Air Ride Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Got a few air ride questions, my end goal for the International would be air ride on all 4 corners. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, I'm simply looking to lift the front and the rear, no side to side, no front right corner and back left corner kinda seperate deal....

Simply one switch up and down for the front, and one switch up and down for the rear. My question is - what exactly do I need to source out for parts? Below I believe I think I have a list....please fill it out cause I'm sure I'll be missing some...

- 4 Bags
- 1 Compressor
- 1 Air Tank
- Air Line
- 2 Switches
- 4 Link & Panhard Bar

What am I missing?

Got a few air ride questions, my end goal for the International would be air ride on all 4 corners. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, I'm simply looking to lift the front and the rear, no side to side, no front right corner and back left corner kinda seperate deal....

Simply one switch up and down for the front, and one switch up and down for the rear. My question is - what exactly do I need to source out for parts? Below I believe I think I have a list....please fill it out cause I'm sure I'll be missing some...

- 4 Bags
- 1 Compressor
- 1 Air Tank
- Air Line
- 2 Switches
- 4 Link & Panhard Bar

What am I missing?

Bag brackets

Air valves

And fittings galore

Bag brackets

Air valves

And fittings galore

How many total air valves and do I need to source out a certain size/brand etc? Bag brackets would most likely be custom built. Fittings, well unfortunately that would be per application correct?

I'd like to put together an assortment DIY or Dummies list and possibly get it stickied.

From your air supply you will need a fitting at most bends, on each bag, both sides of each valve, etc. You need to first map out how and where you want to mount all your goodies, then what do you want to use for an air supply (bottle, bottle/tank, compressor, etc). On some of those IDI engines there is a spot to mount a York style air compressor that is belt driven. Start looking at pictures of different set ups and see what you like first. You can set your air up really nice and still be pretty cheap at times.

To keep sway to a minimum its best to put each bag on its own valves,instead of just T'ing the line.I used a valve pack but can use singles(fill/dump).Heres mine its set up to raise the front and rear separately.

Attachments

• backbed.jpg
    backbed.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 38
From your air supply you will need a fitting at most bends, on each bag, both sides of each valve, etc. You need to first map out how and where you want to mount all your goodies, then what do you want to use for an air supply (bottle, bottle/tank, compressor, etc). On some of those IDI engines there is a spot to mount a York style air compressor that is belt driven. Start looking at pictures of different set ups and see what you like first. You can set your air up really nice and still be pretty cheap at times.

I did see a build where a guy used bags from a Lincoln, been considering that but aftermarket bags are just around the same price as those. How cheap can they run? I'd be looking for function over looks, a realiable safe system would be better then one that looks super good - it'll be covered by a bed anyway.

To keep sway to a minimum its best to put each bag on its own valves,instead of just T'ing the line.I used a valve pack but can use singles(fill/dump).Heres mine its set up to raise the front and rear separately.

So confusing :eek: or maybe I'm dumb?

get you some firestone #2600 bags on all four corners, just like sneakysnake said about t'ing the lines, it is a bad idea. i would do as he said and go ahead and buy enough valves to be able to control each corner. one of my first trucks was t'd, i hated it if i had to dart into a parking lot i felt like i was riding in a boat. then if you have a bigger person than you riding in your ride you would have one side leaning while cruising down the road. that is how i changed lanes one night smacking a reflector, damaging my rocker panel to my cab, and getting pulled over. sometimes that extra $200-$300 pays off. but just to get the build going you can always tee it to move the truck and test it out.

get you some firestone #2600 bags on all four corners, just like sneakysnake said about t'ing the lines, it is a bad idea. i would do as he said and go ahead and buy enough valves to be able to control each corner. one of my first trucks was t'd, i hated it if i had to dart into a parking lot i felt like i was riding in a boat. then if you have a bigger person than you riding in your ride you would have one side leaning while cruising down the road. that is how i changed lanes one night smacking a reflector, damaging my rocker panel to my cab, and getting pulled over. sometimes that extra $200-$300 pays off. but just to get the build going you can always tee it to move the truck and test it out.

Due to the budget, I might T it and go from there - if that be my case...one valve per bag? Also as far as size - I notice they offer multiple sizes for the valves...any pros and cons for the different sizes? I found a company that offers an 8 pack of valves, 4 of one size, 4 of another?

Should I be considering the weight that each bag can handle? Given this is going to be a dually....quite possibly with a PTO dump bed.

Single Port Airlift Dominator D2500 bags for $67.99

That's not a bad price at all!

most valve set ups require an inlet and an outlet valve per bag. if you want a fast movement you can go 1/2" lines if you want a medium speed then go 3/8" if you want a little slower go 1/4". also you can run 3/8" valves with 1/2" lines to save a little cash.

most valve set ups require an inlet and an outlet valve per bag. if you want a fast movement you can go 1/2" lines if you want a medium speed then go 3/8" if you want a little slower go 1/4". also you can run 3/8" valves with 1/2" lines to save a little cash.

What do you mean an inlet and outlet valve per bag? So I need 2 valves per bag...?

Some valves are set up one way, so you need another valve to do the opposite. A two way does intake and exhaust with one valve. Those are sometimes cheaper made, kind of like the old Mac valves. Did I confuse you? Sorry, I'm typing via phone...haha.

Some valves are set up one way, so you need another valve to do the opposite. A two way does intake and exhaust with one valve. Those are sometimes cheaper made, kind of like the old Mac valves. Did I confuse you? Sorry, I'm typing via phone...haha.

Yeah a bit confused, should I link you what I'm looking at - maybe that would be easier?

Air Lift Dominator 2500 Bag
1/2" Valve
3/8" Manifold Option

Not entirely sure about the manifold, does it act as 2 valves?

My plan is to go stupid simple, I'm not looking to run a million different lines all over the truck with a thousand and one wires. I also obviously am looking to stay under a $3,000 budget too!

Yes, you need 2 valves per bag. One opens to fill from the tank, and the second opens to dump to the outside.

A basic system:
8valve.gif

I suggest using smaller valves and lines. Unless you plan to hop, big isn't warranted.

The T'd systems may lean bad in corners. Figure as you go through a corner, weight is transfered to the outer wheels, so the air from the outside bags will be pushed to the inside bags making for bad roll.

Don't buy cheaply made bags, especially if you will be able to drop below scrub line.

Yes, you need 2 valves per bag. One opens to fill from the tank, and the second opens to dump to the outside.

A basic system:
8valve.gif

I suggest using smaller valves and lines. Unless you plan to hop, big isn't warranted.

The T'd systems may lean bad in corners. Figure as you go through a corner, weight is transfered to the outer wheels, so the air from the outside bags will be pushed to the inside bags making for bad roll.

Don't buy cheaply made bags, especially if you will be able to drop below scrub line.

Picture didn't work, I'll try to steal the link and bring it up on a different tab. I don't plan to go below scrub line, nor do I plan to lay frame - just to bring it to a nice agressive lowered stance.

Edit ** Ugh, work has me blocked from that site for "Movies & Television".... REALLY!? **

Mac used to produce a valve that was made in a manifold, basically it operated as one unit that did the work of two, but in reality it was two valves inside one billet block. Those valves are cheap though.

I would run two valves per bag personally. Sucidedoors.com used to have some good priced stuff too.

Mac used to produce a valve that was made in a manifold, basically it operated as one unit that did the work of two, but in reality it was two valves inside one billet block. Those valves are cheap though.

I would run two valves per bag personally. Sucidedoors.com used to have some good priced stuff too.

Hmmm...maybe I should just purchase a prefabbed kit?

I'm scared. :(

haha my biggest fear is starting it, and ending up spending a million and one dollars to get it right.

Latest posts

Back