Acetone to increase gas mileage ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtall

Re-posting this, folks, originally/accidently stuck it under the "build"section.... anyway, I had asked if anyone ever heard of adding acetone to your gastank during fill-ups. Before the administrater deletes it from the other section I see a few have replied/chimed in on it. Any of you guys running acetone in your gasoline ?

True, but I hear the ratio is two ounces of Acetone for every 10 gallons of gas, or something close to that. Wife's cousin claims she's saving 20 % in gasoline expenses. Can't argue with that.

ive done this in my ford ranger 4cyl. adding 3oz for every 10 gallons of gas ive noticed better mileage cant tell you how much because my odometer doesnt work but i drive 22miles daily roundtrip to work n back and i would have to fill up every 2 weeks, but puttin acetone in i fill up 2weeks n 2 or 3days later.

I saw on Mythbusters they did a test on this and a bunch of other ideas like the hydrogen bottles. They found that none of the ideas worked and figured that people will change their driving habits while testing, thus getting better mileage.
I've read some convincing articles on the acetone but they actually said it got slightly worse. Wouldn't hurt to try for yourself even if it does just change the way you drive:D.

Sean

I did it for several tanks, measured it accurately and the only difference I could see was a ruined plastic measuring cup and the loss of money I spent on a gallon and a said measuring cup.
At the time I read some real world figures of fleets that kept close track and claimed some measurable increase in economy but it didn't work for me.

Interesting, WillowBilly3, what kind of vehicle did you try it on ? Again, I haven't tried it yet but I'm waiting to hear a bit more feedback so I can weigh the pros and the cons. From people I've talked to and posts I've read I'd say it's pretty even right now.

I actually considered doing this before I took the trip to Pauls house in Atlanta to pick up those '46 Ford parts. I figured it would save me some money on the 1200+ mile round trip. But then I read some stories on line about how it eats up expensive injector and other parts, and I decided I might be buying myself a whole lot of trouble.

I also remembered that years ago I had a riding lawnmower that sat beside our house (no room in the garage......gotta keep hot rod projects in there!! :D) Anyway, the tank would get water in it from rain, even though it was covered, so I would put a few drops of acetone into the tank to absorb the water and turn it into a burnable liquid. However, after a while the plastic and rubber parts in the carb and fuel system turned to mush and I had to replace them all.

Soooooooooooo, I took that into account and didn't try it on my daily driver.

Don

I was told about this too,but it wasn't so much for gas milage but octane booster.Back when I was racin stock cars on dirt somebody told me to dump a gal to 10 gal of gas to up octane of pump gas.Needless to say....It didn't work.Puttin moth balls in with your fuel.Dont think that works either.

Latest posts

Back