ackerman ok if I shorten the wheelbase ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyotb8

Hey Guys, I've been reading all I can about steering and the principles that affect it. Here's my dilema...I want to shorten the wheelbase of my 39 Plymouth pickup about 8-10 inches, moving the rear axle forward as I do a Z in the frame in front of the rear, and of course shortening the bed. I have read that there is a "line" from the kingpin thru the tie rod end to the center of the rear axle to have correct "ackerman". Will I have to bend my steering arms in when I shorten the wheelbase to keep all this in line ? Does it really make that much difference ? If I change to a different steering or subframe, it would be different also. And of course Mustang II would be different still since the tie rod ends are in the front of the kingpin instead of behind. I really want the old rod to steer good and go straight down the road. Thoughts anyone ?[S

The only time you will notice any problems, if the ackerman is not correct is on really sharp turns. Such as trying to park. Going down the highway at high speed you will not have a problem at all.

You know the principals of Ackerman. And yes there will be an effect in the steering. But depending on how far out of line things are, you may not even notice it. As RPM said, mostly turning in to park, or on U turns.

ackerman change?

Thanks Bonehead and RPM for the comments. I'm on my way to a Z and a shorter wheelbase !

I've had cars where the ackerman was WAY out of whack, like with the tie rod in front, and they all went right down the road. As the guys mentioned, you will get some tire scrubbing when you are making a hard turn into a parking spot or something like that, but that will be it.

Don

Latest posts

Back