Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tw7256

Okay I have very little done yet and this one is going to be low buck and maybe even a little funky. I'm going to use what I have lying around. I want it to be simple to build, handle well, run great and hopefully look cool. About 2 months ago I got this Old 53 GMC 2 ton that had been setting in a farmers pasture since 1987. He owed me some money for repairing the wiring on his 66truck that the pack rats had chewed. It was big job and I know the Gentlman was not rich so I worked out a trade for the truck and some cash.

oldnumber53006.jpg

At first I tried to sell the truck on Graigs list or maybe parts of it. I even posted on this site in the for sale section but it got pulled because of my low post count. I was not really wanting to sell it that bad but you know how it goes sometimes. Sorry I misunderstood the rules guys! Anyhow things happen for a reason right? So my plan is to build a fenderless truck as I don't have the right fenders or the bed and I just dig em! I have this Camaro front stub and as it turns out the Camaro steering box is closer to the axle centerline than other GM clips and it does not get wider at the back. It seems ideal for what I have in mind.

oldnumber53010.jpg

I cut the frame horns off at the front of the steering box. My goal is to get the front wheels as far forward as possible. the steering box may stick out some in the front but I have a plan to camoflage it some. While I was at it I welded over the factory seams for a little more strength. I am also going to section the cross member to allow the engine to set lower and clear the harmonic balancer.

oldnumber53015.jpg

I intend to use a Olds 455 with a tubo 400. I really like those old behemeths. I'll fab my own headers like I did on my 56 truck. I figure to have the engine set back approx. 6" but will need to do the mock up first. I still have not locked down what rear end I will use. I'm leaning toward a 8.5 GM with coil springs. Who knows but I can nail that down later.

Solid looking truck why not use the frame and front axle from the original truck? Seems like it would be less or about the same amount of work.

I'm kind of influenced by dirt track cars like IMCA modifieds. I like that look. most of them in this area use a gm stub. I intend to build a front bumper like one of those. i might even use some racing wheels and tires like you would see on a modified. I want to see if i can make one look good using a IFS stub.

I'm a racer too, asphalt not dirt, so I know where you're comming from. I've had many thoughts of building a race inspired rod, my problem is deciding what I think would look the best. I kinda like the old 40's coupes done modified style. You'res sound interesting keep us posted.

Got a little more done this week. As I mentioned before I sectioned the cross member and cut the scrubber thing off of it. One reason was to get more clearance and another is if I decide to use a rack I'll have a nice flat spot to mount it on.One more thing I may need to do is make some clearance for the power steering pump. I'll know more after the mock up.

oldnumber53017.jpg

I had another bit of good luck. A freind of mine who owns one of the nicest 2 door 56 chevy wagons in this area decided to go with tubular A-arms on his Camaro stubbed wagon. He gave me the A-arms that already had new ball joints and poly graphite bushings. These had zero miles on them and were already coated with POR-15.

oldnumber53018.jpg

Please don't laugh at my art work but this should convey what I am trying to do here.

oldnumber53019.jpg

I'm about ready to start taking the cab off the truck If the weather will hold up. Oh and by the way I beleive I have the old L-6 engine sold from the truck.
I'm not going to need it.

HA! HA! HA! HA! .... just kidding. ;) Not bad representation. Make it a hardtop. though. Or make a speedster style windscreen or something. Maybe just cut it at about 8".

I spent some assembling the sub frame this weekend. I needed to do this to find out what parts I needed. This frame was made up of several different stubs. I used some 4x4 blocks too represent the springs. I cut them to 9" but probably would of been better to cut them at 10". I did this so that I could simulate the correct ride height. Some of these parts have seen the local dirt track for a few laps. They seemed to have survived okay and will work for now.

oldnumber53025.jpg

Also while I was at it I posistioned the 455 in it's approximate location while it was all setting up on the saw horses. I learned a few things by doing this. I'll need to section some more from the cross member so that the power steering pump will clear and allow the engine to set in the center. Another option is a smaller diameter pulley on the pump. I'll most likely do both.

oldnumber53021.jpg

I can now roll the sub frame around so I took it outside and placed the hood in it's theroretical place.

oldnumber53029.jpg

I'm working on getting the cab off of the truck now.

Last edited:
Not much to report on this weekend. I hope to get more done on Christmas vacation. 62 Chevy II hooked me up with these bed sides and a GMC tail gate.

oldnumber53033.jpg

As I stated earlier I am working on getting the cab removed. Today I took out the seat. As seen the pack rats had a nice nest built in there. This is one nasty chore with all the rat turds and such. The pack is the only creature that comes to mind that will even collect the turds of other animals. Well a new kind of rat is moving in. The north American garage rat is taking it from here.

oldnumber53041.jpg

If I can get some more decent weather I'll power wash the rat urine smell out of here.

oldnumber53045.jpg

I found some cool stuff amoung the rat debri such as a new 6 volt headlight still in the box,a cattle prod, A three bar light set up that I might use on the back. spark plugs, points, belts and a nice tire iron.

oldnumber53036.jpg

Heres to some more nice weather!

I'm pumped today. I got plenty done but my reason for being so busy is not what it seems. Last night my mother passed away. It was not unexpected and I have been trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of things. So between the tears I worked my butt off. My eyes are burning but she was suffering and is way better off with the Lord than here on earth. Please don't feel obligated to condolances. I don't really want this thread to take on a sad note. I'm certain that most of you guys feel for my lot. Thanks! Lets talk about happy stuff.

I got the cab removed today. I used my old International tractor with front loader to lift it off. That crappy old tractor is the most useful thing I own.

oldnumber53gmc002.jpg

After enlisting some help I posistioned the front stub and the hood. I also took an old reject header from my 56 for some help imagining it with headers.

oldnumber53gmc008.jpg

It looks like I will end up with 115" wheel base or so. Thats longer than I had thought. I moved the front wheels back about 2" and was pleased with that look for now. Looks to have ample room for the 455 Olds.

oldnumber53gmc015.jpg

Heres another shot with the headers. Sorry it's out of focus.

Copy2ofoldnumber53gmc013.jpg

Next I'll mock up the rear axle and bed along with the grill. Stay tuned and God bless everyone!

Good job buddy. I like your attitude and the truck is pretty good too. I especially approve of the Olds 455/thm 400.... that's what I'm running in my '50 Ford truck. Merry Christmas... all the best.

fenderless 53

hey TW

I am in the process of building a 53 1/2 ton, you have just the stance that I have been looking for. Not too low, not too long, but very driveable too. Thanks for the pictures of the mock up. Now I know mine wont look wierd. I am shooting for that old stock car (mid 60's era) type look; my hood sits right where yours sits in your mock up. Your rig looks great. Keep on cuttin and fittin. Hey how 'bout a metal screen for a grill (in front of a huge radiator of course)???

Today here in south central Kansas we are having a good old fashioned blizzard. So I spent the day inside the shop working on my bed sides. After removing the angles I measured 24" from the center of the notched in each direction to come up with a 4' bed.

oldnumber53gmc020.jpg

I did it this way because the ends around the stake holes were in pretty bad shape and this gives me a clean edge.

oldnumber53gmc019.jpg

On the left over end peices, I sanded the flat area with my angle grinder. After that it was easy to find the spot welds. I drilled them out and with a quick burp of the air chisel I removed them.

oldnumber53gmc022.jpg

Here they are welded back into place.

oldnumber53gmc027.jpg

I did a quick mock up with the sides but I need more time and something to hold them at about the right height. More later.

Today I had a little time to do some more on the mock up. It's amazing the things I have discovered by doing this. I rolled into place the 8.5 Rear end with the coil springs and factory 4 link. controll arm set up. I seem to be warming up to this because It's what I have. I figure I could make the upper arms ajustable. Another thought would be to use coil over shocks. I even entertained using the struts off of some front wheel drive car for this. I'll need some time to mull it over.

oldnumber53gmc003.jpg

I'm still trying to get the wheel base figured out but this is closer.

oldnumber53gmc007.jpg

I took some time to fool around some with the bling bling on my hood. You gotta have the Rocket on a Olds powered Rod !

oldnumber53gmc004.jpg

Here another shot.

oldnumber53gmc010.jpg

I may end up using the factory fuel tank but I'll need to raise it a bit. Next I'll pull the tank out. I need to see about how much of a transmission tunnel I'll need.
More to come later.

love the drawing of the truck.

im digging the hood and the strecthed frame. There's only one thing wrong with the truck.... I need more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!! what gives ?u got me very interested in this low budget build....lets see some more please!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that some of you are interested in my project. Thankyou for your kind words. Today I got a few more things done. With the help of a freind and some panther **** I got the cowl vent un-stuck. I forgot how cool these things are.

oldnumber53gmc007-1.jpg

Today I took the grill off of the old truck and test fitted it to the front. As I anticipated it was a little too wide. I ended up taking 5" off of each side.

oldnumber53gmc008-1.jpg

After a little work with the cut off wheel.

oldnumber53gmc013-1.jpg

This is more like it. It have become clear as mud that I need to rework the frame horns. They are ugly as heck. Never fear I have a plan to fix them and cover up that steering box. !

oldnumber53gmc014.jpg

Today I talked to my contact and will be getting a 24' stick of 2x3 square tubing for the frame rails. Hope to have that and some more C02 / argon for the welder for too long. later

Latest posts

Back