37 packard hot rod build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustywrench

37 packard hot rod build UPDATED PICS!

just thought i'd share a few pics and words of my 37 packard build. its a 4 door which is in good shape. i have no fenders or grille for it but thats cool. i wouldnt use fenders anyway and a grille from something else will certainly work. i'm using the front suspension and frame stub from a 51 ford 1/2 ton pickup. i'm using it for 2 reasons. the packard came sitting on a modified 77 monte carlo frame which was poorly done and looks terrible. the truck front suspension has been rebuilt. i plan to zee the frame to get the body in the weeds. it will get a pretty radical 455 olds motor. t/400 trans and a frankland quick change rear. i'll be using ladder bar rear suspension. ok , heres a few pics. the first one is bringing it into the shop finallt. ive owned it for about a year.
37packardguido7-copy.jpg

Last edited:
i stripped the interior. it had some kinda seats from a modern car in it. as can be seen its solid. it had pleated door panels that i'll keep
37packard3-copy.jpg

here i mocked up the motor in the frame to see where the body will sit and find out where and how much i need to zee the frame. looks like 10 inches of drop will put the rocker 4 inches off the ground. the motor ended up a little further back to make room for the zoomie headers i'm going to build.
packardframe1-copy.jpg

here i mocked up the intake and carb. if my measurements are right the top of the velocity stack will be right about roof level once done. i like that. i'll probably use some other scoop on the carb. but the stack looks ok for now. i'm hoping to do some cutting and welding on the frame tomorrow.
packardmotormockup1-copy.jpg

the intake choice is actually a matter of using what i have on hand. in fact this whole car is pretty much a chance to use up a bunch of stuff ive accumulated. tommorrow i'll get pics of the wheel/tire combo i'm planning to use.

this is the rear i'm using on this project. its a frankland quick change. still needs more cleaning and brackets cut off and new ones welded on.
frankland1-copy.jpg

for those unfamiliar with quick change rears. this is why they are called that. simply pull the rear cover off and either swap the gears top to bottom or swap gearsets. its takes only a minute or so. this rear has a 4:11 ring and pinion. with this gear set the final ratio is 5.65 with the big gear on top and 2.99 with the big gear on bottom.
frankland2-copy.jpg

i got some work done on the frame today. here is where i cut the frame. i welded on a few braces so the frame didnt go boing when i cut it. as it turns out i should have put a brace on the bottom too. i had to straighten the rails when i welded the drop in. i did a 10 inch drop.
packardframez3-copy.jpg

here the z is about done. still some final welding to do and i'm going to add a crossmember at the lower end of the drop to stiffen it up.
packardframez1-copy.jpg

these are the wheels i'll use on the front. theyre 19 inch ford wheels. anyone know the original application for them. i have 5 of them.
packardfrontwheel-copy.jpg

Man that's a pretty hefty "Z" rustywrench. Love the quick change. My dad had a Frankland that we thought we were going to use in something someday but he ended up selling it along with several gear sets, spare axles and such.

these are the wheels i'll use on the front. theyre 19 inch ford wheels. anyone know the original application for them. i have 5 of them.

1930-31 Model A Ford wheels are 19 X 4.75. That's what they look like to me. I'm no expert though. The 28-29 wheels are 21" I believe. The 35 wires are 16".

Nice!!!

Wrench,
Love u're project & am lookin' forward to seein' u're progress. That will make an awesome car... thanks for sharin'!!!

BoB

thanks for the kudo's. as for the big drop, right now the frame has low profile 15 inch front tires on it. once i put the 19 inchers on it'll come up some. besides who said this contraption is practical, lol.

Latest posts

Back