48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 18 pound block of aluminum and milled it into a 3 pound block. There's a recess on the inside to accommodate the foam tape and a lip to make sure any moisture runs off rather than in.

Painted it black to match the engine and sanded off to paint on the op of the fins.

Nice job! I was wondering about the tins and how they looked but the cover really makes it look factory.

The relay box is what results when vision, talent and equipment all reside under one roof. Beautiful work.[cl

The relay box is what results when vision, talent and equipment all reside under one roof. Beautiful work.[cl

Thanks Bob, add a little insanity for making everything twice as hard as it needs to be.

Since I was goofing with the wiring, I decided to make sure the headlights are going to work out OK. The last photo is a bit blurry but shows how things go together. The round pipe on the light bar has spherical radius that matches the bottom of the headlamp. There's plenty of room for the wires.

I got to this point and realized I haven't made any provision for turn signal / parking lamps. I'm thinking about bright led bulbs mounted in the reflector. Ideas?

Attachments

• DSC03131.jpg
    DSC03131.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC03128.jpg
    DSC03128.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC03130.jpg
    DSC03130.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 52
Here you go; Maybe you can modify the base bracket enough to fit this in the front of the base. They only require a 3/4" hole and show up really good. I run them on two of my Jeeps.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LED1010

Be sure to use a pre 2001 flasher. After 2001, by Fed mandate, they have a circuit to sense a burned out bulb.

LEDs don't draw enough current, so the flasher goes into a rapid cycle to alert you that a bulb isn't working.

Grille insert

Took a right turn the last couple days and decided to make the grille insert.

Got some 1/4 x 3/4 SS and some 1/5 x .035 wall SS tube.

Drew a template on the platen and bent up the frame using bending forks. The green lines show where it needed to be bent a little more.

I made some tabs to match the original tabs on the grille. Button head screws will hold the insert.

Welding the upper tubes was difficult because of the of the piece that surrounds the back of the radiator. Can't get a proper angle with the torch, can't see, no depth perception and the .035 wan't to burn through. But, I did manage to get them all tacked. I used some machinist parallels for spacers.

Here's what it looks like on the truck.

Attachments

• 1 pattern tools.jpg
    1 pattern tools.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2 forks bending.jpg
    2 forks bending.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 3 mark where it leaves the line.jpg
    3 mark where it leaves the line.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 41
  • 4 frame.jpg
    4 frame.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 5 bars and spacers.jpg
    5 bars and spacers.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 51
  • 6 light.jpg
    6 light.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 7 view.jpg
    7 view.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 8 finished.jpg
    8 finished.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 61
I used some machinist parallels for spacers.

Lol! That is a good way to start a fight. A welder using machinist tools for spacers! Oh course it sounds like the stuff is yours anyways. Grille looks just right on the size of the rig. [P

Update

The 700R4 is still waiting its upgrade. No seats -gotta call him.

Have a show to do and need to make some blacksmithy things - not sure what.

Have an open forge next Saturday at my shop - been cleaning today.

So, here's where the firetruck is....

Attachments

• DSC03229.jpg
    DSC03229.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 48
The 700R4 is still waiting its upgrade. No seats -gotta call him.

Have a show to do and need to make some blacksmithy things - not sure what.

Have an open forge next Saturday at my shop - been cleaning today.

So, here's where the firetruck is....

I know the feeling. :)

NEWS

Remember the Gothic Bike Build?
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23760&highlight=Gothic+Bike+build

Joe has decided he needs a new project and I'm burned out, so we loaded it up today and he's on his way back to Holbrook. I made him promise to keep posting the results. Hopefully, we'll still be able to follow along.

This is really the first time I have gotten a look at the grille in the outdoors.

Attachments

• DSC03248.jpg
    DSC03248.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC03251.jpg
    DSC03251.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03249.jpg
    DSC03249.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03253.jpg
    DSC03253.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 63
So did you guys swap or is he just working on it for you? If you swapped then I guess the old joke of how many RRR members will it take to finish this rig....[P

We swapped, he gave me money and I gave him the project. Actually, he gave me a year and saved me about $5000 -maybe $8000.

I figure 3 RRR members should do it. Joe is actually more compulsive than I am and he works faster, too.

Plus, he has a transmission shop right next door and a muffler shop (to bend the 3" tail pipe) in the same building. I'll bet he gets both those done by early next week.

Bummer... Who's going to help me finish sorting out my hydrobooster problems... Haha

We are pulling for you Joe. Can't think of anyone better to finish it, but I still retain rights to the first ride....Those weren't Dan's to sell.[ddd

So, Truckster, I figure we'll need to make a trip to Holbrook about the first of June to collect the first and second rides! Waddya think Joe?

Latest posts

Back