48 F-2 rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratty46pickup

I thought I`d finally start a build thread. I dont get a whole lot of time to build due to customer work, but I`ll post pics and progress reports as often as I get a chance. I`ts a 48 F-2 on an S-10 frame, channeled 6 inches, chopped 4. I`ve got a 70 model 500 caddy and 400 turbo with a 10 bolt camaro rear. Front sheet metal will be a mix of 47-54 chevy/GMC and 48-52 Ford.

Attachments

• 48 ford 001.jpg
    48 ford 001.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 48 ford 006.jpg
    48 ford 006.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 48 ford 007.jpg
    48 ford 007.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 74
Well, I started on the 500 Caddy today. I stripped off alot of parts to allow for room for cleaning. I heard this engine run about two years ago before it was pulled. The car was showing about 70,000 miles and I think it`s correct. The engine was really clean inside and when I saw it run it had no blowby or smoke. Next chance I get I`ll pull the pan and check the bearings and timing chain. I`ll also use the engine for a mock up because I think I`llhave to notch the front crossmember for oil filter clearance. As soon as I get to this point, I`ll get some more pics and try to get some motor mount ideas. Any input on this project will be appreciated.:D

hey man are ya going fendrless ,i got some leftover 48 sheet metal,, a cab front clip and rear fenders , i take 275.00 for it all ,, need funds tio continue mine,, if ya aint to far away.. its all f1 stuff on the sheet metal,

Thanks man I appreciate the offer, but I`ve got a rough 52 F-1 hood and a bunch of A-D chevy stuff. I`m going to build ccstom fenders and hood and run an A-D bed with 50`s IH fenders. Pics coming soon!

Well, I took time to do some more on the 48 today. Thought while I was at it I would take a few more pics. I also learned something useful that I should have already figured out. For clearance, an oil filter for a late model chevy truck fit the big caddy perfectly, and gave me alot more room. All this mock-up is to mainly get the final positioning for cab mounts and motor mounts. I`d really like to get the cab and motor mounts made in the next few days so I can take the stuff back off the frame as soon as I`ve finished welding up the chop and bracing the cab up some. Then I can start getting the frame ready for paint. Heres the mock-up that I have so far.I know it`ll be awhile, but I really want to see this thing with fenders!:D

Attachments

• 48 ford 016.jpg
    48 ford 016.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 48 ford 017.jpg
    48 ford 017.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 48 ford 018.jpg
    48 ford 018.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 48 ford 019.jpg
    48 ford 019.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 44
I really need to get off this project for awhile, but I`m hooked on this! I did some more mock-up today. Started playing with some front sheet metal, and man is this thing gonna be wild!!:eek:

Attachments

• 48 ford 021.jpg
    48 ford 021.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 48 ford 020.jpg
    48 ford 020.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 48 ford 024.jpg
    48 ford 024.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 76
I guess some of you are wondering, "why the h*** a ford cab and GM front end???". I`ve got a bunch of parts, and I like the flat windshield and the lines of the Ford cab with the Chevy/GMC front. Hey, after all, ain`t it `spose to be different???:D:D

Got a pic here that I meant to show earlier. I had to notch the crossmember for the oil filter assembly. After the engine is removed after mock-up, I`ll have to grind the cut area and box it back in for strength. That 550 lb/ft of torque might try to twist things a bit!:eek:

Attachments

• 48 ford 023.jpg
    48 ford 023.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 36
Not had time to do much more to the 48. I`ve been having to do some "real" work.:D I`ts also been really cold here!!! Anyway, I got my new motor mounts in today. They`re gonna work great. Just drill a hole in the frame for each one and I`ts done! I also traded for some 51/52 fenders, header panel, and grill to go with the F-1 hood I already had. This is all in the plnning/mock-up stage. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome!!!:D:D:D

Attachments

• SN850619.JPG
    SN850619.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 22
That Ford cab with A-D front sheetmetal should cause some head scratching when people are looking at your truck unless I'm misunderstanding and you traded for Ford front sheetmetal.

That Ford cab with A-D front sheetmetal should cause some head scratching when people are looking at your truck unless I'm misunderstanding and you traded for Ford front sheetmetal.

You`re absolutely right, Gastrick. I had planned to use A-D front sheetmetal, but I traded for Ford stuff because I didn`t want to cut up the A-D stuff and the Ford stuff was cheap and close to home. I think this truck will probably cause some head scratching anyway! I still have to bring the fenders, header panel, and grill home, but this thing`s gonna be pretty low for a full-fendered truck!:D:D

Attachments

• 48 ford 029.jpg
    48 ford 029.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 57
Got a little time over the weekend to work on the 48 a little. I started glassing the roof seams in, but first, I had to do quite a bit of hammer work where the roof had been beat up. Next, I need to finish the other door top, and cut and install the drip rail pieces, then it`ll be on to the "mud work"!:D:D

Attachments

• 48 ford 035.jpg
    48 ford 035.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 48 ford 037.jpg
    48 ford 037.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 48 ford 036.jpg
    48 ford 036.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 42
So basically your building a custom and not an actual rat rod? Mud, and glass work??Sounds like your gonna put a nice coat of paint or primer on it too? I like it the way it is but that's just my opinion.

Thunder1

i was thinkin the same thing welding and lead work would have been what i was expecting to see lol but hey not my ride its his and if he wants to bondo and glass let em have it lol

So basically your building a custom and not an actual rat rod? Mud, and glass work??Sounds like your gonna put a nice coat of paint or primer on it too? I like it the way it is but that's just my opinion.

Thunder1

It`ll definately not be a high end custom, but the roof on this thing had been really beat on! Looked like it had been stomped in and kicked back out, or maybe even rolled over at some time. The plan for now is just to slick the roof up some and spot it in a little with some flat green and maybe a little brown primer. When all the mechanical stuff is done, as well as all of the metal work, which could take a while, it might possibly get a coat of primer sometime in the distant future. Or maybe not!!:D

Finally an update,....sort of.

I know I`ve been gone a long time, but I`ve been through a nasty divorce and move. I also had to build the second new shop in two years, really sucks, but I`m finally getting re-grouped. As soon as I catch up a little more, I hope to make some good progress on the 48. I even lost my new computer in this mess and just now got back on line, but now I can keep everyone updated more often.:D

Latest posts

Back