Another auto parts store rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I needed to buy a gas cap for the Isuzu NPR diesel that I drive at work. Stopped by the Advanced Auto at the end on my street. The girl needed to know engine size [S and gas tank size [S. I did not know what the tank size is so I brought the truck by later and a different kid was there and he about passed out trying to find a gas cap. Sure was a lot of trouble for a $10 cap.

My latest adventure

My forklifts starter took a crap about 6pm in the evening. So all good stores are closed and I need the forklift for work in the morning. To top it off I'm 300 miles from home.

Off to autozone,
The goofball who looked like he fell face first into a open tackle box said he couldn't test it without a accurate part number. Ok, look up any older sbc starter. It's the same delco motor just a different nose cone. He says he can't do that because the tester might put out to much juice and blow the starter up. I just stared at him....

I go to oriellys.
They can't test it either. So I just told them to get me a starter for a sbc. The manager who told me she was a retired school bus driver that had never turned wrenches asked what good that would do? I told her I planned on taking it apart and using it to fix mine. She assured me that they wasn't meant to be took apart and that it would never work again! I laughed and agreed. So I back my truck to the front of the store to use the stores light and take apart the new starter to fix mine. I fixed mine (changed nose cones and sylenoids) and the whole staff of the store was amazed and I was still annoyed. Took mine back in with the sbc cone on it and got my core money back.

There is a manager at an O'Reilly's near me that drives a '57 primered, lowered "rat" Plymouth. He also has a rat T-bucket. Both are old school, with everything home-built by him. When I need one of those hard to come up with parts, I talk to him. Radiator hoses will be my next quest. He actually helped me find wipers blades that worked for my '53 Chevy 3100.

This store also has a couple older guys who have actually worked on cars. I drive past 2 Auto Zones and a 2 O'Reillys to go there.

Latest posts

Back