47 willys build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya i already have my eyes on a set of wheels there. Thats down the road for now i am sticking to dirt cheap or, preferred, free, at least for now while i mockup everything and see how its going to fit

so i have read back on a couple things and saw a couple photos, who let me use the computer after a few drinks? yikes. Ok seriously, sorry about the bad photos, i am a great photographer in real life, semi pro bla bla bla. I just get focused on my build and dont like to stop and take photos every two minutes. i will try and get better about that. I have one photo today. I dragged the frame out of a pile of junk in my back yard (well boating stuff that has been winterized)
any who the frame is from an 89 yj. Another freebee so i thought i would try and use it. I have had this thing for a couple years now and got it because it was a free frame and pretty darn strong. Today my neighbor and myself ground off all the tabs and mounts to get it to sit where i want it. using hand grinders for this sucks. We got the frame under the body and holy huge bat man, its a good 2-3 feet longer than i anticipated. Oh well, bring out the grinders again. I hope to get out and get the frame and body cut up so they meet where they will eventually sit tomorrow. But the football game takes priority, go broncos lol. I then will get out my big nice camera and take some decent photos of what i have going on. For now, uh....enjoy the one crappy camera phone photo ha ha

Attachments

• frame_before.jpg
    frame_before.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
Too many words, not enough pictures - I'm lazy. Is that frame tapered?

Cut off wheels are all I use, no torch yet. Guess I don't know how bad I have it...

As for paint - not painting it is cheapest.
As for the floors, truck bed is very stiff on its own and needs very little to no support since it's corrugated. Would probably look right at home in yours.

Gonna keep checking this build, I'm expecting something skrawsome. ;)

so i am doing some updating on this forgotten thread. It doesnt show pictures any more so i dont know where i left off. But over the past few months i have managed to get the floors out completely. Lay new frame work for a new floor and fit the body over the frame. I have 2 piece urethane motor mounts set up in 6 places. The engine and trans are in place now. The frame is designed to hang 1/4 inch below the body to help keep it from scraping. The rear of the frame has been removed and replaced with 1/4 wall 2x3. The windshield has been chopped and put back together. I picked up an awesome set of 31x9x16 tires mounted and balanced on split rims for $40 off good ol cl. I ditched the rear dana 35 in exchange for a 1 ton 14 bolt ff i had laying around converted to disc brakes it fits and clears the body.
frame%20mockup_2.jpg

frame%20mockup_1.jpg

14 bolt was a tight fit but it will work under there. I looked all over the place for a cheap cheap one in good shape but all i could find were duallies and non ff axles so decided to use one i had started to build for a rock buggy i put on hold...even cheaper for me. I have the suspension, after several months and attempts, figured out designed and partially built...but those photos will have to wait.
axle%20under_1.jpg

axle%20under_5.jpg

this is the latest photo i have taken, but things have changed since then even. The tires are 31x9 on a 16" split wheel and frankly look cool as hell. This was a deal i still cant believe i found. They fit perfect, are the size i was looking for, have that narrow mud profile and came mounted and balanced on 16" rims with an 8x6.5 pattern. Best part about it was they only cost 40 bucks for all 4 gotta love cl! I dont think i mentioned it but i am going with a wwII military theme with this thing...more of an airplane type thing. The color of the wheels is right on....a little clean up and they will work well for me.
stance_2.jpg

Lets get some opinions. i am working with the cut off remains of a dana 44 8 lug axle. I dont know if i should try and square out what i have or ditch the knuckles and try to remake my own. I can get to a laser cutter and can weld up my own axle based on basic geometry...but am trying to keep this budget based. Donsrods...have any opinions??
fronthubs1.jpg

fronthubs2.jpg

hi i am new here i am getting ready to buy a 47 cj2a for 500 whoa!!! do you have any more updates i would love to see. I am not real sure how to do the suspension what front axle should i use i want it sitting low maybe even airbags thanks for any advice

Latest posts

Back