'36 Ford Truck (Trey's Truck)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some home projects out of the way so Trey and I got back out in the garage. Tacked up a rear cross member and started setting up the X member. We need to order some parts to finish up the rear suspension so we can get this thing rolling soon. Well here are some really bad cell phone pics!

The driver side half of the X member is in and the passenger side will be in tomorrow after church.
NorthwestHarris-20120310-00072.jpg

NorthwestHarris-20120310-00074.jpg

Tacking up the rear cross member.
NorthwestHarris-20120310-00073.jpg

We went to the Good Guys Lonestar Nationals Saturday and had a great time. There was something there for everyone and I like them all. We checked out my neighbors super high end '50 chevy truck chassis on display and saw a lot of nice cars and trucks. Trey's head is full of ideas now so we got back to work and installed the other side of the X member and came up with a final plan on the rear control arms.

We bought a radiator and a steering box while we were there too.

Set the cab back on to set the engine and trans where we want them and get a few measurements. It was nice to see it back together even if it's just for a few days.

cabon2.jpg

Unfortunately that's how we bought it. Trey saw a lot of hot rods this last weekend so he's got some ideas of how he wants to paint it. He likes the old hot rod look but we don't want to say the word "Traditional" LOL........

Does anyone know the dimension on a small block Chevy from the face of the block to the center of a single grove pulley using a short pump?

Edit: I found a good reference. 3.22"

350dim1.jpg

Last edited:
Engine mounts are made and tacked in place. We also got a package from Speedway so we are building our rear bars. I ordered some 7/8" DOM tubing and threaded one end 5/8"-18 for a clevis. We are going to cut the weld on the lower '36 Wishbone and remove the old forging, then weld in a piece that we are making that will mount to the lower hole on the rear end bracket in double shear. Anyone see any problems with that setup? We might put a reinforcing plate about midway down the bars.

EngineMount.jpg

controlArm.jpg

Last edited:
We got these all made up today after work. Trey is going to get everything ready at the rear axle to tack them on tomorrow when he gets home from school. We'll start building a cross member for them then.

RearArms1.jpg

RearArms2.jpg

I would add a plate with speed holes. It will effectivly make the upper arm section shorter and there fore stronger. Looks good! Oh, I will be stealing your idea about flipping the inner frame sections around on my 35 ford![cl

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking I might add some plates about midway. The "Speed Holes" will go with the rest of the build. Steal away on that rear frame idea. I will be very interested in seeing what you come up with!

I'm going to cut some plate for the rear arms at work tomorrow but in the mean time Trey mocked up the rear.

RearArms3.jpg

RearArms4.jpg

Yea 36 pickups

Paul glad to see your sons truck is coming along so well. He is lucky to be working with his dad building what he wants and at the same time to have the chance to learn to build it properly and safely. I appreciate you sharing your idea for sinking the wishbones but as I mentioned I had already "massaged" the body. It doesn't look bad. I am glad that you could mount your front spring perches close to what I did. I didn't want to suicide my front end because I wanted to "hide" my spring so I chose to run my spring perches through the wishbones for a couple more inches of drop. Hope you got the information about the steering arms I used (Speedway). Will be looking forward to seeing your truck on the road. I will stay tuned. Later Steve

Thanks for the compliments Steve. We're having a good time building it. I told Trey that it would get built a lot faster as soon as he gets a job! He got his drivers license two weeks ago.

Just stopped by your build thread and found the info for the steering arms. Thanks.

Cool

Paul glad you got the info and it is best to instill that good old work ethic as soon as possible. It took me too long in life to quit playing and collect some nickels. Now I have to sell, trade and do side work to finish my build. I don't want to take from the household budget. I think I will appreciate the finished (never will be) project. Have fun and you guys "drive it like you own it". I will be watching. Steve

Engine is in the truck and we roughed out the cutout in the firewall. We will have to trim out some more for the distributor and some extra clearances here and there but we think this is about what we need. We are going to try to go pick up the new rear end Sunday. I brought home a better camera from work so here's a new pic. Thanks for all the support.

engine.jpg

No kidding! Trey's all revved up but unfortunately I have to keep putting on the brakes to get other things done that need attention. Yesterday we had to drive up to our place up North and tear down our tractor to fix the hydraulics and do some mowing. Today we were going to go get the rear end but now I have to help a friend go get a car.

Picked up this Ford 8" out of a 70 Mustang. Trey had it cleaned up when I got home from work so we knocked the brackets off the S-10 rear axle and swapped everything over. It's a bad cell phone pic but I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow.

Rear8end.jpg

Latest posts

Back