Another auto parts store rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a kid ask me if I wanted inner or outer rod and main bearings at advanced once. I said I prefer mine to go on the inside. When he went to get the parts I asked the manager if he had any employees that had a clue. He asked what I meant by that? I told him the story and even he didn't have a clue what the problem was. Kid was trying to get me wheel bearings.

Same store, different kid. I asked for a pinion seal for a ford 9", I also had the old one with me . He did the whole questionare crap. After I told him that it was in a 66 imperial he still tried to get me a part, for the 8 3/4.

I have always said that if they could figure out a way to run the stores with NO people they would be thrilled !

Don

Give me access to the parts books, a guy at the register to check out, and I'd be OK with that!

Which brings up another thing that ticks me off: online stores that do exactly like the kid behind the counter - force you to pick a year/make/model/series and will only show you what is available for it! If I need to find a master cylinder or a door striker to fit my rat, I want to be able to see everything available without having to guess 2 dozen times at what year/make/model might work.

What has caused most of this problem is the mentality of the upper management of companies like Autozone and Advance. The one controlable expense is labor and they have found ways to bring that cost down to an absolute minimum by staffing the stores with as few people as possible and using either part timers or people who don't ask for big salaries. I have always said that if they could figure out a way to run the stores with NO people they would be thrilled !

Don

Don,

While I understand where you are coming from I do not think this is the main problem.

WE are the main problem (not us personally WE as in a society)

As a society we have asked for higher wages and lower prices. The two are inverse of one another. In order to pay higher wages the cost of goods sold goes up.

To combat this parts stores have computerized everything in order to hire people at a lower wage. This allows parts prices to remain low while cost remain level.

For instance, I hear many complain about Chinese or other foreign parts. I also have heard the same people complain about the price of a well made US part. The same people then buy the inferior part to save money, then complain when it is a pile of doo doo.

I agree the chain stores are fairly useless and the caliber of employees is below inferior. Yet if each of those employees was of higher caliber, knew the difference between a 10 bolt and a 12 bolt, etc., and was paid $20 plus per hour the parts prices would go up and we would go looking elsewhere.

Customer service! What's that? Went to Autozone to return my old brake pads that were guaranteed forever...( bet they hate that cause I put new pads on my wifes minivan every 10,000 miles....religiously...she's that hard on em) the idiot working the store says to me with an attitude..."what the hell do you want me to do with them?" I responded with give me my money back and lose the attitude while you're doing it......another Autozone where I used to live has a woman manager who previously was a clerk in a convenience store. How does that qualify you to run a parts store?[S

Very good points, Goose em. We have all participated in the killing of small businesses in this country and and chosen to shop the Walmarts and Autozones because we wanted to save a few bucks. I did it, and so did everyone else.

I don't think there is any turning back now, we have made our beds now we have to lay in them.:(

Don

Ive asked them for the spark plug gap on my 93 cummins. The dude behind the counter look for a few minutes befor askin some one else who then laughed and told him there wasnt any spark plugs. I got a good laugh

I'm still blaming corporate greed. :D

Two good $20 guys can flog more product than four $10 kids but all they see is two guys who make too much. It's degenerative.

So, now you pay $40/hr for four lemmings and teach them to match primary colors on a screen. Result? Lower volume and less profit. (What color is your truck, sir?)

Answer? Hire more lemmings and buy cheaper product. Aha! Cheaper product (same mark-up or more) and two more lemmings should do it. Give them cheap and they will come. They won't be happy, but they will come.

Now we are the lemmings no matter who's to blame for this fiasco.

Here's something that works for me and avoids the Pied Piper. I keep a cash account (no credit application or terms) with a couple of the good suppliers in town. Having an account gets me dealer cost on quality parts and sometimes cheaper than the crap from a "box store". Small business is happy to have a repeat customer and take my money on the barrelhead.

Of course, there's always evenings and weekends. Then I have to put on a stunned face and dance to the flute. :mad:

Don,

While I understand where you are coming from I do not think this is the main problem.

WE are the main problem (not us personally WE as in a society)

As a society we have asked for higher wages and lower prices. The two are inverse of one another. In order to pay higher wages the cost of goods sold goes up.

To combat this parts stores have computerized everything in order to hire people at a lower wage. This allows parts prices to remain low while cost remain level.

For instance, I hear many complain about Chinese or other foreign parts. I also have heard the same people complain about the price of a well made US part. The same people then buy the inferior part to save money, then complain when it is a pile of doo doo.

I agree the chain stores are fairly useless and the caliber of employees is below inferior. Yet if each of those employees was of higher caliber, knew the difference between a 10 bolt and a 12 bolt, etc., and was paid $20 plus per hour the parts prices would go up and we would go looking elsewhere.
Reminds me of a saying my Dad had.
"You can't afford to save that much"

I agree.....never heard the term lemming though.....lol

I'm still blaming corporate greed. :D

Two good $20 guys can flog more product than four $10 kids but all they see is two guys who make too much. It's degenerative.

So, now you pay $40/hr for four lemmings and teach them to match primary colors on a screen. Result? Lower volume and less profit. (What color is your truck, sir?)

Answer? Hire more lemmings and buy cheaper product. Aha! Cheaper product (same mark-up or more) and two more lemmings should do it. Give them cheap and they will come. They won't be happy, but they will come.

Now we are the lemmings no matter who's to blame for this fiasco.

Here's something that works for me and avoids the Pied Piper. I keep a cash account (no credit application or terms) with a couple of the good suppliers in town. Having an account gets me dealer cost on quality parts and sometimes cheaper than the crap from a "box store". Small business is happy to have a repeat customer and take my money on the barrelhead.

Of course, there's always evenings and weekends. Then I have to put on a stunned face and dance to the flute. :mad:

We lost our NAPA store in town a few years back after Autozone got in....sad day as the guys at NAPA were a family owned business.....the oldest kid just started as the O'Rieley's manager which was built just a year ago.....at least he knows parts....I am not fond of O'Rieley but they do seem to have a ton of stuff even Autozone doesn't have...I use them both....and have cash accounts at both also....as the youngest kid works at a local repair shop he still gets a bit more off than i do but normally only a couple bucks....everybody wants to save as much as possible....me, I think spending a few bucks more for a part that's quality isn't a bad thing...problem is there is no such thing lately....we can thank free trade for most of the issues regarding most manufacturing....but it looks like it might be turning around some....it will never be what it was but maybe there's still hope....[S

Reminds me of a saying my Dad had.
"You can't afford to save that much"

And that reminds me of my Grandfather. "Cheap costs money".

....but it looks like it might be turning around some....it will never be what it was but maybe there's still hope....[S

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One of the suppliers I spoke of has recognized the opportunity and opened their otherwise "accounts only" business to the public. Why? Because the "big guys" have gouged the market so bad, the little guy can play ball. People are tired of poor service and changing the same part thrice.

Where's Tommy Callahan when you need him? :D

That's as bad as when I went to the Autozone a few weeks ago. Had a bad battery, charged it for a bit, just enough to get the car started. Then drove it to pick my youngest up from school, back home to drop him off then to the Autozone, without shutting it off. Kid comes out and tests it, watch the test and can tell that the battery is shot right off but the reading he gets is charge and retest. 1 hr charge time (waited in line for 45 minutes at the school). Told him I'll bring it in, it's bad, it's had plenty of charge time and won't hold a charge.
Now the brain dead manager has to have his 2 cents. It's still stuck in my head what he said after I informed him I charged it on the charger at home and drove it an hour.
"Well Sir, the alternator does not charge the battery."
Um, what? Then what does it do?
"It just runs the car but it won't charge the battery."
Told the kid to test it again and it showed bad this time. Manager came over and complained about having to swap out this nice 170$ battery that was shot in 2 years (5 year battery) then got REAL upset when I asked where the vent tube and plug were for the battery.
Got "you don't need them with this battery." I told him like hell, the battery sets inside the car, it requires a vent tube to expel the gasses outside the car so as not to create an explosion hazard. All batteries of this type installed in the passenger compartment are required to have them. He was dumbstruck so I asked to pull the ones from my old battery to which he just replied with a dumb nod.
The manager is a older grey headed gentleman in his 70s that I would think would have been smarter than this teenager that was helping me. My 5 year old knows more about cars, sadly.
At least he isn't the main manager of the store. Sad thing is, this is the district headquarters/training store. I wish there was a mom and pop store anywhere around here. Have Autozone, advance and oreilly. Then the Napa that is twice as much on most items, and the guys there aren't very bright either. I look the parts up myself online then go in with a list of parts numbers most of the time. Saves me a migraine.

I order my parts from advanced online and go pick them up. I save a ton of money with all the coupon codes available.

:eek: Don`t shoot guys! :eek:

I have worked at one of my local Autozones(yes, we have two...) for about a month now. I`ve had several guys come in for hot rod stuff, pretty much had to ditch the computer system(or work around it) to find what they needed. Girl that was working with me just looked at me like I was nuts :rolleyes:

On the flip side, about half of the other employees are the people you guys have been talking about. Same girl as before, I`m helping a guy with finding some wiper blades. She comes up as I`m telling him to pick out two 22" wiper blades(what his truck called for), and bring them up when he`s ready. She says that they HAVE to be one of these part numbers.....:confused: The list she handed him was a list of all the 22" wipers we carry.

And lastly, just to play devil`s advocate, the computer system is very much needed. 80% of people who come in don`t even have a clue what they are driving. It forces them to make sure they get the right part(barring employee error). Some of the 100,000 questions it asks are irrelevant, but without the system, very few people would get the right stuff.

You guys are in the 5% that come in knowing exactly what you need, what it`s for, what it does, ect. ;)

-Jake

Last edited:
i like messing with the parts people, i go in wanting parts for a 63 chevy truck with a buick motor in it a 88 s15 jimmy with a 305, and the sort.

Was kinda hoping somebody who works there

:eek: Don`t shoot guys! :eek:

I have worked at one of my local Autozones(yes, we have two...) for about a month now. I`ve had several guys come in for hot rod stuff, pretty much had to ditch the computer system(or work around it) to find what they needed. Girl that was working with me just looked at me like I was nuts :rolleyes:

On the flip side, about half of the other employees are the people you guys have been talking about. Same girl as before, I`m helping a guy with finding some wiper blades. She comes up as I`m telling him to pick out two 22" wiper blades(what his truck called for), and bring them up when he`s ready. She says that they HAVE to be one of these part numbers.....:confused: The list she handed him was a list of all the 22" wipers we carry.

And lastly, just to play devil`s advocate, the computer system is very much needed. 80% of people who come in don`t even have a clue what they are driving. It forces them to make sure they get the right part(barring employee error). Some of the 100,000 questions it asks are irrelevant, but without the system, very few people would get the right stuff.

You guys are in the 5% that come in knowing exactly what you need, what it`s for, what it does, ect. ;)

-Jake

Would speak up.....I would bet you could tell horror stories about some of the stupid people who come in that simply don't have a clue....So I can understand your point.....I've been lucky that even the new guys / gals that start working at the zone are advised of who I am if they don't already know...so I don't get the deer in the headlight looks when I come in and walk around the counter to look up what I need....like I said, they let me come around and do my own look up and even pick the part off the shelf....but I go into the store in uniform sometimes to get parts so they usually have seen me at one point or the other....Most have been good kids that try hard but never got much instruction....my feeling is maybe I can help educate them by not getting upset if they don't get something right the first time and show them something they might not know....

It's not just the parts store that have brain dead employees. The company I work for uses a nationally known company for our fleet maintenance. The are in the same industrial park as we are so they are real convenient if you need to drop off a truck.
My truck had a relay that was buzzing that controlled the day time running lights. Not a big deal to repair but when I got my truck back the cigarette lighter did not work. I need power for my GPS so I went right back and told them about the problem. The mechanic said the lighter had to be good because the radio works and they are on the same fuse. Fair enough but since they just took my dash apart maybe they did not get the wires connected. I absolutely could not believe a certified mechanic could not figure out to check the wiring. I left :mad: and fixed it myself.

Aren't most cigarette lights run off the dome lamp circuit??

It's not just the parts store that have brain dead employees. The company I work for uses a nationally known company for our fleet maintenance. The are in the same industrial park as we are so they are real convenient if you need to drop off a truck.
My truck had a relay that was buzzing that controlled the day time running lights. Not a big deal to repair but when I got my truck back the cigarette lighter did not work. I need power for my GPS so I went right back and told them about the problem. The mechanic said the lighter had to be good because the radio works and they are on the same fuse. Fair enough but since they just took my dash apart maybe they did not get the wires connected. I absolutely could not believe a certified mechanic could not figure out to check the wiring. I left :mad: and fixed it myself.

Or am I showing my age???

Would speak up.....I would bet you could tell horror stories about some of the stupid people who come in that simply don't have a clue....So I can understand your point.....I've been lucky that even the new guys / gals that start working at the zone are advised of who I am if they don't already know...so I don't get the deer in the headlight looks when I come in and walk around the counter to look up what I need....like I said, they let me come around and do my own look up and even pick the part off the shelf....but I go into the store in uniform sometimes to get parts so they usually have seen me at one point or the other....Most have been good kids that try hard but never got much instruction....my feeling is maybe I can help educate them by not getting upset if they don't get something right the first time and show them something they might not know....

Basically everything I have learned so far, I learned because I asked somebody how to do it, or one of the two managers that actually care showed me. We don`t get a lot of instruction, unless we are uhh, persistent. Ya, lets go with that. :cool:

Or am I showing my age???

I`ve seen some on the dome/courtesy circuit, and some on the radio circuit(and some are one and the same). Of course, I`ve worked on a bit of a year range myself....

I guess I'm spoiled.:D We have a wonderful family owned parts house in the small town I live close to, about two miles away. These 3 guys have been in the business since they were kids helping at their Dad's Service Station that grew into the parts store. And a couple of their kids are coming in after college and working, too. They've helped me with problems from lawnmowers to my semi trucks. And most of the time, have just what I need sitting on the shelf!

I use O'Reilly for some things when I need it after hours or Sundays. They have a couple of guys who know their stuff, and one girl that does pretty good, too. I have to drive 15 miles to get to them though.

Rockauto is great for older stuff, too. I have bought a lots of stuff for my Maverick and Vette from them. Most of the time their prices are better than anybody else's, but you have to check, sometimes when you add the shipping it turns out that locally is cheaper.

Along with the million questions they ask I always tell them the color incase they were wondering.

Latest posts

Back