383 ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

333EVL

Short story longer . . .

I bought my '39 I-H off of ebay and found that the 327 was bad (this is the only issue I've had on ebay. I've boughten over 170 items, 6 of 'em vehicles). I bought a 350 out of a 60s impala and founf out that was bad (ongoing drama, I'm saving for his (the sellers) mama). It's going to be my daily. Since the foundation for the motor is fine I want to convert to a 383. Money IS a concern. Has anybody used the kits out there, have a combination that they recommend or recommend somrthing else? It'll connect to a TH400.

All feedback will be appreciated.

Bob-

I think the cheapest way to get it back and running would be just to repair the 350 in a fairly stock trim.
I'm assuming that by sayig "foundation" you mean parts of the 350 engine.

A 383 is cool but it will cost significantly more to 'make'.

I don't think there would have to be that much of a difference in power between the two. If it's a daily it's probably not going to be 'built-to-the-hilt' anyway so with a mild build the two engines could be very comparable. I wonder if the extra expense justifies the few extra cubic inches.

What was wrong witht he 350?

Hat

Thanks for the input, Jay!

There's warpage. I just thought since it was apart and I needed to rebuild it anyway a 383 kit would work.

If money's an object, rebuild the 350. Any 383 kit will require machine work to the block and a special cam to clear the crank throws. If you rebuild the 350, you can reuse a lot of the parts.

I'm gonna go with Gassersgarage on this...
If you only rebuild what you have, you will still have an "Ole Reliable". Wait till you can say "Money is not that big a deal" before you spend all the money on machine work.

Either way it goes, it is your money and your project. That is only my 2 cents worth.

Keep us posted on whatever you do.

I'm going to agree that if funds are an issue, I'd stay with the 350 rebuild. It's easy to make decent power with the 350 on the cheap. There's also some other parts purchases to consider with the 383 conversion. The required 400 crankshaft is externally balanced. You will need to buy a different flywheel/flexplate and balancer. Some of the kits may come with those parts though.

If you go with the 383 and decide on the kit.Make sure the kit is complete from balancer to flywheel or flexplate.I have seen guys piece them together with all kinds of problems with really bad harmonics(Bad Vibration) in the end.If you do I just rec that you do it right the first time.Just my .2 cents.

Latest posts

Back