another 29 model a sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

this one actually has a story behind it. my mentor brought this car back from north dakota about 7 years ago and sold it to a buddy of mine. it was an all original unrestored driver. my buddy drove it just as it was since they can only be original once. my mentor always told him he need to build a hot rod out of it.
my mentor passed away in the spring and about a month later my buddy and i were out in the car when the drag link came off. we hit a pole going 45 mph we both walked away with out a scratch. but the car was hurt. wiped out the driver fenders, running board, axle, wheel, and blew out the trans. so we think it was my mentor forcing us to make a hot rod. so thats the plan. really early period hot rod. 8ba flat head, 3 spd. trans. 4 inch drop axle, 46 ford rear end with a t spring. keep the fenders off will have a hood. today was the first day of building. i tore the car down a couple months ago. hope to have it done in a few weeks. i dont have any pics of it together when i was wrecked just pics of the parts and the body tore down.

DSCN1923.jpg

DSCN1924.jpg

DSCN1925.jpg

DSCN1922.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2502.jpg

Cool!

Cool story that will end up great and make your mentor happy!
I'm sure he's got an eye on the build of the hot rod!
Gotta love the 29 sedan.My shop is really not that far from you,so I might just have to cruise down and visit. Keep up the good work![cl

made a little more progress, didnt get to work on it a ton. i had to make some mirrored stainless engine bay panels for a 64 ranchero. but here is what i got. front frame rails boxed, motor mounts made, motor in, trans x memember in and started mocking up the pedals

001-21.jpg

003-17.jpg

004-15.jpg

007-12.jpg

006-15.jpg

005-15.jpg

Man, I would love to have a sedan like that! You"ll know if the mentor is happy with the build if it fires up on the first try!

a little bit of an update. ran into some clearance issues with the f1 box so had to do an old school mod to it. you take the f1 box and cut off the mounting flange snout and shorten the entire snout by almost 1 1/2 inches. then you cut off the mounting flange snout of a 28-29 model a box to replace the f1, and it mounts in the stock location. there are some things i left out but you will see in the pics of the whole process.

dissembling the f1 box
002-21.jpg

model a snout removed
001-23.jpg

f1 snout removed
010-9.jpg

there was some machine work i did that i did not take pics of out of forgetfulness, i chucked it up the model a snout in my lathe to face the end and bevel the edges for welding
the box dry mocked up and new snout slipped on. you have to mount the box in the frame to re index the flange to get it where you need the column to go.
009-8.jpg

box tacked and pulled back out. then it must be disassembled for welding. here you can see the large bevel
011-8.jpg

012-7.jpg

fully welded and ground ready to be re assembled to finish mock up
013-5.jpg

now you have to modify the pitman arm, you can heat and weld the arms due to them being forged they just have to cool down slowly, no quenching
002-20.jpg

and with the column shortened, notice how little room there is for the rear exhaust tube.
003-18.jpg

004-17.jpg

and now came the chore of getting the exhaust to work. everything is just tacked up for mock up, the headers will be pulled and fully welded and smoothed
006-16.jpg

007-13.jpg

008-12.jpg

been a while since i have posted on this build, been working on some other customer cars. things on this have also been progressing it is the kind of things that are not photo worthy, like welding, grinding and bending things that look pretty much the way they did the same morning soooo....

frame is fully welded, rear spring eyes were reversed, pedals are in working order, most of the welds are ground everywhere, brake assembly in and working so far. everything gusseted torque tube and drive shaft shortened. pretty much in the home stretch. all that needs done is new trans mount bushing, wired, plumbed, and new shackle bushings and it will be done as far as i am taking it for now! it will be at Cincinnati s cavalcade of customs in early Jan 2011

012-9.jpg

011-10.jpg

007-16.jpg

006-20.jpg

005-20.jpg

001-31.jpg

004-23.jpg

001-30.jpg

003-23.jpg

008-14.jpg

made some steering parts today, the link from the pitman arm to steering arm was 7/8 OD 1/4 wall that i bored out to 5/8 inner dia. and tapped to fit the early ford tie rod ends. had to put a small bend in it for it to clear the bone.

tail light from an old school bus, cut off the spare tire flange and made a new bracket to attach the light

010-12.jpg

009-11.jpg

003-25.jpg

004-24.jpg

Latest posts

Back