53 chevy truck / nova front clip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregster

Has anyone used a '75 or newer nova sub frame on one of the '53 style chevy trucks ? I plan to buid the rear rails myself to join to it . I was looking for a way to do disc brakes , power steering and independent suspension cheaply . this will be a full fender truck so i'm looking for the comfort factor. As close as I can tell there is only 1/2" difference in the width . Any thoughts or help would be great .

nova clip on 53 truck

yes i have. the best way i've found is to use entire sub and trim pickup frame to just lay on top of it behind drop. weld it up and gusset it and your ready

Sorry no pictures but if you were to roll the front sub frame under the existing frame you will have about 24" of frame rail on the donor stub that is a flat landing. What I have done in the past is trimmed the vehicle frame rail off the bottom side the height of the stub frame rail. Say 2 1/2" rolled the stub under the vehicle, squared with the rearend and tacked in place. Measured about 100 times to make sure it was straight with the rear and welded complete, then gussetted everywhere possible.
I did this for a guy on a 54 chevy belair, from the time I started to the time I finished with the metal work it was about 4 1/2 - 5 hours of work. I can't say that is how stovebolt is reffering to his being done but I have done it before and it can be easier than a frame swap or a front end kit. We all know that the thrill of our rides is the time we get to work on them, so to me if I can save some money and spend way longer than I actually could to do something myself I do it. I like to talk to people and when they ask "Where did you buy that part?" I can smile and say I made it!!!!

Hope this helped you out!! If not just PM me and I will dig up anything I can to better visually help you out....

the nova and camaro clips are awsome easy to install and they nearly fit anything,the good thing is steering brakes and suspension already done and it will handle awsome,they are only held on with a few bolts in the beginnig so even a half decent weld is better than new!![ddev[ddev

They say use the older ones but I subframed a '78 nova under a '53 chevy pu went pretty smooth. The trucks frame has to be widened,the core support area around the gearbox was a hassle.Ill see if I can dig up some pics its been a few years,but the frames still out behind the shop.LOL

Thought I took better pics of when I did it but guess not, so I went out and took some rusty ones.LOL If you need a shot of something holler.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 26
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 24
  • frame5.jpg
    frame5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
  • frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 28
Still have the brace on the front horns, never cleaned up around the gear box.

Attachments

• frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 25
  • frame4.jpg
    frame4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back