And now for something completely different.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's the last of them..

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 40
That looks great. I'm really glad you went the different route and used a olds, nothing wrong with the chevy's but something different deserves something different. Good job.

Regards,

Rev. D.

Got the side pieces started; now I have to find someone with a brake big enough to bend a 5 foot piece of 16 gauge. Everyone should have one, JM. We'll start the first step van drag races!

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 12
I had no idea that you were going to take the build this far. Are you changing the styling of the front piece too?

I didn't either, Flip. It just snowballed once I got going. Yeah, I'm going with quad round headlights and a fabbed tube grill; not sure if i'm using round or square tube yet. The original front clip was too beat up to save. Since it's all flat metal I figured I'd try my hand at building one from scratch.

Nice rims, but I'm more a fan of old school wheels. I'm sure they will look great but I would have gone with something more nostalgic personally.

Just my opinion

T1

Yeah, I'm still looking; not a whole lot of choices out there in this size but I kind of like these. I was going to just do a stock steel wheel with a chrome dog dish but finding a 5x5.5 with a 4.25" center is tough. Plus the dog dishes wont fit over the front hubs. I guess that's the breaks of building something off the wall.

Hey Falconvan, Killer little build you have here. I have been reading it and I can't wait to see you finish it. You were talking about wheels, if you do want to get some steelies for it, try the Dodge pickup 20" spare tires. they have the larger center, and 5x5.5" pattern. you may be able to pick up some centers or you could get get a set of bullet center caps and matching lugnuts.

Just a thought. keep up the killer work!!

Last edited:
Man this thing is so cool makes me want to build one. I know where there is one that use to be a budweiser van. Cant wait to see it done.

hey Falconvan,
Since your going to build the front section--how about canted quad lights with a vintage floating crossbar set-up like the old lead sled style. Love the build and with some fold down seats in the back, table it would make a cool little weekend get away camper!! [cl John T.

Thanks guys; I'm really glad there's some interest in this. I didn't know how a step van build would go over when I started on it. I know you have to do your own thing but nobody want to build something that everyone thinks is stupid. Half the fun is sharing the build with friends. Anyway, the feedback is cool; thanks again.
I did a bunch more sanding today; on the rear quarter pieces and about half the roof. I'll never complain about sanding a car again after this one is done. It's endless; but at least there's more behind me than ahead of me.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 23
Got another decent weekend of work in. I got the whole top sanded; also found a guy with a 8' brake so I got my front piece bent. I got these quad headlight assemblies from a 68 Dodge and these trim rings from Ebay; hopefully we can put it all together and make something. Also painted the back of the rear quarter pieces with POR-15. These bolt on; I hope the coating will keep them from rusting in the future. I'm going to do the same on the back of some other bolt on pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 22
You have great ideas and are doing very nice work. But mainly, I'm impressed that you can tackle all that surface area with a DA! Yours is one of the many fine builds going on on RRR right now. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

That $39.95 JC Whitney DA sounds like it's about to fly apart after all this. I'm curious to see if it survives until the end. Thanks for the encouraging words, Bob!

Latest posts

Back