2" carb spacer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

The 2 X 4 Weiand intake on my hemi requires the use of 1" carb spacers. I would like to use 2" spacers to get more room between the carb linkages and the intake. This will make things easier to install the tranny and cruise control cables.
Will the taller spacers create a tunnel ram effect and mess up carburation?:confused:
Thanks
Frank R
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

People say they do. But I have used them an did not see and difference. I had one on a stock 351 Ford with a 650 Holley and it worked fine.

But maybe in a heavy car you may see a difference.

My carb. man always said we can setting up anything to run on what ever you want. He been doing my work since we were racing back in the 70's

In your case it'll have a tendency to give you a little more low end torque, and make your motor feel like it picks up rev's a little faster.....:cool:[P

Carb spacers on the dyno

frankr, I can say from 30 years of dyno tuning, that carb spacers on a dual plane intake will only provide marginal increases if at all. In many cases it will actually require more RPM to produce the same power and torque. A 2 inch spacer on some dual plane intakes can actually rob several horse power and pounds feet of torque. This is regardless if its a 4 hole or open plenum. Now, on a single plane intake, this is where carb spacers shine. On a single plane intake, you can manipulate the power and torque curve by the height of the spacer as well as the type of opening or holes in the spacer. Keeping or isolating the engine heat from the carbs by means of a small spacer and a heat shield is your best plan of attack on a dual plane intake. Torque.

Well....it depends on wht your intake is and what its designed for. All wrenches are diff. on this thought. I use the motors VE and see what its airflow capabilities are, then go from there.
Now, that being said, we've tried to talk it out over at SpeedTalk, we've all got diff. ideas where it helps....sometimes it surprises us! Heres a little food for thought....and read the whole thing, you might be pleasantly surprised....

http://www.automedia.com/Carburetor_Spacers/pht20080701cs/1

Now then, I've calculated the volume of the main chambers and runners and have actually welded lots of spacers onto the intakes and have gone over to the flowbench to get more power. Final product was like the Accel pro-ram....more or less a over glorified version of a Scorpion intake.

It can be done also with dual planes, such as what your talking about.

If you need the spacers to get your carbs on the intake you need them. The extra performance they'll give you is a added bonus. You might have to change them around for optimum performance. But....you can get a slight increase, as I said.

Never mind me though....I've just been a top wrench on several Top teams before opening my own shop....and all the years I've been doing it, theres one piece of advice I can give you...... just to try it!:D[P

Thanks for confirming the fact that I should never come back here, and by the way, I am personal friends with High Flo Joe, at HVH. Good Luck in your new shop.

Theres alot of different info out there, about diff. spacers, and how they're used.... they're not cheap....so research before you buy. Great buys can be had at the swap-meets. I look for them and buy whenever I can. I use then so much on some motors that I usually only have 2 or 3 the most times. Considering I usually buy about 10.

Hey 2muchtorque, about the statement.....-Thanks for confirming the fact that I should never come back here-.... all the info these folks can use is a good thing. I agree with you, that majority of the time...just a regular old spacer doesn't do much....but....you can actually make the motor 'feel' like its doing certain things within the powerband. Sometimes it feels pep-ier, sometimes it goes flat, at others, nothing at all. These folks don't have OUR facilities....we know whats going on with the flo-bench and the dyno-rooms. I was just saying....they just need to try it....after all, its called HOTRODDING!!!!![P[cl

--Will the taller spacers create a tunnel ram effect and mess up carburation?--

NO, it will not. Since you need them for clearance, use them. You'll have a little extra added bonus, too, as you'll see. :cool:

Later

Latest posts

Back