50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The second set of 02 sensors monitor the cats.are you going to use the stock computer?The good thing about the engine you are using is the aftermarket suppliers.what type rear suspension are you using.

On the removing the second set of O2s, I'll probably just leave them there, no real reason to ditch them, besides, if I decide later on the cats are a restriction, I'll just get some aftermarket ones... And because the ECM is calibrated by Roush, I'm not sure how much has been changed or if I could even run a power programmer.. I imagine they have it locked out, but I have a feeling I'll be down there at some point getting a re-calibration as well.

Also, usually the 2nd set of O2s are after the Cats, not IN them, thats what I was getting at...

And honestly, I don't mind running the cats, I don't mind having it run cleaner, and I think it will have plenty of power and such for what I need for now...

Mini progress: got the harness all laid out in the basement, and found the ignition wires that were cut, going to solder those up, and also got a lot of the wiring diagrams from chilton's online which is free through mel.org for Michigan residents... not complete diagrams, but I think good enough for me to remove the circuits I won't be using...

sure wish I had your kind of time to work on things......

Whats stopping you? I work from 6am-2:30 or as late as 4:30, but I still make time to work on things most nights... But then again some weeks I don't touch it...

Just have to make it a priority, after all the real priorities are done...
That and put down the remote and go in the garage =)

More progress tonight, complete HVAC pulled out, wiper system out, front doors dismantled, still have to sort out how to get the one intact window out, and keep it intact so it can be sold, and I can use the internals...

Also sorted out, there were E250s without an inertia switch.. so thats a relief.
Tomorrow, hoping to pull that window, and get the fuel pump module off, and then pull the body off the frame. If not tomorrow, thursday after work.

I can only speak for myself.....

it absolutely frustrates the bajeebees out of me to get into the barn and only have a limited amount of time to do something....I know every hour counts but you can barely get started on something and it's time to quit....I want a day or at least 4 or 5 hours to work.....anything less seems futile....I don't know if anyone else thinks this way but DR you don't seem to mind that....I envy your ability to do that....it just frustrates the crap out of me....:(

it absolutely frustrates the bajeebees out of me to get into the barn and only have a limited amount of time to do something....I know every hour counts but you can barely get started on something and it's time to quit....I want a day or at least 4 or 5 hours to work.....anything less seems futile....I don't know if anyone else thinks this way but DR you don't seem to mind that....I envy your ability to do that....it just frustrates the crap out of me....:(

A lot of times when I have limited time I just try to focus on one small area, or a bit of research I need to do on this or that...

just pick something small to work on if you only have a small amount of time, even if its just planning something out, draw something up or write it down, its something accomplished!

I'll give that a try.....

A lot of times when I have limited time I just try to focus on one small area, or a bit of research I need to do on this or that...

just pick something small to work on if you only have a small amount of time, even if its just planning something out, draw something up or write it down, its something accomplished!

My problem is normally I don't have small items to do.....and if I do, there is a bigger job that needs to be done first before I can do the little one..LOL..but I will give it a try anyway.....nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Just work on it a little every day. Like Dr said, even if it is planning or research. Don't leave it to long or you lose interest, and don't let it become all consuming. enjoy the process.

gold03

just think if you go down and just do 40 min or an hour on something pretty soon it is done. If you say "It is only an hour I will do something else until I get the time" you will never get it done. you have to ask yourself "Self, do I attempt to throw the entire pile of stones at one time and fail or do I toss 2 stones every day and succeed?" [cl

You know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I love that saying. I just bought a new BBQ, so eating is on my mind.[dr

Another important point I have learned as I got older is to walk away when you get frustrated and or ****ed off! Don't work on it if you are angry. It totally ruins your outlook on a project. Walk away.

gold03

On that note, tonight should be the last wrenching night on the van portion until thursday when I hope to pull the body off the frame... With any luck I'll get the engine & trans home maybe friday or saturday... have to see how I'm going to do that portion...

Wow..... that is a philosopy that I haven't yet heard..

just think if you go down and just do 40 min or an hour on something pretty soon it is done. If you say "It is only an hour I will do something else until I get the time" you will never get it done. you have to ask yourself "Self, do I attempt to throw the entire pile of stones at one time and fail or do I toss 2 stones every day and succeed?" [cl

BUT.....It is a good one......guess every step you take is a step closer to the end of the road......(had to throw that in)....but you guys are right.....quit making excuses and get back to work!!! OK....point made point taken.....

update

Finished stripping out a couple things from the van tonight, thursday night its on to pull the body.

Also bought a 57 pontiac rear bumper in rat rod shape, I need bumper caps though that the exhaust goes through if ANYONE has some leads on some I would be extremely grateful!

Also bought an international truck grille shell, I think 37/38 ?
Pic here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170867286789?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648&item=170867286789&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1204

And the bumper, going to remove the center section:

Attachments

• P5220627.jpg
    P5220627.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 41
Nice find! Can't help on the bumper caps.

gold03

Thanks! and shipping was only 70, not $181 heh heh....
Probably do some tinkering today, but nothing major, maybe look at the harness a bit.

I'm pretty stoked to have pretty much everything electrical I need now, as well as door locks and mechanisms, power window units, power lock mechanisms, etc... windshield wiper motor & arms...Steering column & all the U-joints. What a great thing a donor vehicle is... way cheaper than sourcing all the different systems... Also, I've recovered more than the price of the donor van now, just need to recover the transport fees [cl[cl

I'm sure most don't think the power stuff should be on a rat, but to each their own, and I'm diggin this road less traveled theme... as a matter of fact, if I can fit it, it'll have AC too [ddd

Progress tonight, got the body off the frame, driveshaft is out. Hoping to make some lift hooks for pulling the motor tomorrow, maybe pull the motor tomorrow or saturday...

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

I say if you got it, use it.

Thanks GJMike :)

Anyhow, I'm not one to complain about the heat, but I just couldn't do it today, 110 heat index, and no shade working on concrete... I decided it was a better idea to not get the motor pulled tonight. Going to try to get up real early and get out to my office and get the motor and trans out, and home...

I did however get some metal brackets made up to help pull the motor, since they provide no lift rings, and with plastic valve covers, and intake manifold... its just not that easy to find spots where the chains wont pinch the plastic parts...

:cool:

As planned, motor is home

I have a great girlfriend, she didn't look at me funny or say "hell no" when I asked her to help me at 6:00AM to go get the motor, yep, shes a keeper! [cl[cl

I do know I'll be welding some supports on the lift straps I made so they don't bend when I pick up the motor again...

And I know, I didn't take the time to straighten out the chains after the initial lift out, I had to only use 2 lift points so I had enough lift to get the motor in the truck, damn F250s sit up so high...

On to the pics... (soon, website is not letting me upload right now)

Latest posts

Back