48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does and it sounds sweet!
402471-1.gif

Congratulations!!![cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

That sounds really good. Sorry I wasn't there to witness it. Who would have thought that pile of parts and pieces you bought two years ago could look and sound like that?

Yep, Jess is the reason the phaeton runs :D Hey that link is not working.

I saw Jess at school last night and he talked me through it, including insisting that the most common problem is getting the distributor set on the wrong stroke. Even though I know it couldn't be, I checked it anyway and that was the problem.

Next up is getting the power steering pump on and the system lull of fluid.

I have to say, it sounds much, much better in person than on the video. That exhaust system is really amazing!

I am out of superlatives to describe your work....carry on!

Thanks everyone.

Fired it up today when Truckster was here. First time I had it running with the tailpipes on. I'm pleased with the sound. Deep note, mellow tone. Of course, that's a good thing about a big block - they sound good.

Remote master cylinder reservoir

I decided to keep the interior simple and found some '98 Mustang seats. In checking out the fit I found that the master cylinder reservoir, which sticks up 4 " above the floor pan, will be right in the middle of the seat frame / track. (Oh yeah, that's why I was going to build a bench seat.)

So here's the remote master cylinder "kit." I found some 2 x 4, 1/4" wall aluminum (6061) box tube. I had a Willwood master left from another project that had a screw on cap and seal. I made a couple bungs to fit the cap, cut the box tube 11" long, milled a slot in the middle so I can weld in a plate to create 2 cavities. I also copied the original reservoir attachments to make adapters to accept 1/4 npt fittings. The short piece of box on the right was a test weld - doesn't look too goo, but it holds water.

It will mount under the bed lid, next to the gas tank and in the only place I could find that would allow access to fill it. (Sorry about the blurry pic.)

Attachments

• 1 master cylinder.jpg
    1 master cylinder.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2 parts.jpg
    2 parts.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 3 end of tube.jpg
    3 end of tube.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58
  • 4 location.jpg
    4 location.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 57
That`s about as much of a "kit" as everything else on this truck :rolleyes:

Good thinking on that. I can`t wait for the burnout video.....

Master cylinder nightmare

I was welding up the 1/4" thick aluminum master cylinder reservoir Saturday before Christmas when my water cooled TIG torch developed a leak. Of course by the time I noticed it, the power cable was also toast.

No welding suppliers were open on the 24th. First thing on the 26th I got a new torch. 2 Hours later I was back at the Welding supply with a burned up power cable which they replaced without charge. Upon their recommendation I checked the coolant - the pump was dead on the TIG cooler.

It seems no one carries this particular Teel gear pump, the replacement pump is $250, made in India and not in stock in town. I decided that having a back-up cooler wouldn't be a bad idea and would give me some time to rebuild the pump or re-engineer for a less expensive pump. Ordered a cooler from Amazon - it's hung up in shipping until next Friday.

I was having quite a bit of difficulty welding the 1/4" aluminum, so I enlisted the help of a friend who makes a living welding heavy aluminum. He cleaned up my cold welds and finished welding the mounting tabs. I learned a bunch about welding aluminum.

Here's the finished reservoir. A problem is, it leaks in places it didn't leak before we did the last welds. Every time we put heat on it a different weld lets go. Another problem is that it's ugly, so....

Here's my new reservoir out of .060 stainless - waiting for the TIG cooler.

New problem is the 3 1/2" tail pipes that fit when i built them, don't clear now. I'm going to remake them better out 3".

This is why I'm almost 2 years into this project - an unplanned master cylinder reservoir 3 weeks already and it's not done..

Attachments

• 1 ALum tank.jpg
    1 ALum tank.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2 stainless tank.jpg
    2 stainless tank.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41
  • 3 exhaust.jpg
    3 exhaust.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 46
Well worth the wait. I think you are doing fine. (sorry I didn't get a chance to check up on your project when I was down that way. I called, but missed you, next time for sure)

Well worth the wait. I think you are doing fine. (sorry I didn't get a chance to check up on your project when I was down that way. I called, but missed you, next time for sure)

Gee, sorry I missed you. I would really love to have you stop by and give me some more direction and motivation.

I got the new TIG cooler working yesterday and started welding up the stainless tank. I'll post some pics when it's done - if it doesn't leak.

The rebuilt carb continued to leak. I checked the float sight window. The fuel level was good, so obviously the needle and seat were ok. Missing a check ball? or ... And if it leaks on the outside is it also leaking on the inside and flushing fuel down the new engine? I could imagine all kinds of things.

So I bought a new Holley 1850a. Buying the carbs one at a time will hurt less or maybe I'll abandon the tunnel ram.

If you abandon the tunnel ram, what are you planning to use for filling up all that space? Something in mind for an air cleaner housing?

Latest posts

Back