'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea fro the storage boxes. I like em.
Do you have any more pics of the model A coupe?
Not that I could afford it but still.....

I partitioned the passenger side under seat storage area to hold the battery.
Working on the lowered windshield area today my gimpy shoulder, in concert with arthritic thumbs resulted in me dropping the windshield and breaking one of the panes. All part of the aging process, I guess.

Crabby Dave (I sold him my Model A)does all the glass for the local hot rods. Now that it is broken, I'll probably get a bit of a tint in the glass.

Here's an interior shot of the T & L Model A coupe.

I've had the old glass from my 50 sitting on my welding table for 6 months but I will probably trip over the box with the new glass and break those....:D

Did work that doesn't show most of the day. In the afternoon my radiator arrived. Found a piece of 14 gauge formed channel, 3" wide by 2" tall. Sliced and diced it til it was 3 1/2" by 1". Added some tabs so it sits 2" below the top of the frame.

Finished the lower radiator mount and after a false start, made this upper radiator bracket.
Spent the rest of the day finish welding patch panels.

Got some roller tires under the back. These are a little shorter than what I'll use. Will need more back spacing too. Got most of the welding done on the firewall and floor. Lots of holes remain to be welded shut. Now it's on to the front suspension. Welding the strut rod brackets in place. Then is will be a full roller.

The Rover will be put on the back burner soon as even though there's no sign of spring, it's time to finish the Reo project so it is ready for summer fun.

Welded a 2 1/2" wide strip of 18 gauge over the area below the windshield, covering the remaining slots from the vents. (Thanks, Terry & Lee, for the metal and cutting it.) The lowered windshield is equivalent to a 2 3/4" chop. Filled all the holes in the firewall. Welded the lower A arm strut rod brackets in place too.

I'll be working on the Rover for another month. We'll see how much I can get done. Main thing is I can't spend much money on it as other projects take priority. Won't be done this summer though, skull.

Okay, what can I do to this thing that won't cost money? Even though I have chopophobia, that's the next activity. I pulled the glass out of the doors. Sliding glass that wouldn't slide. And removed the door tops. They are held on by two 1/2" studs. You can see one in the lower right of the pic. I didn't realize it, but the door frames are wrapped with 22 gauge aluminum. Fortunately, Terry and I were able to pry the aluminum off the steel frame. After chopping, I am hoping I can reinstall the aluminum.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to save the glass? If it's plate (not tempered) it can be cut like a household window pane...

Doc, I was worried I'd have to cut that thin aluminum and weld it. But we were able to uncrimp it and remove it from the steel under frame. Now after chopping the steel frame I will reinstall the aluminum cladding. Will have to add a short length across the top door frame as that will be lengthened. If I can find some soft 22 gauge aluminum, I'll make a new top piece. Glass is tempered. I need to figure out a different arrangement for the glass as I can't hang my arm out the window the way it was. Being a product of the 50's, I have to have my arm out the window.

The pic in this post shows how much chop is currently planned. I can lower the windshield another inch but don't know if it is worth the work. The next pic shows the appearance with the additional inch chopped.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back