48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am sarcastic some times but seriously, the floor is coming out great. And many people do forget that it is a safety item as well as a structural member. Keep it up![P

I got the firewall made and welded in today. I already had the template made. I used 12 ga, cut it with a plasma and dialed it in with a flap wheel. I'm ready for a test fit on the frame tomorrow.

Welding the inside of the tunnel was a disaster - overhead and blind -it'll be torture to grind it smooth.

Attachments

• DSC02098.jpg
    DSC02098.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02101.jpg
    DSC02101.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 69
Looks like you made some new panels for the fender wells and got them welded in. Going to have to get over there and see how you plan on making all of that come together.

The firewall and tunnel is just amazing.

Looks like you made some new panels for the fender wells and got them welded in. Going to have to get over there and see how you plan on making all of that come together.

The firewall and tunnel is just amazing.

Yeah, I used 10 ga on the fender wells, the kicked up floor panels and the inner panels in front of the door jams. My next project will be to fill in the fender wells and make them intersect with the filrewall - that will be 18 ga. There will still be room for the exhaust to go under the floor, but outside the frame.

I'm really hoping I got all the dimensions correct on the tranny tunnel and that the body actually fits on the frame. If not, it might be a big block, dually go-cart.

Here's today's progress - just got one side this far.

I used the finger brake to make small bends in the side panel, then wheeled it to give it a little shape from the front to the back. Sounds simple - right?

I bent a piece of 3/8 round to put a radius in the corner.

Attachments

• DSC02102.jpg
    DSC02102.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC02103.jpg
    DSC02103.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02104.jpg
    DSC02104.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02107.jpg
    DSC02107.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 96
How in the world did I miss this one?

Great job! I wish I had thought of using a big pipe and angle iron when I was making my trans tunnel. This will be a killer ride!

How in the world did I miss this one?

Great job! I wish I had thought of using a big pipe and angle iron when I was making my trans tunnel. This will be a killer ride!

Thanks,

I was looking at Corpo's and your's trying to figure out how to get enough room for box or round tube to support the sheet metal tunnel. I didn't want to give up even an inch. I had the piece of pipe and a lot of 1/4" plate so...

somehow, in the pictures, the lower cowl panels and firewall give a litttle bit of cabover flavor. Can't get my mind around a sectioned coe roadster. going to have to see it firsthand to tell what it really looks like, but from here it is all good.

somehow, in the pictures, the lower cowl panels and firewall give a litttle bit of cabover flavor. Can't get my mind around a sectioned coe roadster. going to have to see it firsthand to tell what it really looks like, but from here it is all good.

I think the COE flavor will go away when it's on the frame. I think filling in the fendwells will really confuse everyone who wasn't already confused by the diminuative proportions. We probably need to make up a name so I don't have to go through a long explanation every time someone asks what it is. Something like, "it's a '48 Model K".

Here's the cab on the frame. Nothing touches the transmission although one of the cross braces is close and will require trimming - no big deal. I'm happy.

I have people trying to give me money to do real work for them, so I'm done on the Firetruck for a while. I'm dissapointed that I didn't get the firewall completed with the holes welded and everything ground, but at least the cab is on the frame and not taking up most of the available working speace in the shop.

Attachments

• DSC02110.jpg
    DSC02110.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02112.jpg
    DSC02112.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC02114.jpg
    DSC02114.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 149
I really like the way the headers turned out. The stance is also great. Is the 2nd picture at ride height?

Keep up the good work!

those headers are sexy! I like it when peole put fore thought into asthetics as well as function. [P

thanks guys.

The second picture is ride height, I hope. The wheelbase is 130" so it might look lower than it is. I think the center (dropped) section of the frame is 5 -6 " off the ground.

Update

I had a little time today between jobs, so I welded up the rest of the holes in the firewall, welded up the cowl vent and the louvers on the passenger side of the cowl. I did a bunch of grinding - but not enough - there's still more to do. I'll get some photos tomorrow.

Thanks, Rainman

There were about 25 holes in the part of the firewall that I didn't replace.

The passenger side has louvers that allow air into the heater. They were pretty deformed and I decided I didn't want air and water coming into the cab through them. So I cut them out and welded them up.

The passenger side vent door is in good shape, has new springs, hinges and a new gasket. I decided to keep it. I used my stud gun to pull out the lower corner where it had sucked in because of the weld.

I used 10 or 12 ga hot roll for the firewall (because I had it). I spent about an hour trying to get the mill scale off. I used 4 7" Sanding discs which lasted about 30 seconds. Tried a Scotchbrite disc - nothing. DA with 36 grit Zirconium disc -didn't cut the scale. I'm now using an EZ strip wheel on a 4 1/2" grinders which works but is very slow. It would have been cheaper to buy some cold rolled for the firewall - NEXT TIme.

Attachments

• DSC02115.jpg
    DSC02115.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC02116.jpg
    DSC02116.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back