50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steering box mockup & more

Got a chance to get the steering box mount cleaned up and tack welded to the frame.
I also got the ignition cylinder out so now I can turn the column as well.
Steering wheel has been painted somewhat, no pics yet.
Picked up some 10mm 10.9 rated bolts for the steering box mount bolts.

I'm still thinking this drag link is going to be odd looking with an offset and probably an arced section to clear the tire at full left lock... I know it will be strong enough, just going to be a little out of the ordinary I guess, something to keep in mind on my next build...

Pics for the restless natives:

Attachments

• DSC05361.jpg
    DSC05361.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05362.jpg
    DSC05362.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05363.jpg
    DSC05363.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 52
That is going to take quite some time huh... I am ready to start a project with my son and I think ford would be the brand... you seem to have quite some experience, what do you think for starters? Will I find the pieces easily? price is not the problem but I want to make sure I have a big selection to pick from, what do you think?

Got a chance to get the steering box mount cleaned up and tack welded to the frame.
I also got the ignition cylinder out so now I can turn the column as well.
Steering wheel has been painted somewhat, no pics yet.
Picked up some 10mm 10.9 rated bolts for the steering box mount bolts.

I'm still thinking this drag link is going to be odd looking with an offset and probably an arced section to clear the tire at full left lock... I know it will be strong enough, just going to be a little out of the ordinary I guess, something to keep in mind on my next build...

Pics for the restless natives:

Those 10.9 rated bolts should be plenty strong for the steering box mounting. I have 15 mm 10.9s that hold the motor mount to the side of the block on my 4bt.

As far as the drag link goes it may look different but as long as its strong enough and functional i'd run with it.

Looking good,

-Chris

Just think off all the fun you will have at car shows explaining to the "Leaners" that "no your drag link isn't bent and damaged". :D:D

Looks great as always DR. I'm hoping for a thaw so I can check out those doors for you.
Torchie.

Just think off all the fun you will have at car shows explaining to the "Leaners" that "no your drag link isn't bent and damaged". :D:D

Looks great as always DR. I'm hoping for a thaw so I can check out those doors for you.
Torchie.

Heh, yea I'm sure it will get some looks if it looks like I think its going to look...

Thanks for the kind words, and yea I'd be interested, I think for now, after the steering is done, I'm going to start rebuilding the bottom of the doors as that is one of my next list items: getting the cab ready, doors and at least front and rear glass to start with... But I'd like to hear pricing on the doors.

Heh, yea I'm sure it will get some looks if it looks like I think its going to look...

Thanks for the kind words, and yea I'd be interested, I think for now, after the steering is done, I'm going to start rebuilding the bottom of the doors as that is one of my next list items: getting the cab ready, doors and at least front and rear glass to start with... But I'd like to hear pricing on the doors.

Unfortunatly I don't think that it will happen anytime too soon. 36 degrees here today.[cl[cl[cl[cl
4 1/2 - 5 feet of snow still on the ground and covering those doors.:mad::mad::mad:
Torchie.

Unfortunatly I don't think that it will happen anytime too soon. 36 degrees here today.[cl[cl[cl[cl
4 1/2 - 5 feet of snow still on the ground and covering those doors.:mad::mad::mad:
Torchie.

Yea, we have a lot too here.. hoping for it to all melt away soon, would really like to get a fence company in to install our new fence in march! No worries on the doors, like I said I'll probably repair these as best I can to use for this rotten rat!

Not sure if you already nixxed the idea of a couple front wheel spacers to clear the straight draglink?

Well, even with a spacer I think I'd be in the same boat unless it was a couple inches...
Thanks for the idea however!

More mock up *yawn*

Well I did get the new ignition switch in, and the column back together for mockup.
Steering wheel is on and pretty comfortable when sitting in the truck.

I tried a 1" offset with the mockup steering shaft, I think I'll be closer to 1.5-2" but it depends on how easy I can bend a solid steering shaft when I get a new one, I'm planning on using the extra Toyota steerign shaft to lengthen the new one as well with sleeves for strength as well...

I'm probably going to have to heat the steering shaft to bend it to do the offset and possibly something to clear the tire a little. I'm almost to full lock, about 10 degrees on the pitman arm or so.

Also checked on my original steering stops, and I believe they are so long that they would hit the caliper brackets way before I get to full lock which is not what I want...

Anyhow, couple pics to go with all the words...

Attachments

• DSC05364.jpg
    DSC05364.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC05365.jpg
    DSC05365.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 35
Just an observation, Dirtyrat, I have the same steering setup as you on my old Kenworth. The guys who inspected my truck really didn't like that 'tire-rubbed' shiny spot on my draglink, so I had to figure out how to stop that happening. It seems that my tires and wheel stoppers were adjusted right but I still got the wear marks. I figured out that when I was backing up in soft ground the dirt would bend the wheel in a little more, and rub my draglink.
If you want to distract would-be judges from seeing the shiny spot, rub a handful of mud over it or paint it just before the showing. I have over thirty four thousand hours on that truck and I don't believe the tire touching the draglink is a safety issue, but a nice curve in a strong draglink would look good.
Keep on tinkering.

DR How about just putting the pivot on the back side of the pitman arm? A straight bar is always stronger than one with a bend in it. [P

DR How about just putting the pivot on the back side of the pitman arm? A straight bar is always stronger than one with a bend in it. [P

Well, that was suggested in the Q/A section, but the one on it is welded in from both sides, I would have to buy another pivot ball assy, and re-weld it in the other way, which would put it much further out the back side which might do the trick if I put an offset in the drag link the opposite way.

Realistically, no matter where I put the drag link it has to have extra tire clearance added at the full lock position.... :(

Just an observation, Dirtyrat, I have the same steering setup as you on my old Kenworth. The guys who inspected my truck really didn't like that 'tire-rubbed' shiny spot on my draglink, so I had to figure out how to stop that happening. It seems that my tires and wheel stoppers were adjusted right but I still got the wear marks. I figured out that when I was backing up in soft ground the dirt would bend the wheel in a little more, and rub my draglink.
If you want to distract would-be judges from seeing the shiny spot, rub a handful of mud over it or paint it just before the showing. I have over thirty four thousand hours on that truck and I don't believe the tire touching the draglink is a safety issue, but a nice curve in a strong draglink would look good.
Keep on tinkering.

I agree with you Mac, only issue is that I do not get enough steering angle at the point of contact with the drag link, so that is why I'm looking at adding an offset and/or clearance for the tire at a full left position :)

Realistically, no matter where I put the drag link it has to have extra tire clearance added at the full lock position.... :(

Don't feel bad buddy. I am in the same boat. I have a little tire contact at full turn. Need to do something about it, but haven't got to it yet. Hoping for some shop time tomorrow. Ratchet041 is bringing his chopper over to weld the frame and I think I might try and get a little time on the rat.

Don't feel bad buddy. I am in the same boat. I have a little tire contact at full turn. Need to do something about it, but haven't got to it yet. Hoping for some shop time tomorrow. Ratchet041 is bringing his chopper over to weld the frame and I think I might try and get a little time on the rat.

Awesome! hope you get some RAT time you need it!
I worked on the steering column mounts last night, finalizing the rear mount and front mounts, and such, and talked a lot about what I want to do with the steering shaft, and the next steps to getting the cab and doors ready with my father who comes over every once in a while to get some work in on the truck.

tonight, I'm hoping to mock up the steering shaft some more and order a replacement one to modify as well.

Hey DR. Thanks for the link. Looks good.

Thanks!
Worked a bit on the dash tonight strengthening it up with some small square tubing, and filling in some of the gaps in the dash... I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

Tomorrow the drag link should be here, still need to do final mock up before I bend the replacement drag link and lengthen it...

Had to order some 1/2 shafts for the daily driver today, got a used set with 30k miles on them for $75 shipped, should cure the low speed wobble so I can concentrate on the truck again...

Latest posts

Back