41 plymouth truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's over a six figure 71 cuda, not mine.
IMG_20120922_162447_zps6666d928.jpg

IMG_20120922_162430_zpsdd9376f2.jpg

we got the rear cross bar in, and the air bags for the rear suspension mounted.
IMG_20120929_110339.jpg

IMG_20120929_110346.jpg

IMG_20120929_134058.jpg

IMG_20120929_151650.jpg

IMG_20120929_151658.jpg

IMG_20120929_151706.jpg

we didn't like the way the 4 link was,,, so we ripped it apart and started again.

IMG_20121020_153014.jpg

IMG_20121020_153031.jpg

IMG_20121020_153043.jpg

IMG_20121013_122546.jpg

IMG_20121020_152955.jpg

set the cab on just to see where everything is sitting. it wont sit this height when it's done. it'll be flat on the ground.

IMG_20121020_101203.jpg

IMG_20121020_101155.jpg

I see the vision now on the rear frame, and the width [cl
I really like the looks of the rear setup, and the cab looks great with the patina!

I don't know much about air bags, so I been watching on here to see how you guys make it all work.

I have a question that I struggled with when I was looking at air bags for my ride when I was thinking of going that way: On your cantilever setup there, would you need a method of keeping the plate on top of the air bag moving straight in line with the air bag? I know you have pivots on it, but how will it work without making sure it all stays in line?

These are purely informational questions, like I said I have no experience with air bags, just the twisted theory in my head!

Now that Dirtyrat brings it up, I wonder if that set up will put side stress on the bags? Might be better to not have a pivot on the bag side of the arm? I know the bags can take a angle between the top and bottom plates OK, like on a IFS A-arm set up. Yours looks like it might add a lot of shear? All armchair theories I know. So I'll wait for pics or videos of it working. [P ...but not patiently. :D

I was thinking of a linear guide plate for the pin on top of the bag, but it would require more than that to keep it moving in a linear fashion....

I'm tuned in to see the function.

I'm gonna be the bad guy. Some of the individual components look neat, but as a whole unit...the rear suspension/frame looks bad (not the good kind of bad either).

I was excited by the fabricated rear frame rails, but your suspension isn't doing the previous work any justice. The front four link brackets look really out of place....not located wrong, but like they shouldn't be stuck on the side of the frame rails.

Stand back and figure this out. [S

The suspension needs to be as organic and flowing as the frame rails.

You have it in you to come up with something better than this.

IMG_20121020_152955.jpg

we did some changes on the air bag mounts, there wont be a pivot point on top of the bag. i'll get more pic this weekend.

I'm gonna be the bad guy. Some of the individual components look neat, but as a whole unit...the rear suspension/frame looks bad (not the good kind of bad either).

I was excited by the fabricated rear frame rails, but your suspension isn't doing the previous work any justice. The front four link brackets look really out of place....not located wrong, but like they shouldn't be stuck on the side of the frame rails.

Stand back and figure this out. [S

The suspension needs to be as organic and flowing as the frame rails.

You have it in you to come up with something better than this.

thank you for the constructive criticism, i know what you're talking about. i was thinking it wouldn't look so bad with the cab on. it kind of got to me because this was the third setup for the four link and at this point i just kind of wanted it to be finished. this setup was the best for the pinion angel and the front to back movement. i'll play with it more and see what i can come up with.
thanks

I'm almost thinking maybe a straight 4 link would work out better, space your front 4 link mount out from the frame, and I went back to look at your pics, is there a panhard bar somewhere I'm missing?

Also, it will be good to see the function of the air bag raised and lowered, I know they can take some offset so hopefully you can get it functioning as you like with adjustments on the mount.

got a little work done on it today, we did change the bag mounts and looks that everything will work ok. next weekend we'll get the diff under it and put some air to the bags to make sure everything is moving like it should.

looking at the 4-link we did decide to change it up. for now we're going leave it the way it is until we get it a rolling chassis and the cab gets mounted on.

thanks to the guys that pushed that it didn't look good, other wise it would have stayed the same.

IMG_20121103_113316.jpg

IMG_20121103_113227.jpg

didn't get a lot of work done on it today, had to pull the converter out of the ram. sent it in for a nitrous tune and looks like the edge stall converter is slipping.
IMG_20121103_123455.jpg

Latest posts

Back