'52 Chevy Truck Rat Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm back on the 52 project after not working on it for a few months. I got the frame plates cut and welded in. I also applied some POR15. I need to clearance the bump on the trailing arm cross member to clear the cab floor. I also need to do some fab work on the rear of the frame where the 87 Buick Grand National fuel tank will rest. Next I will finish with POR15 and top coat, run fuel lines and start on the brake lines. Should get the engine wired and fired up over the next month or two.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Looks familiar!

Your Doing a great job on your truck! The boxing of the frame and front susp look real familiar ! [;) Makes for a real strong frame when done. The rack going threw the bottom of the frame was an unexpected thing pain for me! This is the 49 I did for a customer!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 74
Your Doing a great job on your truck! The boxing of the frame and front susp look real familiar ! [;) Makes for a real strong frame when done. The rack going threw the bottom of the frame was an unexpected thing pain for me! This is the 49 I did for a customer!

That is the coil over shock I will be running on the front. I got ahead of myself and ordered my Heidts IFS complete with shocks and springs. Problem is, I now have a lower control arm for a conventional spring/shock set up. I will mod the lower arm or order two new arms that allow for the coil over.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I finished boxing in the frame this weekend and finished with POR15 and a top coat of black epoxy paint. It turned out better that I thought it would. I hope to have the fuel tank mounted this weekend and start plumbing the fuel lines. The frame is flipped, upside down in these photos. I also attached a photo of the under side of the cab.

100_0200.jpg

100_0201.jpg

100_0202.jpg

100_0203.jpg

100_0204.jpg

100_0205.jpg

Last edited:
A few updates. I finished the frame, ran the fuel lines, installed the fuel tank and the in-tank fuel pump. I got the engine and trans mounted back in the frame, installed the front suspension, sandblasted the radiator cradle and installed the radiator. I'm in the process of fabricating the electric fan mounts and should have it finished this weekend.

Rad.jpg

photo2.jpg

lq4.jpg

Looks great, keep going!
I know watching all the builds on here really keeps me moving forward on mine, even though progress is slow, everytime I look back at where I started til now, a lot has been done!

The headers came back from Nitro Plate today and they did an awesome job coating the headers. They look as good on the inside as they do out. After installing my headers this afternoon, I noticed the number 3 plug wire boot resting on the header tube. Several of the plug wire boots are very close to the headers. I called MSD and they said I needed their part 32829. They allow for a 45 degree bend at the plug boot. I had not planned on purchasing plug wires but I guess I will.

Anyhow, I'm slowly making progress. I got the electric fan mounts fabed and mounted. I hope to start laying out the exhaust this weekend.

NitroPlateHeaderCoating.jpg

Header5.jpg

Header3.jpg

Rad-1.jpg

Mr. Gusset, is that an old navy truck? some of those trucks looked like theyn were put together by grade schoolers. esp. things like mounting the wheels and some body work. hope that one was a good one.

I got the lq4 fired up this weekend and it sounds good! It has took three years getting to this point but it was worth it. I'm very pleased with the PSI stand alone harness and the tune that Steve Williams (Tuned by Frost) did on my ECU. I will upload a short sound clip in a few days. Now it is time to finish the cab, steering, wiring, etc. so I can drive it around. Getting the engine started is a big motivator to finish this project and move on to the 37 GMC.

Latest posts

Back