331 Hemi C 51-8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Star

Hey guys found this motor for sale what do you guys think? Just looking for a motor to put in a future build. Looking for the hemi look on a budget. Any pros or cons of using this one?

I think it has the extended bell housing. not a big option for trannys.

1951 Chrysler FirePower 331
Model Number: C51-8
Size (cu-in) 331
Power (hp) 180 @ 4000
Torque (lb-ft) 312 @ 2000
Bore (in) 3.8125
Stroke (in) 3.625
Compression 7.5:1
Carburetor 2V
In Valves (in) 1.81
Ex Valves (in) 1.50
Firing Order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Left Bank 1-3-5-7
Right Bank 2-4-6-8
Dry Weight (lbs) 710

Yea I think it is the extended bellhousing. I guess I would have to get an adapter and go from there... With that said would I be better to spend the adapter money and get a 354 or 392?
What are the trans choices with this motor?

Last edited:
we have the same motor in our 33' plymouth.. we used the hot heads adapter plate to allow for chevy 4spd trans

Last edited:
The best option for the extended block is a manual trans. The current crop of auto adapters are not exactly a bolt-up.
The engine itself, even with the small valves and smallish ports, can still make respectable power if you bump the compression to 10:1 and use a decent cam.

As for the 354 and 392, they are alot more money up front even though the adapters have wider range of trans options.

Thanks guys, now the big question whats a core 331 worth? Says it turns over, its assembled, water pump is on it, balancer, valve covers, oil pan, intake, no distributor. Pretty complete, just not sure what a good price would be.

"Hemi on a Budget" :p

You can build 3 pretty hot SBCs for what a moderate Hemi will cost ya.. Depends what ya call a 'budget'...

(I PAID to know this):eek:

PA41

You can build 3 pretty hot SBCs for what a moderate Hemi will cost ya.. Depends what ya call a 'budget'...

PA41

I am paying now to know it!!! The hemi just has a look and sound all it's own.

Ok guys I got it for $750. So now I gotta get rid of the 2 bbl intake and get something a little better.

PA41

I agree from what I have seen that number sounds just about right, but everybodys got a sbc.

Well got some bad news, went to go get the motor and he is missing the lower part of the extended bellhousing. Anybody got one? Would you still get the motor or is this a deal killer? Help Please. Thanks

Bummer...that lower housing is very important. I have seen, and bought, pieces on ebay, but the listings are sporadic at best.
Expect to pay as much as $150 for one.
I would deduct $250 from the asking price.

Well got an update... Found a lower bellhousing and got it coming so going to get engine on saturday..

Ok guys I got it for $750. So now I gotta get rid of the 2 bbl intake and get something a little better.

Nice! The beauty of the Chrysler hemi is that even though the deck height differs among the engine sizes, all the intakes fit. They made up for the difference in deck height with the heads, not the intake.

You do realize that owning a Hemi is a incurable disease...:p

I am learning that quickly. Looks like I gotta find and intake of some kind other than a 2bbl and a trans adapter and flywheel for a chevy 4spd. That will be a good start.

Latest posts

Back