$2,500 ??? !!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TudorJeff

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• hot rod 1.jpg
    hot rod 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 79
  • street rod 1.jpg
    street rod 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Can u spell M-O-R-O-N!?!?!?!?!

"You see, I told you that you could probably build a car like that for around twenty-five hundred." Yes he said $2,500 (two thousand, five hundred).

I looked at the car owner, he looked at me, then he looked at his buddies in surprise! I asked him if I heard the person right and we both heard the same thing. His buddy said (as the spectator and son walked away) "You should have told him you had that much in the intake and carbs!" Everyone laughed, but I could tell that the car owner was kinda upset.

Can u spell M-O-R-O-N?!?!?! If moron dude thinks he can build one for $2500... I invite him post it here so we can see how he did. They should have a "stupid" meter @ the entry gate at all shows. It's incredible to me how totally stupid some people are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoB

Some people just are clueless. That body is worth more than $2500. I've just learned to take comments like that with a grain of salt. Anytime you put your car on display you are fair game for all kinds of comments, some good, some bad, and some just plain dumb. :D:D:D:D

Don

That guy is in for a RUDD awakening. I am building a LOW buck 50f1 that is nowhere near even started good and I have over $4500 tied up in it. I have about 80% of what I need to build the truck. The donor car was a running 89 IROC Z 350TPI. I would NOT ride in what he builds for $2500. ........ RUSTY

Land of MakeBelieve

He lives in the land of makebelieve where people with money pretend they built their cars because they threw their money at it and it magically appeared. However, in the land of realworld, hard working people know the valve of a buck and build cars for the realworld, pot holes and all.
The makebelievers make their pilgrimage to places like BarrettJackson estates, Fooseville and Coddingtontown each season to suddenly make their cars appear, while the poor realworld people trudge to PickaPart valley and Memory Lane to build their cars.
Never fear, for we have realworld people such as Trip, Don, Flat, Gas and others to lead the people through the storm of billet, into the light........

gassersgarage Does that mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel for nuckelbusters with sore backs and empty pockets like me. ......RUSTY

gassersgarage Does that mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel for nuckelbusters with sore backs and empty pockets like me. ......RUSTY
You got it!:D
The sheer bliss of tooling down the highway for miles on end. Driving through puddles when everyone else has to detour. Parking at a car show without lifting a rag to detail your car. Pulling out a tool kit to fix your rod instead of calling AAA.

I ran into a guy with a trailer queen when I was driving back from a show. Had to take a potty break. He said, "It sure looks like fun!". He will never know...:p

I have to say that if the owner of a car like that doesn't want to hear comments like the one he got....then he should be very specific about stating he's spent fifteen THOUSAND dollars, instead of just throwing out a figure of "fifteen". Most people without a lot of knowledge would never assume that the "fifteen" is in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

Even myself would have been wondering whether it was 1500 or 15000. I consider myself knowledgeable, but also very resourceful. I think it is not out of the realm of possibility to build a similar car for around $2500. Of course you would have to have some very good luck in scoring some deals on parts and all the work would need to be performed yourself.

Here's a picture of the 1933 Chevy that we're in the process of building. We have about $800 into it so far and we're figuring that we'll have about $2,000 in the car when it is done. And yes, we've been fortunate in our scrounging so far and there are a lot of "recycled" materials being used.

I am seriously going to do a recount on the money that I invest in my truck just to make sure I don't go over my 3000 limit. As it stands now, I might have 300$ in it as is.
I consider myself to be very resourcefull and capable of doing what I need to do.
I also hope in the next few years that I will be able to build something from scratch as many of you guys have done here and in the past.

Gassergarage:
I took note of your post and think you are giving me WAY too much credit. But I will take that as a high compliment. Don, Tripp, Gastrick, and many more around here have earned it...Thanks for including me in that crowd of names.

There's always a lot of investment in a rod, sometimes it's cash, sometimes a lifetime of scrounging up goodies. I have just about enough "stuff" to build a '50's style rod, and have $0 invested so far. If I don't count hundreds of gallons of gas burnt on tin trips, buckets of liniment for my sore back, and all the stuff I've swapped to other nuts like myself that they got to before me!

It's possible... just not by me!

Ah, the last 3 replies reminded me of why I stopped posting very much. Thanks for that reminder.

$2,500... it is possible but I do not have those kind of connections, cheap parts r not generally available here & I don't have time to hunt the really cheap stuff down.

BoB

i guess it depends on what you are building specifically. if you want a 34 grill like tiny mentioned (i think..) then you might have to spend more then $2500 to build your car. If you use whatever you can find and modify it or use it in a tasteful way then it's possible to build a car for a lot less. You just can't be picky and you have to have all the necessary tools to get all the work done yourself. that specific car may have been worth alot more then $2500 because of his choice of what he wanted to build. that guy and his kid didn't know because they have never done it, they will learn quickly though as they try to build their own.

Im building a 47 Ford PU Rat Rod and I have been very lucky with getting things for cheap and free and I have much of what I need left over from my muscle car days but I still have close to 2 grand just in the spindles, steering parts, box, brakes and general suspension parts and I have a long way to go before the maiden voyage,hehehe. I still hope to be in the 3000 dollar club though, I hope:eek:........

Jeff,
I don't completely understand your last post.
Would you mind explaining it for me?

Yeah....me either ???

You started a thread with what seemed to be a legitimate question about peoples' perceptions about the cost to construct a hot rod. A few of us gave examples of why the $2500 figure that you and the owner of the car thought was completely out of whack, might actually be realistic. Now you don't want to post anymore? Am I missing something?

I checked out the photos of the build of your 29 Tudor. According to your post, you anticipate spending $13,000 and are not complete yet. I have no idea how much has already been spent on the "running donor car" and how much was for the 29 Ford itself....but I do see a lot of money spent on some nice front and rear suspension and brakes, new steel wheels & tires, a new frame, etc...

All money well spent, but there are a lot of hot rodders that build similar components from junkyard and swap meet parts rather than ordering parts through catalogs. It is often more difficult and more time consuming, but it also contributes significantly to getting the car built economically. Some of the builders simply don't have the money to spend while others just enjoy the challenge of doing it that way.

I'm not saying that one way is better than the other...the point I'm trying to make is that not all rods have to be expensive. I've seen quite a few really nicely done cars that were built on a low budget, and I'm hoping the one I'm working on can be completed to my satisfaction without spending much more than the $2,000 that I've anticipated.

By the way, the 29 looks to be shaping up nicely. Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back