A Text almost killed me

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have made a few traffic stops for texting while driving..

I have no hesitation in citing them....funny part is that one young lady thought it would be ok to text while stopped at a traffic light...problem is she didn't move until she was done texting...I wrote her for impeding traffic... :D

I have no hesitation in citing them....funny part is that one young lady thought it would be ok to text while stopped at a traffic light...problem is she didn't move until she was done texting...I wrote her for impeding traffic... :D

It wouldn't surprise me if she was Texting while you were writing the ticket.

I think that making handhelds illegal here has actually made matters worse! Used to be that you seen folks texting with their phones resting on top of the steering wheel where they at least stood a chance of seeing you and the road in their peripheral, but now everyone is looking down at their lap because they are trying to hide it.

I agree! At least before it was illegal they had a good shot at seeing what was around them.

It's not just texting that idiots due while driving. I've saw women doing their make up, people reading books/newspaper, writing, on the computer, and other dumb stuff. You see some real "special" people when ya drive enough miles.

After spending over 30 years in a semi truck seat, I have see about everything you can think of. Couples having sex in various positions, some people having solo sex, playing with pets, on the phone or laptop, sometimes both at the same time, holding a china plate with one hand while eating a meal with a fork with the other hand, steering with their knees, drivers [or more like, pointers] with the drivers seat laid back so much you couldn't see their head through a side window, with one hand on the wheel at 12:00 pointing it down the road, the occasional completely nude driver, usually at night, they turn the dome light on to show themselves, all kinds of strange and goofy stuff.
None of it surprises me anymore.

Reading this I have think most of the us are over or well over 50?
For me phone is an electronic leash. I'm emotionally strong enough to be able to move about my day without talking to someone every minute.

I'm 56, and I agree, a cell phone is a leash. As a trucker, it's just about a requirement for the job anymore. When I first started running over the road 30 years ago, truck stops had phone rooms, with banks of pay phones on the walls, some had 20-30 pay phones. Now, try to find a pay phone anywhere, much less one that works! The cell has become part of the job. Now, dispatch can reach a driver 24-7 and not have to wait until he makes his next check in call. On the plus side, family can, too. When my youngest son was killed in a wreck a few years ago, my wife was able to reach me almost instantly after she found out, if I hadn't of had the cell, I would have been in LA or TX before I had called her. As it was, I was only about 50 miles from home. So it has it's plus and minus. But it is abused, and the advent of the smart phone has made it worse. I use a smart phone because I have to scan my bill of ladings and trip envelopes to get paid, plus I get to keep up with you guys when I'm on the road! I usually have a few minutes early in the mornings, and maybe a few around lunch. I don't usually post much from the phone because of big fingers and little letter keys. :D

This is the result of texting and driving. The young lady is lucky that she isn't dead. She surprisingly walked away. She hit the side of a bridge with the rear tire on the passenger side. It cut the sidewall out of the tire and it appears that it broke the center pin in the leaf springs. It all went down hill from that point for her. Nobody is really sure how she made it to where she was at in the pastor with the damage that's on the jeep.

Latest posts

Back