50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crappy roller? Like the rest of us with an HF model? Reinforce like I did, it rolls 1/16th no problem!!! LOL [cl

I probably won't be posting much after today for a few days, we are heading up to Higgins lake for some time away, just me and the little one...

Have a good time! Enjoy the break! Can't wait for the wife and I's trip to Mackinaw!

That's a nice looking start, Love those F-1s !
What's those funny looking holes in the valve covers on that engine :confused:;) Nice engine choice [cl[cl Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

[P[P

If I am correct that is either a Super Red Ram Hemi or a Desoto motor. Both Chryslers I think. And I believe they are for the spark plugs [S

Hello Dirtyrat. You're trampling on all the 'unique tappet cover' fanatics out here, you know, when you dismiss a Hemi so easily.cv[ddd I assumed I was normal, and that everyone liked tappet covers like me. BackAlleyKustomz likes them, too, so that makes at least two of us. Yes, BAK those holes have sparkplugs down in there.
Dirtyrat, I like the way the grille goes with the truck. :cool:
Keep on tinkering. [;)

Hello Dirtyrat. You're trampling on all the 'unique tappet cover' fanatics out here, you know, when you dismiss a Hemi so easily.cv[ddd I assumed I was normal, and that everyone liked tappet covers like me. BackAlleyKustomz likes them, too, so that makes at least two of us. Yes, BAK those holes have sparkplugs down in there.
Dirtyrat, I like the way the grille goes with the truck. :cool:
Keep on tinkering. [;)

Problem is here, everyone and their brother has a hemi in this or that... and although I do like the Hemi, it is very common here in rats and traditional rods... I get tired of seeing the same stuff over and over... same thing with a 350 chevy... I've never had one in any vehicle and I probably will never have one...

Oh, and thanks on the grille! I hope to get that cut down just a bit to make it a little shorter...

Problem is here, everyone and their brother has a hemi in this or that... and although I do like the Hemi, it is very common here in rats and traditional rods... I get tired of seeing the same stuff over and over... same thing with a 350 chevy...

Probably the main reason I left the straight six in my dodge that was in it when I got it. Dare to be different..... Granted my motor is still fairly common but I don't see too many of them used in a rat, so spruce it up a bit and keep it.

possibly boring update =P

I decided to draw up the new sending unit arm for the larger tank tonight, and since I had the new rod, I bent it up and installed it on the sending unit. (tempered drawn rod)

At full it should be at the 80% fill (max) and ant empty on the gauge I should have a 6 gallon or so reserve(3" of fuel), depending on how well the pump can pull fuel from the tank... so I'm thinking probably at least a few usable gallons... [S

On to a couple pics:

Attachments

• DSC05144.jpg
    DSC05144.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05145.jpg
    DSC05145.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11
Well, it mostly worked, I forgot I was not going to be in the center of the tank with the bracket, so I had to add a couple bends to get the floats over to the center of the tank..

Got that bolted up with lock nuts to the bracket inside the tank... put the 80% liquid fill sensor in... WHAT A PAIN.. hooked up all the wiring, and closed up the tank.

If I never have to touch the internals of this tank again it will be too soon... like building a ship in a bottle, only you cant see through the bottle... ugh!
Too disgusted with the tank to take any pictures heh heh

Pulled the motor out tonight, pulled the valve covers and cleaned out any slight debris I found from the broken valve cover, pulled the pan and cleaned that out as well... everything looks really clean and new as it should for a 38K mile motor...

I did find that the early 5.4L valve covers use a different gasket... so I need to go grab a set of gaskets for that tomorrow so I can put those on and be done with that part...

Also kicked off the order on the flex lines for the fuel, so I'll have those in a couple weeks, should give me enough time to get the finish welding done on the crossmembers, and maybe start on some wiring...

Picked up the valve cover gaskets, and a new oil filter for the future fire up...
So got the valve covers on it, and welded in the engine crossmember, and trans crossmember, and started cleaning up those pieces for paint...

Might work on the wheel wells tomorrow, and maybe some wiring depending on what I feel like... I did lay some stainless steel colored paint on the rear quarter panel, and I'm thinking I like the color...

Maybe I'll snap some pics tomorrow..

Ended up picking up the little one for the weekend on a last minute vacation schedule change, so not much to report on the rat, however I did get a chance to clean up and get some etching primer on the engine crossmember, and the trans crossmember, and started cleaning up the quarter panels some, for some rust converter and primer... still a lot of metal work to do, but getting done what I can, in the time I have...

What are you using for rust converter? I used to use Navel Jelly, but I can't find it any more.

I'm just using stuff that comes in a spray paint can, turns the rust black, then you can prime over it I guess... I think its rustoleum brand...
Or I use rusty metal primer by the same company, after sanding it with a wheel... jsut enough to get a 1/2 way decent finish for the rat, nothing show quality...

I'm not sure yet on a fire date, waiting on my lines, once I have those I'll know better.. I'll probably start working on the wiring to at least get it sorted out enough to do a test fire without a radiator I cant run it long however...

I do want to make it to that show, I'll have to check my calendar and see, definitely without the truck however I believe...

Just a small update really, got a lot of the finish welding done on the front part of the frame (engine, trans, and suspension mounts) the other night, but ran out of wire, got some more now though.
Also got a lot of the frame cleaned up in the engine area and laid down some etching primer. I cut down the spherical bushings just slightly at the ends so they fit in the brackets without having to drive them in and out to make adjustments...

Thats about it for now... this week, I am hoping to get much more accomplished...

Latest posts

Back