700r4 lockup and what rear end ??????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verr1908

I have 1936 ford coupe just about to arrive in england ,going to us a stock 305 and 700r4 box what would be the best rear end (ie )gearing to make the box work correctly . Also i will need a kit to make the gear box work which is best ??

Thanks mark

I have 1936 ford coupe just about to arrive in england ,going to us a stock 305 and 700r4 box what would be the best rear end (ie )gearing to make the box work correctly . Also i will need a kit to make the gear box work which is best ??

Mark,
How will this car be used and where will it be driven? I drive mine a lot... around town & some highway usage. In my main driver I had a 4.11:1 but it was too radical for street tires & on the highway it was miserable. I switched to a 3.73:1 & it is perfect IMO. The 700R4 has a pretty low 1st gear & a fairly high 4th. In another car I have a 3.5:1, it doesn't accelerate as well but is great on the highway & gets better gas milage. Good luck!!!

BoB

Some of this will depend on the tire size and what cam you have in the motor. We had a T Bucket with a 383 stroker in it and a pretty radical cam. Had the 700r4 and a 3.73 gear. We had the 700 set up with a toggle so we could lock the converter when it went into OD. The cam was too radical and it would lug and surge. In this case a 4.10 would have been better. The car did great on the open road at 60-80 MPH and it got 22 miles to a gallon on the highway. It just did not work well with that cam around 45-50. If we left the converter unlocked till about 55 it was fine.

Something to add here. We used a 2500 stall converter for a 4cyl S10 truck. It has the lock up in it. So you have a 2500 stall a 3.73 or 4.10 rear and a 3.06 low gear in the tranny, that will really smoke the tires. Then you have the OD for cruising down the highway.

We had the 700 set up with a toggle so we could lock the converter when it went into OD. The cam was too radical and it would lug and surge. In this case a 4.10 would have been better.

My tranny shifts into 4th @ aprox 45 mph. With the 3.73 that dropped the rpm's down to around 1800 & my old motor would lug but it doesn't bother my new motor.

BIG THANKS for your repleys about the rear end ,who does a good lock up kit ????

Originally I had a manual switch style lockup but that sucked on the street & went to a lockup kit, can't remember which one but I'll take a look & see if I can find it.

BoB

Latest posts

Back