54 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the lights, gonna do anything with the grill?[cl

Not right now. If I can find another grille I'm going to take out that center hump and weld in some pieces from the donor grille. That way the center bar goes all the way across, doing away with that big hump in the middle. I was hoping I could just take out that center chunk but the middle bar doesn't go all the way across. It butts to the center chunk.

I went out early and tried to do something before the heat got too bad. I managed to get the bumper in place.

The gravel pan has a hanger welded to it for a front plate. I put an old tag on it but it looked huge on there. I drilled a couple holes in one of my dragger plates and bolted it on.

The bumper was a bit too glossy too. I scuffed it up with some sand paper.

Why the red letters? 'cause it's HOT! The bumper is on but I'm going to jack it up so I can weld in some mounts to the main part of the frame. Just to be safe. It got too hot. It was almost 100 degrees in the garage before I closed the doors. Tomorrow it suppose to be over 100. It's been a long time since we seen heat like this around here. Crazy..

I wondered how I missed this thread? How many pages did you post in one day!!? Wow. Good stuff. Kinda disappointed you didn't take 2-3" out of the top. Like the grill as is, but what you say will be cool too. I'm gonna have to go back and check out the rest of the build.

I wondered how I missed this thread? How many pages did you post in one day!!?

I'm posting the build log on our club's forum as I work on it daily. Scroungers.net . I copied it from there and put here. It's easier that way. There has only been a few days I haven't worked on the truck. I bought the truck a while back but it was left sitting while I was working on another car. I pulled the 54 in the garage and on May 22nd I went to work on it. I haven't been on this build for too long. Less than 2 months

Kinda disappointed you didn't take 2-3" out of the top. Like the grill as is, but what you say will be cool too.
This is a quick build due to the fact I need a shop truck. If I had it my way I would do some minor stuff. VERY MINOR. Subtle so you couldn't figure it out. All just dreams though. This truck will be used to work, haul parts and drag a trailer.

1 1/2" off the roof to bring the lid down. Keeping the full rear window.

1 1/2" out of the body side. Section job.

1" out of the hood to pancake it.

2" forward of the rear fender, out of the bed. To make it shorter.

Pull the front and back bumpers in to the body and 2" out of the center. Curve the ends to roll with the body. Custom gravel pans to fit tight.

It all sounds a little crazy but it's very subtle and unless you knew your trucks you wouldn't be able to figure out what was changed. You would just know something wasn't factory stock.

This is a quick build due to the fact I need a shop truck. If I had it my way I would do some minor stuff. VERY MINOR. Subtle so you couldn't figure it out. All just dreams though. This truck will be used to work, haul parts and drag a trailer.

1 1/2" off the roof to bring the lid down. Keeping the full rear window.

1 1/2" out of the body side. Section job.

1" out of the hood to pancake it.

2" forward of the rear fender, out of the bed. To make it shorter.

Pull the front and back bumpers in to the body and 2" out of the center. Curve the ends to roll with the body. Custom gravel pans to fit tight.

It all sounds a little crazy but it's very subtle and unless you knew your trucks you wouldn't be able to figure out what was changed. You would just know something wasn't factory stock.

First off, let me tell you your "eyelift" on the headlights turned out AWESOME!:cool:[dr

I'm not abig fan of huge custom body mods, but all the subtle ones you describe above would look great. They would enhance the style of the truck without overpowering the beauty that was originally designed into it.:cool:

"Change for the sake of change" is NOT :cool: in my book... Change for the sake of enhancement, is.:)

Looking great, keep up the good work.

Hotter than all the [ddd here in So Ont, too. Up into the nineties, when you factor in the humidex, or humidity factor.:( Hate to say it, I'm looking forward to fall.

Regards,
Shea:)

I haven't updated the progress on the truck in a while. She's up and running. We have been driving the eyeballs out of it.

My baby girl.

I still haven't changed the wheels. I have been playing around trying to find something i like but I can't find anything. I guess I'll have to buy some chrome steelies.

I wedged the wood in tight and then drilled holes through the edges of the strips of wood. Then dropped in some carriage bolts, washers will hole the wood.

I grabbed a pencil and marked the washers.

Time to play with the router. I wanted to counter sink the bolts so they would not stick up and snag stuff in case I slid a sheet of drywall or whatever up into the bed.

All done routing.

ALOT of sanding. This was rough cut wood and I wanted it to look rough and not real smooth but this had to be sanded like crazy to just get it to look half way okay.

First coat of poly

The old tool box is screwed in but can be taken out easy if I need to hall any 4X8 sheets. The gas filler will lay under the bed if I do need to put anything big in it. I'm also going to put the top tray in the tool box to carry some common tools we all need at times.
When I need gas I'll just open the tool box and in it goes.

I'm at Lowe's grabbing some 2X4's and drywall. While I'm loading it this guy yells out "That doesn't look like no work truck to me!" I beg to differ, It's a truck and it's hauling what I need!

Latest posts

Back