'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunate turn of events Pops. But no blood spilled. When I was building my Plymouth truck I got rear fenders from way out in Washington state. Weren't very nice either.

Thanks guys. I knew when I built this truck that body parts were scarce. But I was't planning on needing any at the time.

Thanks for watching for parts for me.

Road trip !!!!!!!

My bride and I got in the pickup yesterday and 16 hours of rain, sleet, snow and 1100 miles we made it back home with a door. I was going to buy a fender he had but his idea of good shape was way different than mine. Paper thin and rusted thru over about 20% of the surface. But I'm happy with the door. Back to the plan to fix my rear fender.

Spent a little time working on the hinges and adjusting gaps today. It fits as good as ever. Now I just need to sand blast, prime and install everything in it.

Tomorrow I'm on to getting the rear end and rear fender off of it for some serious beating and banging and welding. fun and games!

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_E3781.jpg
    IMG_E3781.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_E3784.jpg
    IMG_E3784.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks guys.
I got the rear end out from under the '47 yesterday. Some really fine welding on this piece. Speedway ought to be really proud here. Don't know what I'm going to do here yet. I could retube this but I think I would have more time and money in it than I would just getting another bare housing($400). Plus one axle.

Only other damage I can see is it broke one of the adjusting eyes on the lower connection point. everything else looks good.

I swear this 3rd member weighs twice as much as it did when I put it in. It nearly ate my lunch lifting it out over my head.
Note to self....don't let the 3rd member fall inside a plastic bucket while draining, it's a pain to get it out.

I'm thinking on the fender that I can cut it as in the pics, beat on it a while, replace some sections then piece it back together . We'll see how it works out next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3796.jpg
    IMG_3796.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3798.jpg
    IMG_3798.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 23
My 2 cents on the fender from a old school body shop guy, POPS.
I wouldn't cut it.
I would try to work out the dents in the fender as a whole unit first.
I know that it will be harder to handle that way but if you could get a helper to hold it while you work it back into shape. It might be easier.
Lay it face down on a flat bench. Work out the area in the center.Then I would start where you have the vertical cut line marked and work my way towards the rear of the fender.
I tend to look for the simplest way first. Once you cut it....Well. It's cut.[ddd
JMHO...
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

I agree with Torchie. I'd try to work it in reverse of how it's bent in, center first, then start getting the creases out. With a little luck, it won't be stretched too much that it won't get back close. Then you might have to relief cut it in a spot or two to get the stretch out.

I agree with Mr.T. here... dont cut it. I would lay it on a bale of hay or something to avoid creating more flat areas when working the dent. Use a big mallet or maybe even a wooden block with a big radius to work the big dent out to the point where you have an overall convex shape again, the Flipper & dolly left over dents out. Wear earplugs... :D

That would be my approach also. I did a 37 Willys hood that looked similar on one side that way. Started by finding a soft spot to rest the hood, then walked in it a bit to get most of it back in shape, then got after it with the hammer and dolly. Just go slow.

I agree with Mr.T. here... dont cut it. I would lay it on a bale of hay or something to avoid creating more flat areas when working the dent. Use a big mallet or maybe even a wooden block with a big radius to work the big dent out to the point where you have an overall convex shape again, the Flipper & dolly left over dents out. Wear earplugs... :D

As dutch says. For sure on the ear plugs.:)
Being mostly deaf I tend to forget that. But panel beating in the body shops(Among other things) is what made my hearing what it is now.
Safety first....
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks for the guidance guys. I've beat a few small dents and creases out but never anything like this. One thing for sure I got nothing to loose and a lot to learn. I'll share my miseries this week.
I need to get rid of the big yellow critter so I've got some room to move.

Latest posts

Back