52 chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

My pop just picked up a 52 chevy 4 door delivered for $750, Does anyone know if we can do a s-10 swap with it and if its very difficult?

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 17
You can use an S-10 front clip to subframe it.

I'm not a big fan of frame swaps... I've seen many really cobbled up... it's real easy to do until you actually try to do it.

Why not just work with what you've got? Disc brakes are an easy swap if that's what you want...

Yeah I think keeping it on the original frame would make things much easier. The only way I would consider a frame swap is if the frame was total rusted out junk.

Well from the sounds of it nobody likes it. I thought it would be the easiest and most logical way to go. My Dad just wants to get it running the way it is and cruise it around, I was the one thinking of how nice it would be to have disk brakes, power steering, power brakes, better drive train, but its not my car, I better just help him get it running so he can drive it or I would probably get in over my head.

The frames are excellent on those cars. They dont steer and stop that bad if everything is working properly. If you want with all those new luxurys, then buy a newer car.[S

my pop just picked up a 52 chevy 4 door delivered for $750, does anyone know if we can do a s-10 swap with it and if its very difficult?

use camaro hubs u can order the rite bearing and adaters from some old rod stores seen it done on old chevys then use power brake boster off a smale car or pickup like a toyata there smale fit nice

At most, a front clip swap would be the way to go. A frame swap probably means fabbing a whole new floor front to back. And re-doing the frame to match wheel base. Then the track width will still probably be way off.

The frames are excellent on those cars. They dont steer and stop that bad if everything is working properly. If you want with all those new luxurys, then buy a newer car.[S

My exact thoughts, why ruin the charm of an old car trying to make it drive like a new one.
I have even driven Model A's that would stop on a dime if the mechanical brakes are put together right.

If you want with all those new luxurys, then buy a newer car.[S

I always thought improving braking and steering was more of a safety issue than a luxury item. Charm only goes so far. Especially in mountain driving. Or extremely wet driving. Or city driving. Disc brakes can make the difference between "Damn! That was close" and watching the tow truck haul off your pride and joy. Or waiting for an ambulance to haul you or one of your family members to the hospital.

Power steering can really make the difference between a car that's fun to drive and something that spends most of it's time siting in the driveway because it's such a pain to drive.

Any improvements you make to your car to make it handle better, stop quicker or safer to drive is not a luxury item. It's common sense.

My '56 Chevy doesn't have power steering but i completely rebuilt the front end and with a 15'' steering wheel it steers okay for me. But i might decide to add power steering later. Same with the brakes. I rebuilt the entire brake system (dual master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake lines, brake hoses, hardware, new drums, shoes) but it will get disc sometime in the future.

Sorry for the hijack but when it comes to hauling me or my grand kids around i want the safest car i can build. And if that means disc brakes and power steering then that's what it'll be.

Last edited:
I like old cars to drive like old cars... you just have to adjust your driving style to the car... I've never had a problem with drum brakes being inadequate.

My Peterbilt has 'em and I gross 80,000 lbs. everyday I'm on the road.... 99% of the class 8 trucks on the road still have drum brakes.

The steering on those old Chevys is pretty good... not hard to steer at all. While the whole deal may not be 'today's tech' it still works good. Stay outta the 80 mph commuter traffic and it will be just fine.

I like your Dad's idea of getting the car drivable and having some fun with it right now... driving the car is much more fun than working on 'em.

One of my favorite cars was a 59 Belair. The nonpower steering was just fine due to the large steering wheel, keep the front end greased good all the time. The stock, non power brakes worked very good and I never felt stopping was any safety issue. I would say that seat belts are a must in any car and wouldn't hesitate to install them. Other than that, where do you stop? Are you going to put airbags in your vintage car? Re-engineer it to have better crumple zones? Disc brakes are fine, I have them on my 29 RPU but more because they are easier and cheaper to install than drums when you are building from scratch. I don't think it would be hard to upgrade to discs. If you plan to drive in the metro, they would be better for sure. Everyone has their own personal preferences but the car doesn't have to be a canyon bender to enjoy it and drive it daily. Sure it might not handle the wet, metro or canyon roads as well but you learn to adjust your driving style to what you are driving, same as if you were towing a trailer or driving a 4x4 instead of a sports car. Common sense has to prevail no matter what you are driving.
Once you get the car on the road, you may come to love the feel of it. Sure some adjustment to driving style will probably be needed but just learn to slow down a little and enjoy the ride.

At most, a front clip swap would be the way to go. A frame swap probably means fabbing a whole new floor front to back. And re-doing the frame to match wheel base. Then the track width will still probably be way off.

I agree. S-10's have a very narrow track (54 inches). Combine that with a nasty rear frame kick up and you would be better off with a rear end swap and a M-II kit up front or a clip. Another option would be to use a Jaguar front clip. A Jag front clip has the right track width plus you get dual piston calipers. From what I've seen on the internet it seems like a pretty straight forward swap. Jaguar's also have rack and pinion steering as well which would be a definite bonus in the handling department.

I agree. S-10's have a very narrow track (54 inches). Combine that with a nasty rear frame kick up and you would be better off with a rear end swap and a M-II kit up front or a clip. Another option would be to use a Jaguar front clip. A Jag front clip has the right track width plus you get dual piston calipers. From what I've seen on the internet it seems like a pretty straight forward swap. Jaguar's also have rack and pinion steering as well which would be a definite bonus in the handling department.

The narrow track can be a good thing... no fender to tire clearance problems. You can make the track wider with the right wheels.

The Jag swap is pretty easy... a lot of guys do it on 50's Ford pick-ups. I'd sooner do that... easier and faster, too. As long as the frame width is OK the Jag swap is good.

Rebuild the front suspension and brakes and it will drive and stop great. My '52 Deluxe is a joy to drive. If I was to change anything, a power rack and pinion would be first on the list. A Celebrity or Grand Am unit would be the easiest one to use.
The steering is fine for me, I drive mostly in the country. A small person might tire rapidly in city traffic, though.
As I've said many times, the same front end you have under your '52 was used on Corvettes until '62, it can't be all that bad!
BTW, a set of '53-'54 uprights will lower the front end a little over an inch. Not much, but if you're rebuilding the front end anyway, a pair of junkyard uprights are an easy swap. The '52's tend to sit a tad high on the front with stock stuff.

I have a 52 4 door it drives great, runs good it drives look a 52 should need to do some floor work...but I'll get to it one day! I like to drive it it has 3in blocks it the rear its low in the back........low and slooooooow!good luck with yours

A small person might tire rapidly in city traffic, though.

Hahaha! That made my day![cl

I would just do a rack conversion for the steering and then do a disc brake conversion on the stock front end. If all the bushings are good then it will drive nice.

I have a 54 basically the same there are dropped uprights avalable and new coil springs to lower the car if thats what you have in mind.And there are lots of disc brake options out there you can make the car drive and stop very good. It will never drive like a new car but thats the point of a old car. just my thoughts There are also a bolt in front end out there to update if thats what you want.

Latest posts

Back