A Text almost killed me

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I was driving on a narrow 2 lane country road today,was going up a hill,and just at the top of the hill the on-coming car was in my lane. I got over to the right,in the grass and honked the horn. The 20 something year old girl driving the other car ,looked up and turned right,just in time.She cleared my car by just a couple of inches.I know she was texting or something. I turned around and tried to catch her but I could not. I guess that is good ..Drive careful out there,and dont text and drive.

Texting is creeping up on DUI in numbers of accidents. It's illegal now in Illinois to you a hand held phone as you drive. I use a hands free Bluetooth (legal) and even that's bit too much in heavy Chicago/NASCAR traffic.

I'd love to see the plenty for Driving and Texting to be the Office takes a mallet and smashes the Cell phone on the spot.

Glad you're OK. :eek:

Hand held has been illegal here for some time. The penalty is $350 (I think) but it doesn't seem to matter.

I recently saw a "person" speeding through city traffic with his phone stuck to his head, pulling a trailer and skid-steer nonetheless. What's the combined weight? 30K?

My wife's car automatically links her phone to hands-free (she seldom uses it or the phone for that matter) what it should do, is disable the damn thing until the ignition is off... 'cuz trust me, like many people, she can't drive and drink coffee, much less listen, read, type or recite a bloody message. :D

Texting is creeping up on DUI in numbers of accidents. It's illegal now in Illinois to you a hand held phone as you drive. I use a hands free Bluetooth (legal) and even that's bit too much in heavy Chicago/NASCAR traffic.

I'd love to see the plenty for Driving and Texting to be the Office takes a mallet and smashes the Cell phone on the spot.

I think the number of deaths has actually surpassed those from DUI. I'm not sure why there isn't more of a public outrage. Probably because the Mad Mothers are texting too.

We live about 13 miles from the city limits and I'm a 'ten over' driver so I wind up behind people a lot. It's either old farmers going 50 or phone junkies running off the road. Watched one the other almost take out a mailbox. But as soon as they get to the city limits and into traffic they put the phone down and drive normal.

In town there are so many idiots the phone drivers just blend in. It has gotten worse though. For some reason, the worst are still the ones with handicap tags on their mirrors (not the plates) - I just give them plenty of room anymore. When they have a phone at their head, it's insane!

yep we get em here too..

heading home after a day in the office,, looked over at the driver who had suddenly decided to over take me,, and sure enough he was texting ,, at a few shades over 60mph....

he ran the risk off bouncing his car off the centre median ( wire ropes) and hitting me and a couple others, .. so I slowed a bit,, and watched him speed wobble his way down the road,, thinking the worst ... he made it to the other end ...

thankfully he didn't take anyone out along the way

ludicrous really we have $250+ fines.... for phone use..

20years ago we didn't have a phone in the car and we coped .....

over & out....

When I'm driving and my phone rings i'll answer and say I'm in my truck and hang up. Gonna have to find myself a 6v horn, sounds like a great idea!

Just the other day I saw an Eldorado weaving all over the highway @ 80mph. Yep... when I got up beside him... he was texting! Hate those fools!!!

BoB

We live about 13 miles from the city limits and I'm a 'ten over' driver so I wind up behind people a lot. It's either old farmers going 50 or phone junkies running off the road. Watched one the other almost take out a mailbox. But as soon as they get to the city limits and into traffic they put the phone down and drive normal.

In town there are so many idiots the phone drivers just blend in. It has gotten worse though. For some reason, the worst are still the ones with handicap tags on their mirrors (not the plates) - I just give them plenty of room anymore. When they have a phone at their head, it's insane!

I have often wondered if there is a law that when you're issued one of those tags to hang on your mirror that you have to drive at least 10 under the posted limit - :confused:

I started putting my phone and wallet both in the back seat (wallet so I don't have to sit on it), or somewhere out of reach when I get in the vehicle. Especially for commuting traffic I don't want the temptation, so I put it in the back and can't grab it until I stop at my final destination.

I only text and drive when I'm drunk. :eek:

Really, it amazes me how unconnected people are to the task at hand. A while back, a young lady I work with asked if anyone knew a good reliable body shop that could fix the front end of her new car. I asked her back, "Texting?" She blushed. I told her where to get her car fixed. I suspect she will pay more attention now.

I think that making handhelds illegal here has actually made matters worse! Used to be that you seen folks texting with their phones resting on top of the steering wheel where they at least stood a chance of seeing you and the road in their peripheral, but now everyone is looking down at their lap because they are trying to hide it.

One morning last fall I was heading into town during school bus time and both directions on the two lane road was bumper to bumper with buses and high school kids. My lane was stopped and I was counting "texters" when I noticed this girl with one hand on the wheel and looking straight down. She was only going about twenty five MPH and was in her own lane but when she got to my front fender I blew my horn just to wake her up [ddd I looked back in the mirror just in time to see her hit the ditch and then bounce back into the road. There didn't seem to be any damage and I kinda felt bad but I'm betting she still thinks to this day that she was across the center line and hopefully she quit texting and driving.

Great idea !!!

two words; train horn. Mount one on your car and give those distracted drivers a good blast.

Can't wait to get my big ole Chevy pickup going again. The TH400 ate itself up; sprag shrapnel and lots of grey matter in the pan. Got a used one cheap and guaranteed (in writing!), and if the glasspacks aren't loud enough to get their attention, then the planned train horns WILL !!! I pity the fool that hits that thing with the big tires and steel bumpers. It will eat econoboxes. :D

Rarely honk at anyone unless it is a dire situation. I think it's rude and mostly uncalled for. HowEVER, I may have to start making exceptions for STUPID PEOPLE, texters, and ... STUPID PEOPLE !!! They seem to breed like flies... :mad:

Reading this I have think most of the us are over or well over 50?

For me at least, a phone is still just a phone. It has no supreme importance in my world. I hate the fact I have to carry one. My wife travels for her job and combined age of our 4 parents is 342 years. For me phone is an electronic leash. I'm emotionally strong enough to be able to move about my day without talking to someone every minute.

Add to that for me, and I think many of you, driving is about Driving

So I find the whole text & drive mentality to be as foreign as driving on the left in Europe.

I think I'll go buy one of those Air Horns in a Can they use on boats. Cheaper than a train horn and I think a judge might laugh it I got hauled into court. :D

Last edited:
Reading this I have think most of the us are over or well over 50?

For me at least, a phone is still just a phone. It has no supreme importance in my world. I hate the fact I have to carry one. My wife travels for her job and combined age of our 4 parents is 342 years. For me phone is an electronic leash. I'm emotionally strong enough to be able to move about my day without talking to someone every minute.

Add to that for me, and I think many of you driving is about Driving

So I find the whole text & drive mentality to be as foreign as driving on the left in Europe.

I think I'll go buy one of those Air Horns in a Can they use on boats. Cheaper than a train horn and I think a judge might laugh it I got hauled into court. :D
Still under 30 here (slightly). I just would like to think I'm a little more aware of how my actions affect others.

Maybe it was safer to let them talk on the phone instead fo them looking into their lap trying to hide their text from the cops

Careful with the horns guys. I saw a guy in traffic court get stuck with a $300+ fine for using a air horn when not neccessary. The guy honked while in a traffic jam and a new renegade cop sited him for it.

It's not just texting that idiots due while driving. I've saw women doing their make up, people reading books/newspaper, writing, on the computer, and other dumb stuff. You see some real "special" people when ya drive enough miles.

changes in drivers

I think I might be one of the few without a cell phone?
I'm 55 and I just don't see what is so important that they cant wait to tell someone.
Me and my wife kinda get a kick out of going to eat , and see the younger generation on a date sit at a table and never talk to one another , But play with their phones texting[S the whole time.
I also wonder if drivers ed teaches common courtesy any more?
Lots of rude drivers out there any more.

Latest posts

Back