47 willys build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmc010

im new here and posted in the intro section so now its down to business. I was browsing around the other day and found some photos of a wicked jeep hot rod featured in jp magazine. I was hooked and in love. I got on craigslist and found a 47 cj3a willys in great shape. it was all original, body was complete with grill complete as well. Everything was straight and very little rust, original glass and windshield frame as well all for 300 delivered to my drive way. I feel like i got a great deal. I have since chopped the windshield frame down a good 5 inches and stitched it back together. It didnt go so well and i could not figure out why...until i started really looking at it. The frame was broken in two places and some one tried to fix it but didnt work out so well. so i am debating just making a new windshield frame all together, but will probably just rework the one i have....these last couple days (i get little time out there with a baby and a full time job) i narrowed the tail gate about an inch and a half and zapped it back flush with the body, it looks awesome. a pound or so of wire later its sitting welded in and ready to be ground down. All the paint on the grill is stripped and i have reworked the head light mounts to pull them back a bit. I did this because as they sit stock (and ill take photos to help the explanation) they are sticking out far to much. I wanted to pull them back into the grill frame, so when they are mounted, the contour of the rounded headlight would flow with the contour of the bezel. As they sat, the headlight stuck out a good 3/4" further than the bezel. Im sorry if you are still reading this and have not seen a photo, but they are still on my phone and i just have to transfer them over. Basic build plans for the project are
1. Super super cheap. I have set a budget of 700$ and would like to not come near that. I am in it so far for 300 and already have a complete sbc minus spark plugs and plug wires. Body complete minus tail lights. frame is from a yj (if you dont know what that is look it up, i am a hard core off roader so a rat rod is new to me)rear end is a tj d35 (see a pattern here) I am planning on building either a 3 link or a 4 link front end, using xj spindles and wheels and tires i find somewhere for free.
2. GoArmy. I want it to look early 40s military, if you do your math, yes, that is pre WWII. When America was geared up for the war, but everything looked shiny and new cause it has not blown any s**t up yet. I have done some research and have come up with a game plan to incorporate as many bomber and fighter pilot cockpit styles as i possibly can.
3. Safety. I will not skimp out on the safety factor of this. There will be seat belts (army green 3" cam lever lock if i can find a set in my 4 wheeling gear) sub-floor will be over kill and front axle will be overkill (im thinking .25 wall sleeved 2"dom with 3/8" plate here and there)
4. Basic. if the car does not need it, its not going to have it. I dont need all that vacuum and computer crap that all these rice burners get lol(my codger coming out) I am building this to be all mechanical, the entire care is going to work like a v8 would have worked when henry ford broke his wall out and test drove his first car near the turn of the century.
5. Time. This beast is going to be driving by spring. Yes i live in denver and that means a lot of cold cold cold ass nights (not days, i dont have those) in a single car garage with no insulation. Bring it on mother nature, im ready for you.
Ok enough with my yammering, probably way to much for a newb to write. Here is a photo of how i bought it a short two weeks ago. Ill have photos tomorrow of how it sits now.
newride-vi.jpg

Hey BMC

Wow..sounds like you really know what you are looking for....there have been a couple Rat Rod Jeeps...If you are looking for some insight John Cappa over at the Jeep Magazine website built a flat fender from spare junk parts he had laying around.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0910_jeep_rat_rod_sloppy_seconds_part_one/index.html

I am hoping the address above works. I dont think John spent much on it and it actually turned out pretty cool.

Keep us in the loop. I love old flatfenders and ratty old flatfenders are even better. The patina on your tub looks wonderful from here.

MikeC

"If is wasnt for the Jeep we would all be eating rice today"

gonna be cool!! I've always wanted to build one with a mucho narrowed rearend with tires tucked underneath with suicide type front end..

thanks for the comments already. This is one of those, i wonder if i can builds. The patina does look great but i am wanting it to be olive drab and going to use house paint to keep it on the cheap. believe it or not i can lay that house paint down and make it look pretty darn good. Plus it will only cost me about 25 bucks to do the whole paint job. I already have all the nice spray guns and prep tools from painting cars before so that helps.
I am planning on doing a 2 wheel drive, i just cant figure out how to get the ride height i want, which will be about 4 inches, and run a drive shaft and a transfer case. I am already super tight on space as it sits now. I am 6'2" and i will be sitting on the floor. I do plan on making this a right hand drive, well because it will just be awesome, so thats also taking some planning. I will keep updates going as i pretty much plan on working on this just about every night and weekends and hoping for fast progress. Stay tuned!

some updates:
Got the windshield frame chopped down. After really tearing into it this thing is bad. It was so broken i could not keep it very straight when putting it back together again. I am not sure if a hammer and dolly can fix it. but ill try, it beats trying to make a new one. I am going to remove the glass and chop that down as well, but later. I have also got the tailgate narrowed about an inch and a half and frenched into the body. Not sure why i did this but i think it looks cool, and the gate would not be functional when i do what i want with it any ways.
More to come shortly
chopafter-vi357.jpg

tailgatetac-vi.jpg
tailgatewelded_2-vi.jpg

Spent last night bracing the body and getting ready to remove the floor boards. I am not dealing with a lot of space so getting this thing low to the ground is going to really take some creative reworking. I want to hear your guys opinions here on this. I am planning on using 1x1 14 ga. wall square tube to frame out the subfloor and 18 ga sheet metal with beads rolled in it for the floors. any thoughts? i am planning on subflooring the whole thing front to back mostly for added security and that way i know i have new metal holding up the important stuff. The frame is 2.5x4" tall square tube from a jeep wrangler (free, again working on a budget here) that i plan on sucking up into the body of the willys and leave about a half inch hanging under it just so i dont mess my body up on those nasty curbs and speed bumps. Leaves little room in the cab for 6'2" me. So i am reworking the floors to allow me to sit a little further back in the cab. I am still working on designing the body mounts and not sure if i can attach them directly to the 14 ga square safely? any opinions? I snapped a couple before shots of the floors to show off where i dont fit at.
interiorbefore_1-vi.jpg

interiorbefore_2-vi.jpg

thanks for the comments already. This is one of those, i wonder if i can builds. The patina does look great but i am wanting it to be olive drab and going to use house paint to keep it on the cheap. believe it or not i can lay that house paint down and make it look pretty darn good. Plus it will only cost me about 25 bucks to do the whole paint job. I already have all the nice spray guns and prep tools from painting cars before so that helps.
I am planning on doing a 2 wheel drive, i just cant figure out how to get the ride height i want, which will be about 4 inches, and run a drive shaft and a transfer case. I am already super tight on space as it sits now. I am 6'2" and i will be sitting on the floor. I do plan on making this a right hand drive, well because it will just be awesome, so thats also taking some planning. I will keep updates going as i pretty much plan on working on this just about every night and weekends and hoping for fast progress. Stay tuned!

If I was going to paint something on the cheap, I'd look at something like the tractor enamels or something similiar..almost as cheap as your house paint, but will last alot longer..even spray bomb rustoleum would be better than latex house paint..

If I was going to paint something on the cheap, I'd look at something like the tractor enamels or something similiar..almost as cheap as your house paint, but will last alot longer..even spray bomb rustoleum would be better than latex house paint..
i would be totally up for doing a rustoleum job if i could find the color i am going after. I have not tried all the hardware stores but the couple i have looked at does not carry a flat green. I am certainly up for trying tractor paint as well. I just want to find something in an olive drab. Any suggestions? im all ears

Hey BMC

That post above I agree totally. Go get a quart of rustoleum and a quart of paint thinner and give it a coat of army green. I race on an oval track and thats all I have ever used to paint with. Also on another note......I have a 1965 CJ5 plow truck and I used 1x2 steel tube to support the floor boards. I didnt have nearly the nice floor you have tho...like I had Fred Flintstone floor boards..(nothing but air)...
I love these old flat fenders...I wont tell anybody you are building this little truck (over on the www.thecj2apage). I think if you can do it on the cheap it'll be cool...typically flatfenders are crazy expensive to redo. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

MikeC

You can go to most automotive paint stores and get any paint mixed and put in an aerosol can.
I am looking for the cheapest paint job i can possibly find. If i can find it premixed off the shelf thats what i want. I dont even want to spend more than 20 bucks on the paint if i can avoid it. If i can find it in the rattle can i can empty it into my paint sprayer and do it the right way. I am just being super budget minded. lol if i found the paint on the side of the highway i would use that instead!

Hey BMC

That post above I agree totally. Go get a quart of rustoleum and a quart of paint thinner and give it a coat of army green. I race on an oval track and thats all I have ever used to paint with. Also on another note......I have a 1965 CJ5 plow truck and I used 1x2 steel tube to support the floor boards. I didnt have nearly the nice floor you have tho...like I had Fred Flintstone floor boards..(nothing but air)...
I love these old flat fenders...I wont tell anybody you are building this little truck (over on the www.thecj2apage). I think if you can do it on the cheap it'll be cool...typically flatfenders are crazy expensive to redo. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

MikeC
Thanks for the 1x2 advice. I was thinking maybe making the main supports that size and the secondary supports 1x1. I was thinking 14 ga wall is what was going to help me, but i can go 1/8 if you guys think it necessary. As far as the floors they look good until you see them from underneath, they are in bad shape. I am going to completely remove them and re-skin the entire floor. That will allow me to also move things around so my frame can be sucked into the body to allow it to sit lower, and give me more leg room for when i drive the thing from time to time ha ha

it was posted online for sale as a cj2a but when i started tearing into it the vin plate (or maybe just a serial number plate)was stamped cj3a with all the other factory serial numbers or patent numbers. I have not done any research on it yet. I can post it maybe some one can help me figure out just what i have?

small update. I have spent the weekend working on some other things, so progress is not quite where i want it. But i have managed to get the rear all braced up and half the floor cut out. whew what a pain in the a$$ was that. I still have not quite figured out how i am going to do my subfloor so i can fit in there comfortably. I am sorry for the one bad photo it was on my cell phone but i will be taking more photos soon. I dug the rear end out, which took a few hours to get to, and mocked it into place. The wms-wms is only a couple inches wider than the body. I am looking into 1.5" wheel spacers, if i can find 2" id rather run that. Even then i am going to have to find a wheel that has tons of offset so the inside of the wheel wont contact the body. Not sure if that is going to happen so i may be looking for a new axle. The one that i have btw is a dana 35 out of a 07 tj wrangler. Im trying to keep as many jeep parts in this thing as possible. Besides thats what i have laying around mostly. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
I was at wal mart the other day and they have the color in ultra flat in rattle cans i wanted to do so i am going that route.
More to come shortly

Attachments

• 20111106_121926.jpg
    20111106_121926.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 45
small update. I have spent the weekend working on some other things, so progress is not quite where i want it. But i have managed to get the rear all braced up and half the floor cut out. whew what a pain in the a$$ was that. I still have not quite figured out how i am going to do my subfloor so i can fit in there comfortably. I am sorry for the one bad photo it was on my cell phone but i will be taking more photos soon. I dug the rear end out, which took a few hours to get to, and mocked it into place. The wms-wms is only a couple inches wider than the body. I am looking into 1.5" wheel spacers, if i can find 2" id rather run that. Even then i am going to have to find a wheel that has tons of offset so the inside of the wheel wont contact the body. Not sure if that is going to happen so i may be looking for a new axle. The one that i have btw is a dana 35 out of a 07 tj wrangler. Im trying to keep as many jeep parts in this thing as possible. Besides thats what i have laying around mostly. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
I was at wal mart the other day and they have the color in ultra flat in rattle cans i wanted to do so i am going that route.
More to come shortly

For your wheels check out http://www.petepaulsen.com/Catalogofwheels/MAIN_WHEELS.htm

You can custom order your backspacing in 1/4" increments!!

gonna be cool!! I've always wanted to build one with a mucho narrowed rearend with tires tucked underneath with suicide type front end..
Ive got an electric golf cart I can rob the rear end and tires from, errr wait...ummmm...where do all the batteries go? may i should call the pu...i mean...cats at prius?
Or i have this approach.....I love things that are skinny as much as the next guy, but every once in a while, only a fatty will do the trick.
lol ok im done guys. I promise to bring more photos this thing is going to be skrawsome...new word...scary and awesome, with an emphasis on the design and build of rat rods. give it time. use it. It will catch on. ha ha ill even do a dictionary looking thing before i go (ss-Kraw_sum) say it fast.

Latest posts

Back