36 Ford Bobber Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a bed that should work. It's a 38. It has a tailgate as well. It's a bit rusty but I'll figure that out.

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

Ya they are! I've been looking pretty long. Paid a bit more for it than I would have if I bought the whole truck and parted it out but I'll pay a lot less with the wife not having the rest of the truck sitting around so I think it was worth it in that regard!

Congrats on the bed. Wish I coulda' found a 38/9 bed. I am using a 47 Chevy bed on my 39. It actually looks OK now that it is a bunch shorter.

Well, not too much to post right now but I did get my front brakes put together and the hubs and spindles are all cleaned up and waiting for bearings, races, and seals so that they can go back together. Other than that, the search for parts continues!

Tyster, thanks! Make sure to look through all of it and don't just follow a step at a time since I made a few mistakes along the way that you can learn from and avoid from the start:D PM me if you have specific questions. I'd be happy to help where I can.

Man, it's been awhile since I posted. I haven't been working on this project enough lately. I lost momentum when I was super sick in the spring and have been slow ever since. I have been collecting parts here and there and I have picked up 2 different motors that I wanted to use for it only to find that neither one was what I was told it was when I bought it. That has been frustrating and irritating but I guess it's part of the game.

I also picked up a 30's Chevy bed that I think I will use instead of the Ford bed. It's in much better shape and the patina is better looking. It will also be easier to shorten since the sides don't have any stamping in them.

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

Man, it's been awhile since I posted. I have been slow on progress but I have been working on stuff. I've mostly been collecting parts. I have also been trying to sort out a motor for the truck and have had to deal with some real *******s. I ended up OK on the deal in the end but I had to fight with the guys for several months to get it sorted out.

Anyway, for cooler stuff, I rebuilt a SignalStat 700 that was in the 36 when I got it. I rewired it so that the indicators on the switch work as left and right indicators rather than showing bad bulbs in the front or rear as it came from the factory. I can write up what I did if anyone is interested.

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

I also picked up some cool rear mount Stewart Warner gauges from a buddy. I had to re-case one of them to get a working gauge in a rear mount case that fits my dash. Turns out that it's pretty hard to find gauges that fit the factory holes in the dash in a 36. I feel like I got pretty lucky with these. The temp gauge is an oil temp gauge but I'll use it as water temp.

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

I found a 50's Cadi/Olds air cleaner to use as well. I actually just got another one with more patina too so I will have to decide which one I want to use once it gets here.

IMG_3863.JPG

Thanks guys.

I haven't really kept track of the hours on the chop. I would say that it's at least 100 and likely a fair bit more though. That being said, it's my first chop, a pretty complicated cab to chop, the roof was caved in when I started, and I made some very time consuming mistakes along the way!

I still have to do the windshield frame, rear window garnish (which holds the glass in), A pillar garnishes and a bit of trim. I need to get back into it but I kinda wanted to take a break from the dust and grime levels that chopping produces in my garage! That, and I was really wanting to get a motor together. The motor is back in the works at least!

I rebuilt a SignalStat 700 that was in the 36 when I got it. I rewired it so that the indicators on the switch work as left and right indicators rather than showing bad bulbs in the front or rear as it came from the factory. I can write up what I did if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. Post in Electrical Q&A????

Good to hear you back Willy. We're on the same track, I think, as I had a devil of a time finding gauges to fit in the '36 dash. And I put a Caddy/Olds batwing air cleaner on my truck too.

Attachments

• right upper hoses.jpg
    right upper hoses.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 29
  • lookin'frontwards.JPG
    lookin'frontwards.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back