39 axle under 63 F100 Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

Okay, I've got a dillema, my pickup is almost ready to go and my rod is nowhere near finished, and I'm pretty much out of funds again, and the pickup is just lacking driveshaft, fuel pump, tank, radiator, belts hoses, and new battery, some steering and a little brake work, mainly new master cylinder and it will be ready to go again for the first time in about 6 years.

So PLEASE tell me if this will possibly work, and the positives/negatives that you could foresee, I've seen them used in gasser cars with BBC setups and pulling wheelies so I figured I could get away with it.

I just finished rebuilding a 39 Ford pickup front axle a month or so ago, about $400 in parts and labor in it, new kingpins and bushings, disc brake kit for heavy or fat fendered cars from speedway, and prep, paint and powdercoat. The plan is to mount the split bones for correct caster angle at ride height and run either an adjustable coilover or airbag setup.

I need to know if this will handle the weight of the truck with a 460/C6 up front, the truck will mainly be an in town cruiser, maybe 15-20 miles of highway once in a while, and at least one trip down the 1/4.

From everything that I've ever read on the subject of the old forged ford straight axels they are very strong units. I would think you could run with it no problem. I mean really your not going to be hauling gravel with it...... just a$$. :D

Although it was not used on as heavy a vehicle, it should be fine. Everything back then was over built, as opposed to today. The weak link being the bearings, keep checking them.

Bonehead, it's got the new style bearings since I put in the kit from Speedway, they would be ok for a while I imagine as long as like you say I keep checking them and keep em' greased up.

Latest posts

Back