3.9 dodge v6 in a rod??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

Ok yall so I've got a 3.9 magnum motor I pulled from my ram. I have been trying to find some info on putting it in a rod. Has anyone done this??
What transmission would go behind it?
I'm gonna try for a carb'd motor but I can't find anything about it.
Any ideas??

Camo go down the forum list a couple of threads below your question and look through 'possible engine swap' by MercuryMac. This will help you out. The engine I'm talking about was a 1990 3.9 so was mostly carburated, I think. My friend put a 318LA in where the 3.9 was so you could reverse his combination. He said he could have done the 3.9/318LA swap with one eye shut. What about finding a Dakota with a five speed in it and putting that in your project. Anyhow, read that thread and good luck.

Ok thanks! I'll look that up. I myself have swapped a 3.9 magnum to a 5.9 magnum and I could have done it with one eye shut as well. I just haven't seen a single one done in a ratty before.

The 3.9 is just a 318 with two less cylinders.... Same transmissions, motor mounts, front drives, starters, etc. There should be aftermarket intakes available too. Even the pistons and rods are the same.

That's good to know! Most of what I was wondering g about was that the magnum engines have that key intake on them and direct injection. Apparently you have to change or redrill the heads to put a carb on it. Otherwise you have to change to 1987 dakota heads. Does anone know about this?

Latest posts

Back