1955 Chevy 1 ton 4 wheel drive dually rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy knight

This is what the truck looks like now.I have since set the motor,trans,and transfer case in for size.The drive shaft has been made.
I want this to be an all around truck.I am going to try to put goose neck,fifth wheel, and reese hitches on it as well as a snow plow.
The front half of the frame is a Chevy 1 ton dually and the back half of frame is a Ford f-450 dump truck with ten lug nuts and a Dana 80 rear.The front differential is a Dana 60.

Attachments

• P4040063.jpg
    P4040063.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 162
  • P4040062.jpg
    P4040062.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 132
  • P4040060.jpg
    P4040060.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 119
1955 1 ton 4 wheel drive dually

Thanks guys for the positive encouragement.I am a little slow and definitely not normal (lol), so it will probably take me a while to finish but I will post more pics as I go.

1955 4X4 dually

Interesting. What are you going to do to cover up the rear duals?

I am going to use the extensions off an 80s to 90s Dodge dually.They just had a small, kind of squared off extension that has about the same shape and size as what I need.I think I can modify it easily.I do not have them yet but that is my plan.
This rear end is not as wide as a regular dually rear.The box trucks,dump trucks,and other commercial type vehicles had a narrower dual rear.So I do not need as much to cover.

1955 chevy 4 wheel drive dually rat truck

so what motor were you putting in it?

I am putting a 427 Big Block Chevy in it along with a turbo 400 transmission and the big gear driven transfer case.I can't remember the transfer case number ,I think it is a 205 or 203.We set them down in there last weekend to check header fit and to make sure the firewall was in the right place to clear my HEI distributor.It all looks perfect.
The hydra-boost brake system may take a little fabrication but it looks like it will go in OK.

SWEET! I love stuff like this, makes you stop and go "huh?...." Have you thought about stacks?

Keep it up,
Johnson

stacks

SWEET! I love stuff like this, makes you stop and go "huh?...." Have you thought about stacks?

Keep it up,
Johnson

Yes,I have an old pair of lake pipes I am going to use for stacks.That will give it a traditional but in a different way ,,,look.

added pics

We set the 427 Big Block Chevy "Rat Motor" down in with the transmission ,transfer case and headers to check fit and to see if the engine would clear the firewall enough to use an HEI distributor.It all looks perfect so far.Now it all has to come back out for welding and painting.
The other pic is where I welded the F-450 frame to the Chevy 1 ton 4 wheel drive dually frame just in front of the F-450 rear spring shackle.Amazingly enough both frames were the exact width of 34 inches and the exact hight of 8 inches.The only difference was the thickness of the steel.I still have to weld the "fish Plates" over the junction.I cut the frames to give me the right wheel base for the 1955 body.
This body I was told was a funeral home "flower car".I looked it up on the internet and only found Cadillac,Buick,LaSalle and fancy cars that were made into Flower Cars.Maybe this was the poor mans Flower Car lol.
Has anyone any info on this?

Attachments

• P4300404.jpg
    P4300404.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P4300405.jpg
    P4300405.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P4300406.jpg
    P4300406.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts