46 Ford rusty cab, my first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main concern is with your set up like that, is your rack is going to have to move with the axle. That means your steering shaft is going to have to move also, which I see as a problem (not only will the shaft have to move up and down, but it will have to have a slider in it to expand and contract as the axle moves). I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would have to question how reliable (safe) it would be. Also with that much movement, you would have a heck of a feed back through the steering wheel, and I'm not sure it would be a positive feel. Plus, you'd be looking at premature wear on any steering u joints

Steering boxes and racks are normally mounted solid to the frame so they can't move.

thats how i done my 40 ford, almost exact same setup, and i did put a slider(junkyard part) got the steering knuckles there too. a lot cheaper than new!![cl

thats how i done my 40 ford, almost exact same setup, and i did put a slider(junkyard part) got the steering knuckles there too. a lot cheaper than new!![cl

this is what it looked like when i bought it, everytime it hit a bump it would tow out, not good... thats why i changed it to what you have now works fine

Attachments

• m_a9ac37ff80484ac4abe97d6f633ff1eb.jpg
    m_a9ac37ff80484ac4abe97d6f633ff1eb.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 74
Battery Box

I got my battery box built and installed today.[cl

I ended up mounting it on the framerail instead of the firewall as originally planned. If I was to mount it on the firewall I wouldnt be able to pull the dipstick on the motor or the transmission because the body sets so low on the frame. I think this will work good mounted here because it clears everything and sets down low which is a plus just above the starter. Short cables.:D

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0707.jpg
    DSCF0707.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0708.jpg
    DSCF0708.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 51
WOW!!! It has been a while since I posted anything on my build, found my thread way back on the 6th page.

I did get the engine fires last week. Runs great.[cl RPM's come up fast without any drag and it idles with 42lbs of oil preasure. Not too bad for a 46 year old stock engine.

I am pulling the cam and lifters and removing the head to do a valve job.

The bottom end sounds really good, no smoke, knocks or rattles which is a good thing.

Havent done much on the body or frame lately but will get back on those in the near future while I save some money to buy my engine parts.

Larry

Last edited:
well i'll tell ya, RC-i've not been payin attention apparently, i take a look at your truck this mornin and it's a roadster!:eek::cool:
i didn't know about you doin that---but i like it--so much in fact that i want to build one too!!:D:D

already thinking about where to start scrounging up parts......
let's see, i've got an "extra" 47 ford cab&doors.....a 302 auto hiding under the hood of a another junker.....a straight axle and a rear end---now all i need is the rest of it!!lol:D

keep us posted --i promise i'll look more often

Hey HRP, Good to hear from ya brother. A roadster has been in the plans all along being the top had more holes in it than swiss cheese.:D I was going to chop the windshield 3-4 inches but after I stood back and looked at it I decided to leave it as is.

Figured it was eazier to remove the top than to replace it and I do kinda like that look too.[P

Will keep ya posted.

Larry

Thanks 39chev, Pulled the cam and lifters out, all shot to say the least. Just can't figure out why a cam that is 46 year old would be shot............:D Got a new one coming soon.

Spend the weekend cleaning everything. It's been a long time since I have been in a engine, almost forgot about how many parts in there that need cleaning before going back together. Oh well nothing better to do at the moment. Clean is good.

Will keep you posted.[P

Larry

Got the block back from the machine shop yesterday and primed and painted it. Now the fun begins, building her back up.[cl

Attachments

• DSCF0784.jpg
    DSCF0784.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0785.jpg
    DSCF0785.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0787.jpg
    DSCF0787.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0788.jpg
    DSCF0788.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 25
there's nothing any more fun than assembling a fresh engine.....:D

i will mention though, that i would def. check ALL the clearances w/ plastiguage--my brother has recently had some nightmarish experiences with an inexperienced machinist--can you say "found a different machineshop and had to have some work redone":confused::D

hope ya have fun puttin' her back together--now get that thing goin!!:D

Got the bottom end put together today. All I can say is SWEET!!!!!!! Smooth as a baby's bottom:D

Sorry to hear about your brothers bad luck with a machine shop. :(

All I had done was cam bearings. Everything else looks good. [cl

Happy days are finally here.

Got the motor completed and back in the frame and fired up. I am please with what I have so far but I think I will send the head out for new valves and seats. The motor runs sweet with no noise from inside.[cl

I've spend this much on it and it would be a shame not to go a ahead and have the valves done. I only lapped them during the rebuild but I am afraid the exhaust may not be seating properly causing a slight pop while running.
rather be on the safe side and get it done right. I do want it to last a while.
Had a bit of a water leak also around the first and last header bolts, forgot the RTV on the threads.[S

Anyway I thought I would post a couple of pic's of it again.[P

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0794.jpg
    DSCF0794.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0792.jpg
    DSCF0792.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 71
While I am saving the money to get the head reworked I started doing a little body work on the cab this weekend.

I cut out the old air vent and the top of the cowl section and replaced it with all new metal. I know it suppose to be a rat but the old bodyman in me cant get away from repairing the body. Dont hold it against me..:)

I thought I would post a before and after picture of what I have done.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0606.JPG
    DSCF0606.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF1075.jpg
    DSCF1075.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
After reading and seeing what Dougndog had done with his 46, his build has inspired me as to what I am going to do with mine. I talked with him about copying a few of he ideas and he has agreed it would be ok.

This pass weekend I started cutting and trimming the driver side door and cut off the bottom of door to remove what needed to be replaced. I started with the doors first due to the fact of not having a floor in this cab yet and by doing the doors first I believe it will help me keep the body lines straighter when I start cutting the top and windshield. I have the cab braced and supported so hopefully it will not move as I do the cutting.

Here's a couple of pictures of my progress.
DSCF0645.jpg

I am going to shave the handles, kinda like the smooth look.
DSCF0646.jpg

Made a cardboard template from the left side door to transfer to the right side.
DSCF0647.jpg

That's about it for now, will try and get the right side door next weekend and hopefully maybe get the bottoms of both doors in sheet metal.

Anyone interested in purchasing the window glass frames and inter works contact me at 336-787-3808.

switched up the codes to see the pictures

Thought I would do an update on my build.

The motors back in the frame and running but the head is going out for new valves and seats. Relapped the valves trying to save a little money but had a couple of exhaust valves that diidnt seat so off to the machine shop it goes.

While waiting on that I started doing some repairs on some rough places in the body. Got the cowl molded in and in primer and also the windshield frame is finished and primes.

Started welding up some unwantd holes also.

Thats about it for now. Hope you enjoy the pic's.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1094.jpg
    DSCF1094.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1091.jpg
    DSCF1091.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF1092.jpg
    DSCF1092.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0794.jpg
    DSCF0794.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 57
It seems since I started repairing the body on my build that no one wants to talk about things done. Maybe my build isnt concidered a rat any longer and more of a hotrod. So be it, to each his own. I just cant get away from my roots I guess you could say. I was a bodyman for years and repaired all kinds of car from crashes to rusted out junk.

Anyway this is what I got done this weekend. A little more blocking and 5 more coats of primer. The before pic is from the passengers side, thats how the the drivers side looked before I started.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF1102.jpg
    DSCF1102.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1103.jpg
    DSCF1103.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 44
There's nothing wrong with making it nice. And your project is getting nicer by the day. Keep up the great work.
I really like the overall look of your truck.

Thanks Bob, I'm glad someone understands that it can still be a rat rod or hot rod. I just prefer it to look nice. I just find it hard to put all this work into a build and not fix the body so it will last longer. Besides I want my grdkids to have something they will be proud to drive.

Again thanks.

Thanks Bob, I'm glad someone understands that it can still be a rat rod or hot rod. I just prefer it to look nice. I just find it hard to put all this work into a build and not fix the body so it will last longer. Besides I want my grdkids to have something they will be proud to drive.

Again thanks.

No shame. Your truck's looking great! I think with all the modifications you've done to the body not finishing it would just be wrong.

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back