37 buick special build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drptop70ss

Just found this site recently, very cool! Figured I would put up a build thread for my 37 buick, not something you see much of as far as rat rods. Got this from a friend, sat for who knows how many years and I decided to build it just for the fun of it after messing with 60s-70s muscle cars for many years. Plan was to make it safe and reliable, drive anywhere without paint :) Car is almost finished now, but I will start from the beginning since I like reading builds from start to finish.

car as found

0000001.jpg

000001.jpg

006.jpg

Disassembly starts, decision was made to put the body on an S10 chassis, original chassis was straight and rust free so it was kept for the previous owner.

020a.jpg

020.jpg

026.jpg

body off and good look at all the rust

27.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

original chassis going back to the previous owner

034.jpg

lining up the body with the S10 chassis, had to channel the body to get it down low enough.

036.jpg

038.jpg

trunk area

039.jpg

very tight up front at the steering box, this caused a lot of grief and I could not get the front wheel perfectly centered in the fender opening. I had it centered but would of had the car sitting too high, I wanted it low and that shifted the body further forward.

041.jpg

wheel base mismatch

042.jpg

rear end moved forward and some bigger tires that fit after mini tubbing the car, pics to come.

47.jpg

Wow I'm liking this one already! It's refreshing to see someone building a car, seems like everyone here is building trucks, truck and more trucks........me included of course:eek::D
Glad you found us, welcome aboard and keep them pics coming![P[P

Thanks, should be fun driving it, and I bet NOBODY parks near me for fear of tetanus! More pics..had to mini tub the car to fit the bigger tires, but it needed so much work in the trunk it wasnt a big deal.

wheel wells were too narrow

49.jpg

cut em out

52.jpg

widened about 2". Did the same on both sides. In the name of low budget most steel used was cut from hoods or other scrap sheet metal parts that were around.

53.jpg

Dropped in an engine and trans for mockup to build the engine/trans mounts and trans tunnel done. The way the frame worked with the car the engine was going to be set back further than the normal mounting spot so new mounts were needed. Used the 73 up chevy clamshell mounts since they are much stronger than the earlier style. Not as clean looking but fine for a fat fendered car and they never break. Trans crossmember is a 2nd gen camaro with tabs I made to mount it. Used a chevy drivetrain since I had it around, low budget being stuck to. Trans is a 700r4 from an 87 trans am.

070.jpg

067.jpg

072.jpg

Floors welded in

079.jpg

Body pulled to do finish welding on the frame. I had already made all the body mounts and tacked them to the frame when it was mocked up.

080.jpg

Frame in primer

083.jpg

and painted

085.jpg

Rear suspension done with new 3" lowering leafs, new brakes, shackles, etc..

088.jpg

front suspension done with new front end parts, new brakes, v8 springs, and 2" drop spindles. Ended up later going back to regular spindles, car was less than 4" off the ground with these and a speed bump would of killed me.

089.jpg

thats it for tonight, will get some more up tomorrow.

Not sure what the trophy is, but as far as getting the car done fast remember I started this mess in May of last year. So by the time it is finished (has to be done by the middle of May for a car show which inspired this whole deal) I will have a year of time in it working on it here and there. Of course finished means it is safe and legal to drive, there will be no finished interior or paint as planned. But thanks :)

quick update and then going to work on it! Took some vacation days this week.

Made some brackets to get the car on the rotisserie

096a.jpg

in the air for underside welding, seam sealing, etc..

097.jpg

one of the rocker repairs, new metal welded in

102.jpg

103.jpg

grinding welds and sealing it up

110.jpg

sprayed with undercoating

112.jpg

Last edited:
another update before I am out again, did the headlights today but those pics will be awhile off!

body back on and nose mocked up

115.jpg

bracing added under trunk floor for some support

117.jpg

Found a website that had different gas tank sizes, turns out a 55 chevy tank would work great for this project. Had to relocate the gas fil to the drivers side but it was a better way to go.

118.jpg

tank fit great, tucked up nicely. Had to make a sending unit using parts from the 55 unit an a universal 0-90 ohm sender to get one to work. Think the 55 was 0-30 ohm, NG for any moden gas gauge.

120.jpg

Latest posts

Back