'36 Ford Truck (Trey's Truck)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we have been without a camera for a while but the other day me and my dad tacked the rear frame rails back on after shortening them. We also tacked some square tubing in to be our front crossmember. Today while dad was at work I took a grinder to the front axle and smoothed out the top- BTW this is Pauls son Trey (Paul 3)

Yeah, I just got home from work (Dad here....) I have to say that the work on cleaning up the front axle looks great! We will try to work on it all weekend and I'll post up some pictures.

Wow, have not updated the project in a while. We just got back from the shop after drilling a whole lot of rivets from the frame. We broke the frame completely apart to box the rails and refashion the X member. I also ordered our Posies spring to run behind the axle from Bruce's Rod Shop. We came up with a cool idea for boxing the rear portion of the frame rails. We drilled all the rivets and are swapping the inner frame section from side to side. I promise we will post pictures this weekend.

In between other projects I had to do around the house this weekend we managed to get back to work on the truck. We marked up some 1/8 plate and started cutting the boxing plates. Trey is finishing up the other side now.

The rear portion of the frame was doubled with an inner frame piece. We drilled the rivets so we could clean things up and decided that we could modify the inner piece and swap them side to side making the rear section boxed. Here's a quick picture. I'm taking more but I have to use my phone and it takes forever to download.

Rails.jpg

This is the inner frame rail sections from the rear.
rails2.jpg

Last edited:
We took a ride over to Bruce's Rod Shop today and picked up the new Posie's spring. It's a #1023 for running the spring behind the axle. It was a great excuse to go check out some very sweet hot rods too.

Spring.jpg

Second frame rail boxed! We also moved my project car out to my building I have North of here so we have a lot more room in the garage. My building is a 30' X 50' and it's a bummer that it's not close enough right now to work out of. Two more years and it will be right next door!

Looks great [cl finished mine three yrs ago
keep us posted on your progress[;)

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 125
Nice truck Spider! Do you have a build thread on here?
If we could just get this to a roller soon we would be happy. We are going to start looking for a rear end in the next few weeks. Anyone close by have anything for sale?

We've been working on it on and off for the last few days so I took some poor cell phone pics.

Finished boxing the mid and rear portion of the rails. Still have some clean up to do. We're waiting to finalize the rear most part of the rail until we get a better idea of where we're going.
36frame4.jpg

Squared and leveled the frame rails up on these sections of I beam.
36frame1.jpg

Made a front spring perch and tacked it into place. We will make some side gussets later after we confirm the height is right. We are guesstimating it will drop 2" with the engine and trans.
36frame2.jpg

Trey and I got a lot done today. We made the front boxing plates and tacked them in, welded up the engine mounts and made a pair of side reinforcing plates the will go on the outside of the frame. We set the mock-up engine and the trans back in so we can start building the X member.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Question: How many of you are running standard transmissions? what are you doing for a clutch pedal and linkage? Right now we are leaning toward a pedal assembly from Speedway that uses a hydraulic clutch. Currently we are building the truck with a GM 3 speed trans but hope to later find something like a Muncie M21 or a BW-T10 that will swap right in.

Here is a few thought i had more?? and one extra of
my new late nighter ..

Attachments

• C%2520H%2520O%2520P.JPG
    C%2520H%2520O%2520P.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 000_0102.jpg
    000_0102.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 000_0103.jpg
    000_0103.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 107
  • CAB.JPG
    CAB.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 113
  • mytruck%20024.jpg
    mytruck%20024.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 109
  • pics 014.jpg
    pics 014.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 96
  • pics 016.jpg
    pics 016.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 115
Spider, how much did you take out of the roof? Did you lay back the windshield or add metal to the top?

Earthman, the more I look the more we are going with a set of reverse swing pedals for a hydraulic clutch to make things easy.

We are fabbing up some of the rear suspension this weekend.

Tacked up the rear spring mounts and mounted the spring and shackles out back. We are going to start on the spring cross member tomorrow as soon as I can get to the steel yard and get what we need. We are going to use the stock '36 rear control arms and add an upper bar to reinforce them. I'll get some pictures when I can.

Latest posts

Back