53 chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celica454

Hi all. My name is Arnie. I live in Southern Manitoba, 60 miles North of the American border. I'm building a 53 and heard about this site from my brother. He's building a rat rod. I'm not sure which way to go yet. I build dirt stock cars/trucks and race myself. Was mud bog champion a few years ago. I'm restoring a 84 chevy right now. I was thinking of putting the 53 on a 85 chassis and making the fenders wider. I heard there was a similar article here somewhere. The 53 is serial number 00001. First one off the assembly line in 53. It has to be restored but I'm going all out street rod. Got a 454 to drop into it.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 46
I was just up in Northern Alberta checking out some parts. There's a un-believable old car scrap yard just north of Gibbons. He has dozens of 50's cars and trucks. Decent prices.

Hi Celica, Was that Perry's projects, just past the railroad overpass and turn right? I've been there a few times. He leans toward GM stuff and I lean away from it, so I only bought a few things there. Good guy to deal with.

Hello

Welcome to RRR.............. If that's truly the first 53 that's a treasure in it's self keep that in the family forever and ever !!!

well I decided not to cut up serial number 1. I sold it as to a guy in Alberta. I picked up a 51 one ton in mint shape for $400. I took the cab and front end off the one ton frame and popped them onto the 85 Chevy shortbox 1/2 ton roller I had. Fits great except for the wheel stance. Probably gonna stretch all 4 fenders out 3-4". Gotta make room for the 454. Thanks for planting the seed about not chopping up the 53. It's gone to a better home and will be restored to 100% original. I've posted some of my 51 pics in the "Builds" section under 51 Chevy

Welcome Celica!
Maybe you can give me a general idea of chevs... I wanna start a project, and I can't decide between FORD or CHEV. I get the feeling the first one would be easier when it comes to finding spare pieces; do you have experience? Can you give me some advise?

Welcome Celica!
Maybe you can give me a general idea of chevs... I wanna start a project, and I can't decide between FORD or CHEV. I get the feeling the first one would be easier when it comes to finding spare pieces; do you have experience? Can you give me some advise?

There's lots of both here in central Canada. Good parts are still hard to find but there's a guy in Gibbons Alberta that only collects 50's cars and trucks. He has quite the collection. I bought rear fenders from him last year. Really nice guy ( Perry's Projects, 780-719-9572). I'm a die hard Chevy fan and would not consider anything else. I've driven and raced Chevys my whole life. Parts are definately cheaper and way easier to find. I think they sold way more of them than any other brand. Just my opinion. Pick a project that you can finish and give er. Way too many guys out there selling partly completed projects, which can actually save you a lot of time in most cases. Someone else has already done the bull work for you. Another idea to consider.

Latest posts

Back