A chevy in a ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it depends on what you are building. My old 37 Ford RatRod had a 455 pontiac in it and it got the job done!!! However my 54 Buisness Coupe is all original body an I wanted to keep it all Ford. It had a SBC in it right before I got it and I didnt want the car with a Chevy motor in it simply because it was had all the original body parts. It is all about what the individual person wants and the SBC is so cheap to work on too.
[S

The 'ugly distributor in the front' comment always makes me laugh inside too.

I like it up front so you can get to it easy! My hands are bleeding right now from putting plug wires on the wife's Vette.:(

Just another reason I like old stuff, more room to get to stuff!!!![cl

You mean that SBCs were not an option in 30s Fords?.........lol

I like Chevys in everything.....cus, Im a Chevy guy, thats what I like. To each their own

As for being anal about brands, I find the MOPAR guys the silliest about it.

I don't know why people get all worked up about the same brand engine thing. It seems to me it's more of a recent complaint. People have been doing cross brand engine swaps since the beginning of the automotive era but recently I hear people grumbling about it more and more. Seriously? These folks should find something else to complain about.

I don't know why people get all worked up about the same brand engine thing. It seems to me it's more of a recent complaint. .
I started building cars and driving them in 85, and guys were giving other guys crap about it then, too.

I'll put a flaming turd in a car if thats what the customer wants.

I started building cars and driving them in 85, and guys were giving other guys crap about it then, too.

I'll put a flaming turd in a car if thats what the customer wants.

I must have been hanging out with a different crowd. Nobody cared, they just ran what they wanted to. I do try to avoid flaming turds when possible.

I put small blocks Chevys is most everything. But I do enjoy looking at other engines in hot rods.

The ones that leave me cold are late, late models that are totally shrouded in sheet metal. Nothing to see in the engine compartment on those.

I say build what you like. Chevy's are much cheaper.

I have always been a GM guy but I like to keep it in the same family. A ford is a ford keep it that way. I lucked out and got a flathead 8, its just cool! Im not sure what I would have done if it was anything else. I guess to me its worth more if it has a ford motor in a ford or a chevy in a chevy. But its your ride build it your way.

I think it's cool if you can match the engine to the body, but when you are hot rodding, it doesn't really matter. You probably aren't running the stock engine, transmission, brakes, or suspension. I specifically looked for a Chevy body, because I knew I wanted to run a Chevy engine.

Kinda seems the Rat Rod them is use what you have. I like Dodge myself but whatever you have seems to work.;)

I guess I just like variety more than anything else. Seeing a 350/350 in 80 percent of the rat rods at a show is like seeing them all with the same wheels, same seats, same color paint ect. I just miss the whole point of building an creative and unique rod only to put the least creative original engine there is. When I raced roundy round, it was nothing but small block chevy. That way you could share parts with other teams. Just be sure to tow to the track with a Ford so you can get home.

i like to mix it up. when i moved to alabama i had a 77 chevy truck with a 68 343 amc in it. at one time i had a factory buick with a olds motor a olds with a chevy and this one i still have is a 63 chevy truck with a buick motor in it.:D

Chevy in a Ford

Am I the only one that thinks Millners pee (couldn't use the other word it starred me) yellow Coupe is the ultimate hot rod, guess what, it had a CHEVY IN IT. and it was damn pretty looking !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back