51 dodge Rat Rod Build BSA Venturing Crew

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell Trent He fogot his safty glasses on the bench,,,, You guys are doing a grate job on this chop. Keep it comein,,,,.

Tell Trent He fogot his safty glasses on the bench,,,, You guys are doing a grate job on this chop. Keep it comein,,,,.

Good point, I thought about that when I was doing the post. He doesn't want to end up like me, I lost sight in my left eye chopping a 49 merc in my early twenty's.

I ran a shop of 10 guys,,, When I would walk by one of them grinding or running a power tool without safty glasses I would poke them in the eye :eek:,,, Didn't take long and they all got the picture

Thursday nights progress

This post will look like more of the same,but it's not this is the drivers side.

Cutting relief cuts to contour the cab corners.

2009075.jpg

This should do the trick!

2009078-1.jpg

Contoured and tacked in place.

ratrodstuff001.jpg

Getting good penetration, so when we grind the welds the top wont blow off....

ratrodstuff002-1.jpg

Update pics, Sorry for the wait I had a computer crash.

The pink wedge shows how far up the top needs to go to match the front portion.

Ratbike022.jpg

A shot from the back, you see the problem.... NO worries.
Ratbike024.jpg

The first step is to trace the good side of the top.
Ratbike027.jpg

Cut it out, and make a wooden buck from a pressure treated 4x4
Ratbike028.jpg

Update Pics continued

This is the section cut out of the cab corners for the chop, it's more than wide enough but as you can see by comparing it to the buck template, the contour is off.
The buck will fix that.
Ratbike029.jpg

Starting to look like something that will fill the hole, need a little more persuasion....
Ratbike033.jpg

Yea that's what persuasions all about, glad my pop used a belt on me and not a dead weight hammer... By the way thank's for the persuasion Pop's..
Ratbike035.jpg

WaLa relief cuts made and filler clecoed in place, love those clecos.
ratrodstuff005.jpg

Well, I'm learning something - Thanks! I'll be keeping track of this one as well. Great pics and step through.

More update pics

Just another angle with filler in place, time to start filling the gap from the relief cuts.
ratrodstuff004.jpg

Tacking in the first filler strip.
ratrodstuff006.jpg

Needed one more relief cut to get the right contour back.
ratrodstuff007.jpg

Their ya go all tacked up and looking good I told ya, No worries....
ratrodstuff008-1.jpg

The next step will be to fab a filler piece for the door jamb, then we can trim to fit the top filler pieces, and weld them in place.

Dodge truck

A while back I bought someones project. 52 dodge cab on 66 dodge moterhome chasie. Kept motor trans and radieator . Not too bad of a buy for 350. But brother in law was in a hurry for me to get it off his propertie so I cut it up for scrap . Stupid huh. Well I recently came across a complete 49 5 window. Another cheep buy , at 350. It's funny how things work out. I never took trailer to scrap and what few pieces were missing from 49 I had on the trailer from 52 . Cool huh.

dodge truck, allright

how many inches did you take out?

looks good,

kinda partial to those dodge trucks.

what suspension. motor, tranny and rearend are you using?

Later :cool:

Latest posts

Back