'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few more Bob. I like the phototape! :D

Basically I moved the windshield down the height of the vents. The second one I lowered the top without flat topping it. I didn't bother to lower it this time, which, I think makes a difference on how it looks. But you should be able to get the idea.

Attachments

• blr1.jpg
    blr1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • blr2.jpg
    blr2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 55
  • blr3.jpg
    blr3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 57

Started extending the inner fender panels to tie them into the firewall and foot box. Stiffen those aluminum fenders up that way. Then, a radiator mount, battery mount...anything to delay the chop. Chopping makes me nervous.

If you want to lower the crown of the roof too, (which looks better IMO) maybe you could find a donor roof off a single cab truck. It would still have some arch and you wouldn't need to slice and dice, just trim to fit and weld the perimeter.

Bob, if that chop were any simpler to do, Girl Scouts would be doing it. :D

Yes Sam, finding a lower crown roof off another truck cab is an alternative worth checking out. Today I was at Terry & Lee's house once again using the sheet metal brake. Terry brought up the idea of a lift off soft top. Or even a real convertible top. Some great ideas too.

I found this pic on Google images. More alternatives to ponder.

I'm gonna put an ad on Craigslist to see if any Girl Scouts would like to take on the top chop.

Using a system similar to the Jeeps would be simple to make a canvas top work. They also fold where your top can stay on and out of the way. I know the weather probably prevents you doing what I did all year long down here. A roll bar, a bikini top, and tension. You get a little spray in wet weather but not soaked. Down here in our mild winters, the heater still keeps your lower body warm and you just bundled up top. That was my preferred ride for many years. Next best thing as far as sightseeing to a motorcyle...

Finished the inner fender panels, except for some drilling and tapping of the frame to bolt them down.
No Girl Scouts answered my ad so I figured I'd do the chop myself. No turning back now. I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel. a Sawzall and a saber saw to make the cuts.

Here's how the door glass and the side glass line up. Probably will bring the windshield down another 3/4".

For the type of vehicle and where you live, removable hard top makes more sense to me. Better seal for cold weather.

I chopped the A pillars today. Saved the strip that goes directly below the windshield. If you want to see what it looks like, go back to the bottom of page 17.

Sam, first I'll try to use the existing top. First with the original roof cap and if it is too bulbous then I'll find a way to flatten it. If that doesn't work, then a whole new lift off top would be in order.

Windshield lowered 2 1/2". I think it helps the appearance a lot. Compare it to the pic above. Is it enough? Should it be chopped a few inches? The windshield is full height.

You guys are right. This Bronco looks good with full height glass. Note the windshield is pretty close to the cowl. That's what I am trying to accomplish.
My Rover looks Stone Age compared to this Bronco.

Doc. the frame is made from flat iron plate, welded on four edges to make a box section. It is very thin, maybe 12 gauge.

Spent the day cutting and bending 18 gauge sheet metal, making these storage bins that fit in the seat riser. Thanks again Terry & Lee (Tator here on RRR) for the use of your sheet metal brake and your assistance.
The battery might go in the passenger side one.

Latest posts

Back