'22 Dodge Brothers roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneeye

I posted a bit about this in the general discussion area a while back. I have now started to make a bit of progress on it.

Here is what I started with.

Attachments

• 22 roadster.jpg
    22 roadster.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 51
I lucked out and scored 3/4's of an early Dodge frame. This will save me a bunch of work trying to duplicate the dogleg in the frame under the cowl. This picture shows the repair on the bottom of the cowl - I have both bottoms repaired. The sheet metal dents on the passenger side are mostly hammered out, probably as good as they will get. Yesterday and today I welded the 2 halfs together. Then I cut out the lower rockers and replaced with new metal. That really stiffened the body up alot! I will get pics of that soon. An old hot rodder is helping me out with this. I have the fab skills I just need pointed in the proper direction since this my first build.

Attachments

• roadsterframe.jpg
    roadsterframe.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 46
Got some more work done the past couple of weeks. I have to cut the ends of the frame off at the proper length and put the rear cross member in and box the original part of it. I am hoping to get the engine and tranny mounts in place next weekend. I have a 2.3 ford with a 4 speed for now. I was hoping for something cooler but an early Dodge Hemi has not been rounded up yet!

Attachments

• framestrapwelds.jpg
    framestrapwelds.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 42
  • roadsterjune18.jpg
    roadsterjune18.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
I gas axed a steering column and box out of a Willys pickup today. I need to get it apart farther and figure out the joint in it as I need to shorten it a bunch. Also cut apart a 12 spring Model A truck spring and removed 5 leafs. I think 7 leafs will be a good starting point for the rear traverse spring.

Attachments

• willysteering.jpg
    willysteering.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
  • uprightroadster.jpg
    uprightroadster.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 41
I spent the day building a rear suspension. Started with a Ford Ranger rear end and a spring and cross-member off from a Model A tanker truck. It may have even been an extra spring because of the weight, the guy I got it from was fuzzy about its origin. I was going to use that cross-member but it was bugly! I ended up just using the center of it. I do believe it is over built but as a beginner I will take that. I just need to cut the new cross-member to length and weld it in place. I am still looking for a front end and will get it in and set up before I do weld the rear in so as to match ride heights.

Pictures this time.

Attachments

• rearendparts.jpg
    rearendparts.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 29
  • rearend.jpg
    rearend.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 34
  • rearshot.jpg
    rearshot.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 35
I figure any donor car with numbers on the door has to be cool.
I finally found an engine donor with an engine ready to bolt in. The 2.3 that I already have is from a newer Mustang and needs to be converted to a carb or I need to figure the fuel injection out. Not much time for either right now. This engine is a slightly warmed Ford 2300 with a 4 speed behind it and we had it running today! Sounds good and it runs 45 lbs of oil pressure!! The car is a Mustang 2 so I also got a complete front end for a future project. I traded an old steel flatbed from a truck that I had and this guy wanted. Hoping to get it pulled this weekend.

Attachments

• hobbystock.jpg
    hobbystock.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back