37 packard hot rod build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radiator in rear

ben (440shorty) came up with the idea to put the radiator in the rear. we were discussing the rad location in his s-10 and my packard came up. this pic shows theres a ton of room to put it. i'll mount it on an angle just under the rear window.
packardrearmockup1-copy.jpg
Nothing floats my boat more than an open wheel front end with NO radiator. I say go for it,rest looks killer man keep it up.LFE

yeah LFE i'm really embracing the rear radiator idea. on that note ive been thinking about the front of the car. do i put an empty rad shell there. i'm going to use a moon tank i have. do i even need to put anything but the moon tank and headlights. any other ideas? something that goes with the direction of this build which is a drag race/dirt track car kinda deal. maybe a bumper that looks like an old modified, kinda like a football helmet face mask.

What I would do

yeah LFE i'm really embracing the rear radiator idea. on that note ive been thinking about the front of the car. do i put an empty rad shell there. i'm going to use a moon tank i have. do i even need to put anything but the moon tank and headlights. any other ideas? something that goes with the direction of this build which is a drag race/dirt track car kinda deal. maybe a bumper that looks like an old modified, kinda like a football helmet face mask.
If I ever build another one it WILL have the rad in the rear. A moon tank will be in front of motor,copper tubing to get water back to rad ( just where it shows of course ) and nothing else except a Bonehead gizmo over my spring perch. A well done IFS would look good too. Pics are my buds 39.

Attachments

• DSCN2568.jpg
    DSCN2568.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2573[1].jpg
    DSCN2573[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2578.jpg
    DSCN2578.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26
thought i'd post a few update pics. the rear suspension is mocked up except for the shocks, going to work on that tomorrow. the U-bolts that are holding the springs will be eliminated later. once i box the frame i'm going to mount angles on either side of the frame and use nuts and bolts instead of U-bolts.
arearsusp1-copy.jpg

i also started making the zoomies. this side is about finished. i also finished mocking up the motor mounts, trans crossmember and mount, and put round pipe in the front of the frame to finish it off since it wont have a bumper.
azoomie3-copy.jpg

its a rolling chassis now! thats sort of a milestone i guess. feels like it. in the previous pic you can see a manual s-10 steering box i plan to mount on its side and use. since ive never seen this done is there a reason i'm missing? will it work laying on its side? i know the geometry seems right.
apackchassis1-copy.jpg

bonehead...since i'm putting the radiator in the back, i'm going to try not to use a grille of any kind. i want the engine to be front and center. do these lights look ok with this car? i like em. but i wonder what smaller ones would look like.

That's why I asked, You want to avoid a "MIckeyMouse" look with two big lights. Yours looks okay to me , but I think the lights may be taking some away from the engine. I was thinking an open grill shell. But like I said before, it is such a different look, nothing really will look out of place. People will look and say, "oh, that's how it looks on one of those". Maybe just some arms to bring the lights up and out. It is really hard to do by looking at pictures. When I mounted my lights. I took a head on picture, and Photo shopped lights in different locations until I was happy.

Here are the 1st 5 I went with smaller lights I think here. (check out those times)

Attachments

• headlites.jpg
    headlites.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 20
  • headlites2.jpg
    headlites2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 17
  • headlites3.jpg
    headlites3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 16
  • headlites4.jpg
    headlites4.jpg