1954 GMC Panel Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradyjames

Hello! This old truck was sitting next to my girlfriend's grandpa's barn for the past 15 years rusting and rotting. We were looking for something to travel in and I couldn't think of a more travel worthy vehicle than that ol' 54 Panel. So I had to drag it with my truck from the side of the barn to the front of the barn and got some family to help me wheel it into the barn. It was a pain because one of the front wheels was all rusted and locked up. Once in, up on jack stands it went and the wheels came off and the work began! I'm not so worried about the cosmetics just yet, as I am with the mechanical and functionality of the vehicle. I'm just trying to make it road worthy and mechanically sound.

Since it would barely roll, naturally I started with the wheel bearings and the brakes. Now lets all keep in mind that I am a full time student on a budget (and mind you I'm typing this from my accounting class haha) so I don't have a lot of money to spend. I knew it would need new wheel bearings and so I went to www.classicparts.com to see how much they would be. Each side was going to be over $100, not gunna happen. So I thought I'd look at the wrecking yard, my sister works for pick n pull and so to their website I went. I searched an unlimited radius and I found 1 1954 Chevy 3100. I couldn't believe it. So off I went. When I showed up at the yard, the guy behind the counter told me they didn't have the truck. I said that couldn't be because their inventory online said they had it. So I walked into the yard and the 2nd to last truck was that ol' 54. It was a skeleton of a truck but was it ever a sight for sore eyes!! I noticed it had the front axle and drums on it so off the drums came and inside where wheel bearings in perfect condition! I salvaged them and sitting in the bed of the truck is where I found the real treasure! The original 1954 bench steel tube framed seat!! Have you ever tried looking for one on the web or ebay? THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!! I found one for sale for $1000!! I paid $38 for mine, including the ol' drag link that I needed to take too. I couldn't believe they gave me the wheel bearings for free and their reason was because if they were bad, there was no way I could return them....anyhow...I've included some start up pictures and I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I have enjoyed working on my project. I have tons of more pics but I am only one man and I can only post so much at one time!!

Happy Rat Rodding.

Brady James

Attachments

• Bench Seat vision.jpg
    Bench Seat vision.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 76
  • seat frame.jpg
    seat frame.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 72
  • new brakes (10).jpg
    new brakes (10).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 79
  • new brakes (2).jpg
    new brakes (2).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 72
  • new brakes (3).jpg
    new brakes (3).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 80
  • new brakes (1).jpg
    new brakes (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 73
  • GMC Brakes Driver Side (3).jpg
    GMC Brakes Driver Side (3).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 70
  • new brakes (9).jpg
    new brakes (9).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 141
  • new brakes (14).jpg
    new brakes (14).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 106
  • GMC Brakes Driver Side (1).jpg
    GMC Brakes Driver Side (1).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 88
Old Trucks!

I am in love with yore truck son. I've built a couple 56 Chevy Sedan Deliveries but panels are headturners everywhere they go. I'd love to have one but 3 hotrods might be too many.....??....NOT! Also, it looks like what you've done, you've done very well. Keep up the good work. It is an addiction, you know.

And it does this old guys heart good to see a young guy in this hobby.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you for the kind words Shakey56! I have a ton of pics and lots more work to do!! I will definitely keep them coming so you can check it out anytime!

Wow, that brings back a lot of memories. My grandfather had one he used at his hog farm. I think all of the grand kids learned to drive in it. That thing looks to be in great condition. I can't wait to see more progress on it.

Paul

Panels are just cool. Hardly ever see them driving around. At least around here you dont. Here, every other garage has show-quality iron in it, but they're all hot rods or muscle cars, and with a drag strip a mile away, the other half of the garages have 1/4 mile cars in em.
Here are a few pics of my project. Dam* they take a lot of time, but to me it's therapy. Helps divert my attention from stuff that's not fun.
Keep at it and before long you'll be rumblin' down the road. [cl

Hello everybody! Don't you just love Fridays?! I sure do!! I spent all day working on the ol' Panel.

She got some new shocks, new sway bar bushings, fixed the holes in the gas tank with some old school soldering technology I have never seen before and just continued on a lot of prep sanding...I even found a not so friendly barn creature in my tire today! YIKES!

More to come...

Attachments

• CIMG5679.jpg
    CIMG5679.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 51
  • CIMG5690.jpg
    CIMG5690.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG5662.jpg
    CIMG5662.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 65
  • CIMG5678.jpg
    CIMG5678.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG5675.jpg
    CIMG5675.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG5668.jpg
    CIMG5668.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG5671.jpg
    CIMG5671.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG5669.jpg
    CIMG5669.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 56
  • CIMG5665.jpg
    CIMG5665.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 47
  • CIMG5674.jpg
    CIMG5674.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 50
Friday cont....gas tank repair, cab sanding, sway bar...

Attachments

• CIMG5688.jpg
    CIMG5688.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG5689.jpg
    CIMG5689.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70
  • CIMG5686.jpg
    CIMG5686.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 66
  • CIMG5685.jpg
    CIMG5685.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 65
  • CIMG5663.jpg
    CIMG5663.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 60
  • CIMG5691.jpg
    CIMG5691.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG5690.jpg
    CIMG5690.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
  • CIMG5662.jpg
    CIMG5662.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 66
Brady,

First off, WELCOME!!! to RRR![cl

You're doing great work there and I'm really enjoying seeing your progress-Thanks for sharing!:cool:[P

ZZRodder, the swaybars were a fairly common option on the panel trucks/suburbans of this era (might have even been standard, I can't remember for sure). Keep in mind, there's a fair bit more sheetmetal rollin' around above those skinny leafs than there would be with a pickup truck....;) It's actually a fairly common upgrade with the guys keeping their pickups mostly "stock" to source a panel or 'burb swaybar to add on to their rigs.

To Brady, or anyone else looking for more info (particularily the "obscure, original" stuff), I'd like to offer a couple of links:

www.stovebolt.com

www.oldgmctrucks.com

Both quite in depth on info ont the stockers and mildly "upgraded" trucks. That looks like it's the direction you're going with this panel, so you might find these sites worthwhile.

KEEP THOSE PICS COMIN' YOUNG MAN!!! We love 'em here!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Sunday Funday! Spent the day polishing and sanding with the ol' ball and chain at the barn! Enjoy the pics!!

Any ideas on how to lower the front end of this thing? I just wanna cinch up the gap between the wheel well and tires....

Also....if anyone has some color scheme ideas, post it! I'm gonna keep part of the hood w/ the GMC decals with that patina look...

Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG5687.jpg
    CIMG5687.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 80
  • CIMG5696.jpg
    CIMG5696.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 83
  • CIMG5695.jpg
    CIMG5695.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 77
  • CIMG5702.jpg
    CIMG5702.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 76
  • CIMG5703.jpg
    CIMG5703.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG5706.jpg
    CIMG5706.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Brady James.jpg
    Brady James.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 103
  • michelle my trusty sidekick really my gf.jpg
    michelle my trusty sidekick really my gf.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 118
  • my next project.jpg
    my next project.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 94
Your really tearing through that thing! You're ugly. Your GF's cute. And thank the rust gods you aren't getting rid of all that beautiful patina! [P

Man this is one cool truck ! [cl[cl You just don't see many of these old panel trucks. Looks like you are off to a good start too!

.....however,

Friday cont....gas tank repair, cab sanding, sway bar...

.....sand all you want on the inside of the cab but PLEASE say you are leaving the outside like it is [dr[dr That is some awesome patina !

[P[P

Where to shop for restoration parts!?

Good evening everyone! Where is the best place to shop for restoration parts? I've been picking some things up from classicparts.com but have been a little disappointed in the quality of some of the items I've been receiving....haven't tried Jim's Chevrolet yet...

lemme know...your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Had an uncle who had one. He had some huge winch anchored in back to the frame. Trying to remove a stump he arched the frame. Continued to drive in that way for some time after. They can take a lot.

Latest posts

Back