50 fochevalac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got them mounted today. U think they are just what the truck needs.
20140611_155805_resized_zpsd312729e.jpg
[/URL]

Beautiful.
Before I decided to go full custom on mine I was going to run a pair of these on the back only with whitewalls.:D
Torchie.

Worked on the throttle tonight. I am using the pedal out of an S-10 blazer.I am using the cable and pieces of the brackets .I cut them all up and used some thin plate and welled it all back together. I have it all together just not finished . I will post some pictures tomorrow. If i have time . One of the mechanics from work and I are rebuilding the 4l80-e transmission in my daily driver.

My son and I went to a small car show today. I think there was like 70 some cars. There were some real nice ones their. There were 4 rat rods there. I knew three of the guys.The one I did not know was the owner of a chop top and ratted out VW bug . I asked him if he built it . He said (no but I payed for it to be built).Looking at the cars and truck made me want to get mine done even more. So I came home and did the rest of work needed to finish the throttle .I made the brass connecter that hooh the cable to the carb.. Then today I seen one something like it on a car at the show. All I have to do to it is paint the bracket black. The other day I put to tires and bed on the truck. How much clearance should I have between the box sides and the back of the tires?
20140614_120735_zpsf09dc8a7.jpg
[/URL]
20140614_120723_zps7f6ec7b8.jpg
[/URL]
20140614_213108_zps4b03f781.jpg
[/URL]
20140614_213027_zps5e538cfd.jpg
[/URL]
20140614_213012_zps6eb76898.jpg
[/URL]
20140614_213037_zpsa8dc3460.jpg
[/URL

Looking better all the time IB. Where was the show?
To me the clearence between the tire and the box looks better the closer you can get it. Just so it doesn't rub.:eek:
I have seen some builds where there is like 6-8 inch's or more and I just think that looks dorky.....
Just my 2 cents.
Torchie.

The show was in Cheboygan. We will be up to St.Ignase At the end of the month.
The tire are pretty close to the box now. I would say about 1/2 inch or so.

Nice work. I gave my tires 2" of clearance with the suspension centered and haven't had any rubbing. I don't know what your running for suspension but with air bags and a panhard bar, I had to allow for side to side movement when the bags were inflated and deflated.

I had to give my bed a mini tub job to do it.
Hammer on!

Well the only thing I managed to get done on the truck today was to put 3 coats of paint on the throttle bracket. But I did score an engine for the next rat rod build. It is a chevy 427 . It is in a Sidewinder jet boat. This will keep with my theme of using a motor from a boat to power a rat rod.

Didn't work on the truck tonight . I did go and get the 427. I took the plugs out and checked the cylinders. Then took the exhaust off to see if any mice had made a nest in the head. They were all clean. I then sprayed some light oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand about a half dozen times. I tried to turn it over with the starter but it wouldn't do anything .
20140617_212124_zps8ba11292.jpg
[/URL]
20140617_212110_zpsa94daeb5.jpg
[/URL]
OH by the way anyone want to buy a jet boat (without engine.

Looks like I was told wrong .I ran the casting # off of the back of the block . It says it is a 454.It came out of a car/truck 1973 to 1985

Started the 454 up today. I did a compression check and they all had around 180 pounds of compression. So I thought I would see how she ran. I replaced the three plugs I broke .Then cleaned the points. It has a dual point distributer .I had removed the fuel line from the carb when I did the compression test. So no old gas would get into the carb .I cut the gas line that was going to the fuel pump and stuffed it into a jug of new gas. Then put the line from the pump into another jug to get rid of the old gas out of the fuel lines. After it was cleaned out I hooked it up to the carb .I pored a shot into the carb and it fired right up . I had the wife make a short video and post it on you tube, I do not know how the post the page on here but if you type in (next rat rod motor ) it will pop up .

Good for you IB.[cl
Does that boat have an hour meter on it?
With that kind of compression I would bet that it has low run hours.
Torchie.

Know hour meter .I was told it came out of a vet. But then again I was told it was a 427 too.
Did get some work done out in the garage tonight. None on the truck but did get to work with my son .We built a new waterer for his 4-H pigs .I showed him how to use all of the tools needed to do it. He used the drill press,4 inch grinder,hammer,pipe wrench, and the welder.
20140623_205917_zpse7d3efdf.jpg
[/URL]

20140623_205243_zps21c1ac81.jpg
[/URL]

20140623_210009_zps81263182.jpg
[/URL]

Not the prettiest weld but it will hold. I couldn't see what he was doing .My other helmet quit working the other day . so he would weld a little and I would tell him what I thought he needed to change.

Good for you IB...

Great to see your son out in the garage learning to use the tools. I have spent time with both my daughters in the shop. Always time well spent and great memories made.:)
Nice to see that he has the proper safety equipment as well. I started my sleeve on fire the other day.:eek:[S
p.s. He is already welding better than me.:eek:
Torchie.

Worked on the truck a little last night and tonight. Got the box mounted I am doing it so the 4 sides of the box can be taken apart still. It bolts to the frame so all of the braces can be removed. The tabs that set on the cross pieces are just tacked. Now I need to build a battery box and put the floor in the bed.
20140627_233149_zpsfe8d161d.jpg
[/URL]
20140627_232406_zpsed9fafef.jpg
[/URL]
20140627_232350_zps0c312962.jpg
[/URL]
20140627_232415_zpse98044ed.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts

Back