46 Ford rusty cab, my first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the E-brake in. Sunk it into the tunnel 1 1/2 inches to keep it low.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1199.jpg
    DSCF1199.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1198.jpg
    DSCF1198.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49
I sprayed the underside today with dupli-color bed liner spray. Suppose to be hard as nails....Thinking of doing the inside also with it.

Attachments

• DSCF1200.jpg
    DSCF1200.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1201.jpg
    DSCF1201.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Your e-brake installation is very nice. I might have to copy that, If you don't mind. Did you spray the bottom with aerosol cans or a gun? It sure looks good.

Thanks Sam.

Your e-brake installation is very nice. I might have to copy that, If you don't mind. Did you spray the bottom with aerosol cans or a gun? It sure looks good.

Bob W.-Hey that wasnt my idea, copied it myself so fill free to copy my copy.......:D. Honda Accord brake lever. I just removed the outer cover, taped up the handle and spray her satin black. The pocket in 1 1/2 inches deep. Welded the nuts to the bottom side of the pocket.

The dupli-color is from a spray can. HF has it for $7.99 a can, tooks three cans to do it. Going to use the same thing on the inside too.

Larry

Update on my build

I got the wood filler pieces made and installed in the floorpans along with the rubber mats over the weekend.

Also rolled it outside and gave it a well deserved bath. Man its amazing how much dust can collect on things just setting around.

I still need to repaint the grille shell and tank and mount the headlights. Plus a few other things but she getting close to finish now.

She cleaned up pretty good I think.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1207.jpg
    DSCF1207.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF1209.jpg
    DSCF1209.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1210.jpg
    DSCF1210.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1211.jpg
    DSCF1211.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF1213.jpg
    DSCF1213.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 74
Update

Its been a while since I posted about my rat build so here goes with an update.

Today I got the windshield installed and finished installing the dash. All the gauges are mounted. Still have to do the wiring and run the speedometer cable but the build is coming along nicely now.

Had to make a list of things I needed to do so I wouldnt forget and miss something. The list is getting shorter and so is my wallet. Seems the closer I get to the end the more things are starting to cost but its all well worth it I think. Speedway has backordered my wiring harness so that wont be done until after the first of the year but got plently of other things to do in the meantime.

A friend from Ill. sent me a STOP light for a Christmas present. Just got to figure out where and how I want to mount it now. I want to run a flasher on it so it flashes STOP when it is light up.

Anyway thats about where I am in my build now. Heres a couple of pic's to bring you guys up to speed on it.

Thanks for your interest.
Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1240.jpg
    DSCF1240.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1234.jpg
    DSCF1234.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF1239.jpg
    DSCF1239.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
Movin right along on it. Inside looks good. I always like those stop lights.

If you haven't mounted that light yet, try putting it to one side so you can put the license plate on the other ans it will balance. Just a thought...

Everytime I bring up this build, I'm impressed at how good the windshield frame looks.

Thanks Sam, good idea about where to mount the light and the plate. Hadnt thought of that before but I like it.

The windshield frame is stock, nothing has changed there. When I laid it out I set my calipers to the size of the a-column to the rain gutter and scribbed a line as to where to cut.

Thanks again for your interest in my build.
Larry

Graphics

Started laying on the graphics today. I wanted to honor my old unit from Nam so I designed these door graphics along with the help from a friend up in Ill.

Let me know what you think. Likes and dislikes. I know ratrods arent suppose to have paint on them but I just couldnt help myself...:eek:

Enjoy.
Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1251.jpg
    DSCF1251.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF1252.jpg
    DSCF1252.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF1253.jpg
    DSCF1253.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1254.jpg
    DSCF1254.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF1255.jpg
    DSCF1255.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 49
Thanks dmw56. Glad you like it.

Seems since I put paint on it no one likes to make comments on the build. Guess it's too much of a hotrod now in some eyes and not a ratrod anymore.

Oh well, doesnt matter I still like it and it pleases me.

Thanks again dmw56.
Larry

looks good larry....i'm sure proud of what you've done on this thing....don't worry about the lack of comments....alot of builds right now -so many i can't even keep up with them all! i always enjoy reading yours, it just seems like a very well thought out and well documented thread.....thanks & God bless

HRP

I really like the door art. Also interested in how it rides with the rear shock/coils you used. They could be an economical option to expensive coilovers. After I finish the two I'm working on, I'm thinking of building one along the lines of yours and Doug 'n Dog's. Yours sure came out nice.

It's your attention to detail that reall makes it stand out. Everything looks like it should be there.

I want to suggest that you use the old white military stencils, like for the back "VIETNAM VETERAN", but I won't. It would look good on a rustier rat, but on yours, it would look off compared to the rest of it.

Yours is a clean lookin' lab rat, and us plain ol' sewer rats are envious. :cool:

About time for you to take it out for a photo shoot?

BUSTEDKNUCKLE: Though I did start out wanting to just build a rusty ratrod I guess all my years in bodywork wouldnt let it stay that way. Something in me say I got to fix metal..:D

Sam_Fear: I really did think about using the old white on the lettering but between my daughter buying vet stickers and after seeing how the paint came out I decided to go with more of a colorful graphics.
Lab rat, I think I like that....:rolleyes::D and dont cut yourself short on your builds either, yall aint sewer rats, yall down right good grease monkeys as we call it around here.

bob w: I door graphic was a design I came up with and a buddy from Ill. fine tuned it for me. Together I think we came up with a good design that brings honor to my old Viet Nam unit, or at least I hope I have. Those rear shocks came off the rear of a 89 Honda Accord. I figured if it work on that car it should work on mine too. Besides they were cheap.;)

hotwheels: Thanks man. Kinda has that shealths look to it I think. Goes with the military theme of the car too.

hotrod preacher: And finally to my brother in Christ Jesus. After seeing the rides you have built my friend I take it as a great honor the kind words coming from you. God bless you my brother and keep looking up. kjv-Matt. 24:44[cl

Got my seats back today from the upholster, whats cha think about these now?

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1272.jpg
    DSCF1272.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1273.jpg
    DSCF1273.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1274.jpg
    DSCF1274.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 32
They go well with the rest of your build. Creative and personal. I like 'em a lot. Got a pair of old van seats similar to those waiting for a project.

Latest posts

Back