50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those look like GM medium duty exhaust brakes for C5500 trucks with diesels. They run on air. I changed a ton of them at the dealer for seizing up (read rust belt up here) Could run them the other way as cut outs...[cl

Those are sweet!! I would run CO2 if I was you. Get a small can and a couple cheap valves, you would be able to open and close them a million times before you would need to fill the tank.

@ Skull, isn't that always the goal? Gotta have some loud fun! I think 2.5 on each side I think that was what was stock on the van 2.5 dual to 3 or 3.5, but I'm thinking of true duals now, we will see...

@JFG, that is good to know, cause I need some gaskets for them!

@Neverdone, yea, I'm thinking that I'm going to lose the air cylinders, only because they work backwards to what I would want, either that or switch them around to be normally closed and use air to open them, I'm thinking mechanical instead of extra complication... this truck has enough complication for me at this point, I just need it to work so I can dump exhaust out the side somewhere...

Last edited:
Bending stainless lines, not too bad so far

I think the best thing I could have done was bought the rigid bender I bought for 1/4" line... I may buy a 3/16" on as well for when I do the brake lines... For the money I couldn't beat it, I think I paid like $55. I decided to use some copper to practice on as that is REALLY cheap compared to stainless lines...

Anyhow, I made the line from the fuel rail to the distribution block, and the two stub lines to the tank from the distribution block, as well as one of the lines from front to back along the frame is almost done too, at least the first piece..

Oh, and I pulled the cab off the frame yesterday to make my life easier on these lines... probably still have to clear the firewall for the one line, as I cannot get the bend any tighter than I made it, and it will still be too close to the firewall, so an indented area will be in order.

On to the pics:

Attachments

• DSC05082.jpg
    DSC05082.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05083.jpg
    DSC05083.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05084.jpg
    DSC05084.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05085.jpg
    DSC05085.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05086.jpg
    DSC05086.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 49
That line follows the frame perfectly. And the frame looks outstanding too. Lots more satisfaction in making the hard lines yourself. Way to go!

Thanks guys, its coming along, I got the remainder of the hard lines done, except for the ones that attach to the multivalve at the tank... thats next. I also need to find some better clamps than what I tried to use...

I also re-did the tank mounts because they were not quite lining up and I couldn't get the crush sleeves installed, so I cut off all the tack welds on one mount and all but one on the one side so I could bolt the one loose mount to the tank, and then drop it all in and tweak the other side, and then tack it all while the tank was bolted in, so hopefully now the tank install will go smoothly when I put it back in...

Anyhow, enough talk, on to the pictures

Attachments

• DSC05087.jpg
    DSC05087.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC05088.jpg
    DSC05088.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC05089.jpg
    DSC05089.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC05090.jpg
    DSC05090.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC05091.jpg
    DSC05091.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 68
@ Mike, hell I wish I was done!

Soon Grasshopper......... very soon!!!

My new goal is to be rolling down the street July 27th to Panty Raid..... Think maybe you will be ready for a drive by then??

Took my first steps yesterday to quest towards a title. Hopefully next week I will be standing at the SOS applying..... Wish me luck.

I wish I would have been flying this week, I took a whole week off again because I was sick as a dog... uggg.. summer sinus cold... Anyhow, today we leave for the central lake car show, no freeways, just a 55 chevy and the road for a father - son trip.

Is there more than 1 central lake or are you headed up north ? Will you be there in time for the cruise night tonight .
icebox

Icebox.
How could there possibly more than 1 Central Lake.......

So all you guys are coming to my neck of the woods and no one invited me?
Going to try to get to Central Lake tomorrow for the show.
Just look for the one legged guy walking around wearing shorts and Raybans. That will be me.:D
Torchie

Latest posts

Back